Revisiting Duke - Genesis: It's actually good.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, May 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

I can't remember where I found this track sequence, either here or on Rate Your Music's forums. I was going to use the search engine on the latter but I'm receiving a "bad gateway" notice. And it's not here either: What if "Duke" by Genesis was a double album

Genesis - Duke Re-imagined

1. Behind the Lines
    2. Duchess
    3. Guide Vocal
    4. Man of Our Times
    5. Evidence of Autumn
    6. Misunderstanding
    7. Heathaze

8. Turn It On Again
    9. Open Door
    10. Alone Tonight
    11. Cul-de-sac
    12. Please Don't Ask
    13. Duke's Travels
    14. Duke's End

2. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The "Guide Vocal" reprise in Duke's Travels never fails to give me goosebumps.

bcaulf, videoman and pool_of_tears like this.
  3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Again and again, I ask myself, was I wrong?

:D

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And the double time reprise of the Turn It On Again melody in Duke's End, right before it goes back into the Behind The Lines reprise one more time...

CybrKhatru likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I like that one...and I normally don't rearrange album track listings :)

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I would make Duke shorter -- a 45 minute album:

Behind the Lines
    Duchess
    Guide Vocal
    Misunderstanding
    Evidence of Autumn

Turn It On Again
    Man of Our Times
    Cul-de-Sac
    Duke's Travels

ohnothimagen likes this.
  7. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Personally they lost me with And Then There Were Three..... but got me back with Duke, before losing me altogether thereafter. Not the best album they did, but the best of the pop-era albums by a very long way. If they'd released the Duke-Suite as a studio piece I think things might have gone differently, but we have had the chance to build it ourselves since!!!

SKean likes this.
  8. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

I like this idea, and I'll take it even further to optimize the sound on vinyl.

Side A 19:06
    Behind the Lines 5:31
    Duchess 6:40
    Guide Vocal 1:18
    Man of Our Times 5:35

Side B 19:37
    Turn It on Again 3:50
    Cul-de-Sac 5:02
    Duke’s Travels 8:41
    Duke’s End 2:04

And then how about three 7-inches singles released over the course of the album cycle, one each for Phil, Mike, and Tony?

Misunderstanding / Please Don’t Ask
    Alone Tonight / Open Door
    Evidence of Autumn / Heathaze

(Or is this too KISS-solo-album-y?)

And while I'm living in the land of make believe, how about a vinyl issue of all the live tracks from the 1980 shows that have been officially released so far? Could be a great special for Record Store Day or something.

Side A
    Deep in the Motherlode (Archive 2)
    One for the Vine (Three Sides Live UK)
    The Lady Lies (flexi-disc / Archive 2)

Side B
    Duke's Travels (Archive 2)
    Ripples (Archive 2)
    Follow You, Follow Me (Three Sides Live)

Pete Puma likes this.
  9. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Abacab and Duke are their 2 best albums, I think

10. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Genesis was my friend's favourite band and I remember him playing Duke for the first time. After he'd listened to the first three tracks, he removed the LP from the turntable and declared that that was the end for him and Genesis. The look of disappointment on his face said it all.

I have the 1980's Virgin CD. To my ears, the sound is awful with little bass and tinny drums.

audiotom likes this.
  11. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Revisit and listen to your Virgin Duke on a good modern CD player. Most 1980s CDs were mastered with a lot more dynamics vs their "remastered"
    counterparts. And Duke took a lot of listening for me to get into it. I think it's one of their best, while Abacab and later is more The Phil Collins Band
    vs a Genesis lineup.

CWChrome likes this.
  12. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I have an 80's Virgin CD and it sounds fantastic. Nice clear highs and good bass.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm mainly a fan of "pop Genesis", and "Duke" is the oldest album that I (mostly) warmly embrace.

It's really the one that demonstrates the most obvious crossover between "true prog" and pop - it straddles that fence better than any before/after, IMO.

"Abacab" is my favorite, and then either "Duke" or "Genesis". "Duke" showed a prog band starting to go pop, and "Genesis" showed a pop band moving away from prog.

Sorta. Of course, they'd never truly abandon prog - even as pop as it leans, "Invisible Touch" still had real stabs at prog.

But I do view "Duke" as a true transitional album...

Uncle Miles likes this.
  14. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I would call Duke only half good, thankfully I don't need to rearrange the tracks like many have done here because the band themselves did it right in the great 1980 Lyceum concerts where they did all the prog stuff together in one huge lump. If anyone hasn't checked those shows out, do so immediately, great energy!

Rojo, Instant Dharma and yesstiles like this.
  15. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I'll have to dig my copy out and have a listen.

16. On the studio version of Duke, Collins plays bongos on the first track.
    With Chester playing live, does anyone know if he ever played them on stage?

Cheers

Carlos

17. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I really do not like this album

TTWT was the last great album to me.

Misunderstanding was vomit inducing and Phil developed into that crooner voice

They tried too hard with that semi prog Duke's Travels suite.

Tony abandoned his keyboard sound entirely for more modernized toys

When TTWT came out I thought
    "Oh great - they are getter more airplay"
    With Duke "no, please no"

I like the puzzle shapes album better

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  18. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I very good album but I've always had a hard time listening to Man of Our Times. Lousy song with bad production. I can take one or the other, but not both.

Siegmund likes this.
  19. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I like Duke fine. Some of Phil's best drumming on a Genesis record.

I do think the drums sound a little funny - mostly because it's the first instance (at least that I know of) where Phil opened up his drum sound for a big, ambient tone. But they still had yet to build their own studio with a dedicated live drum room or, of course, discover the gated reverb effect. I give him credit for trying on Duke.

20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Love Duke.

You can also reimagine this
    Album if you try to plop In The Air Tonight somewhere in there. PC never intended to make a solo album in 1979 he was just writing songs.

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I do too. But just a smidge better. In fact Duke, Abacab, shapes...love em all.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Their last great album. The rest were patchy, or have dated badly.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I can understand why many hardcore fans hate "Misunderstanding" but I have loved that song since it came out. In fact, it was one of the reasons why I bought Duke almost 20 years ago. I was drawn in by the hit singles and loved most of the album as soon as I heard it. (I still have to be in the right mood to listen to "Duke's Travels" though.)

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  24. The 1980 and 81 tours were fantastic based on the audio evidence. I still kick myself for not catching them in '81, though I had a good excuse -I was in Army basic training and MOS training for the entire summer and fall of '81.

25. Yes, Duke is a transitional album and this transition started a bit earlier with And Then There Were Three which had their poppy hit Follow You, Follow Me but was still mostly a progressive album. I love progressive Genesis but consider Abacab a favorite and Duke, Genesis and Invisible Touch great albums.

Oatsdad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.