Revisiting Ryko Bowie

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 21, 2020.

1. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World and Hunky Dory were heavily imported to the UK as the Ryko's came out some time before EMI started their own releases (I bought the three of them on double LP and loved the clear vinyl..... I didn't have a CD player at the time). The others were a bit random, I have The Motion Picture on Ryko, I have no idea why.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

There was also a Ryko promo for Ziggy. My understanding is that the LP was the Ryko master with added surface noise to make the CD sound better :D. Nice........ "marketing"!

"To promote the re-release of the Ziggy Stardust album, Ryko first issued a combined LP and CD Press Kit (Promotional Only) featuring a faux-RCA black vinyl LP with intentional added surface noise (not to be confused with the clear vinyl commercial release) and a picture disk CD inside a plastic pouch in the gatefold jacket"

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Ryko press kit for Ziggy was fun. I had a copy myself, back in 1990.

Further info and photos here:

The Ziggy Stardust Companion - Rykodisc / EMI Re-issue 1990

4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

croquetlawns likes this.
  5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Impractical, I would have thought, to obtain the stampers from another company. You will notice that they weren’t allowed to use the RCA name on the mock LP labels, never mind the stampers!

It is a cute collectors’ item nonetheless.

croquetlawns likes this.
  6. Justin Case

Justin Case Forum Resident

I had the first 3 albums on double clear vinyl, just got Space Oddity left. I don’t remember seeing any further vinyl releases like the Ziggy and I was a regular visitor to Tower, HMV and Virgin in London at that time.
    That Ziggy promo vinyl with added surface noise looks great, wouldn’t mind having that.
    Got the 1990 EMI Pin Ups CD on (reminds me Bowie did a few Springsteen covers) and it sounds great. Original Sound And Vision box out to play next.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I've a feeling in my bones they were available around March 1990 as I did get Hunky Dory on order with its environmentally wasteful Long Box then.

8. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I'll be run off this board for saying it but I much prefer the 1990 EMI Diamond Dogs cd to the West German RCA.

9. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

You’re probably right with the WG, but I think the JPN for USA RCA will give it a good run for it’s money

10. aladdinziggydogs

aladdinziggydogs Forum Resident

I have the full set of rykos on cd and have always liked them better than the rca's, and i prefer the ryko ziggy motion picture sound track as it has the original wild eyed boy from free cloud,all the young dudes vocal on it!

JoeWild likes this.
  11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Are you sure about that? I would have guessed the later Parlophone version without the high vocal part at "really free" was the real live one, as the part doesn't sound as good as the high vocal version on the Ryko

12. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

The ryko was a straight reissue of the 1983 RCA which had overdubs inc that bit iirc

scobb likes this.
  13. aladdinziggydogs

Yes sorry you are right, i have just always preferred the ryko version as it was the first one i heard in the early 80s, even now when i play the new mix i am always waiting for "really freeeeeeeeeeeee" just love the way it flows into all the young dudes!

14. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I guess an advantage to not having particularly sensitive ears, and attending hundreds of loud concerts for twenty years, is that they always sounded fine to me. I have all of them, and enjoy the bonus material and packaging as well as the regular music. I never bought any subsequent Bowie reissue series' and doubt that spending an entire paycheck on RCA CD's would make me enjoy the music any more than I do the Rykos.

15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

That comparison says it all. Earlier is better.
    I play my Ryko issue Bowie discs with a -2db at 3khz and they sound just fine here.

16. John Buchanan

I have both versions and missed the high "Freeeee" that was in the Ryko version, although I just re-listened to it (on headphones) and think I can hear the high version in the background of the Parlophone version, covered by the deeper vocal. I could very easily be wrong, but why the lower vocal was used when they had the magnificent soaring Ryko version is beyond me.

scobb and aladdinziggydogs like this.
  17. aladdinziggydogs

I always loved that live version of "dudes" i just wish he had sung the full version!

fishyboots and John Buchanan like this.
  18. John Buchanan

Bowie had a wonderful way of singing the meter of a song - some of the lines almost have a beautiful skip rhythm - that very few vocalists were able to do.

Totti is god and muzzer like this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I still have Space Oddity & The Man Who Sold The World on those clear Rhino pressings. They look great. It's been a long time since I've played them, but I remember them sounding good. I used to have Hunky Dory too, but that had non fill during Changes so it went when I got the CD and an original LP.

20. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

GAD always says he sang like Frank Sinatra and I’m not gonna argue with her.

21. I got almost all the Rykos cds. Love ‘me and this thread.

22. aladdinziggydogs

Was playing ryko scary monsters today, great sounding cd and love the bonus tracks especially the version of space oddity!

23. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I think Scary Monsters probably had the strongest set of bonus tracks. Crystal Japan is my personal fave, But I also love Panic and the stripped down Space Oddity. Alabama Song... not so much!

fishyboots and CBackley like this.
  24. hefeman

hefeman Forum Resident

25. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Are we talking about the echo ?