The Beatles - Revolver - 2022 Remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deacon Blues, Aug 19, 2019.

1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The mono myth.

2. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

you know I seldom find on-line lyrics to be 100 accurate anyway, or song books for that matter
    they seldom line up exactly with the recording
    but I agree with you - I also do not consider a new lyric occurring spontaneously during a recording session to be a mistake when talking the singer songwriter who wrote the song
    that's just an on the fly edit to me

3. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Me too...

4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

No myth ~ while there are some copies of Revolver in circulation that are inexplicable stereo fold-downs to single channel (fake) mono, there IS a dedicated
    mono mix of Revolver that the Beatles made which difffers from the stereo mix, and which, if heard on the best vinyl pressings such as the Japan virgin red ('82?), is preferred by many over the alternate mix presented in stereo.

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

" You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose and you can pick your friend's nose but you can't pick your family " --- Bob Dylan

whohadd and Rich C like this.
  6. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Sometimes if you provide too many Christmas gifts to children, they'll quickly tear open all the packages and ask for more.

Clearly remixes have peaked. We haven't even gotten the Abbey Road product. But yet it's on to Revolver. So by April 2020, it will be on to Rubber Soul. Before Revolver has even come out. The problem is that new Beatles isn't what it used to be. All those years ago. It's a hamster wheel of needing more and more, trying in vain to reach the original high. Or trying to experience something missed out the first time.

Rich C, Dan The Man1, aravel and 3 others like this.
  7. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

this

8. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

He already did that, for Rock Band. Spoiler alert: "Norwegian Wood" still has the off-centered vocals. Best remix: "Run For Your Life"--George's lead guitar is triple-tracked across the stereo spectrum.

They did RS, Sgt. Pepper & Abbey Road. Why they didn't do Revolver too back then, absolutely mystifies me.

Upsiditus and ralph7109 like this.
  9. darryl hollingsworth

darryl hollingsworth Well-Known Member

The bigger than Jesus comment?

10. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

I guess we can discard The Beatles original intentions for their own albums...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  11. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

If you keep saying it, maybe it will become true...

saborlord123 likes this.
  12. peskypesky

My brother is a Beatlemaniac and has a crazy high end stereo, and he has mono mixes and stereo mixes of everything. He enjoys the mono mixes, and has played them for me on his system. I still prefer stereo. There's a reason stereo replaced mono.

13. peskypesky

14. saborlord123

Upsiditus likes this.
  15. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Everyone has their own preferences. The reason I prefer some mono mixes over their true stereo counterparts has zero to do with channel separation.

O Don Piano likes this.
  16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This thread has degenerated into the REALLY OLD AND TIRED 'canceling out' style of argument.
    Contrarians here just love to attack the base of those who prefer the accepted and actual fact that MOST (NOT ALL) Beatles mono mixes at least until 1968 are superior in sonics, and mixing placement.

I too was used to and grew up with the stereo mix of the Revolver album. When I heard the mono mix, it just sounded better and had more impact to me.

It's certainly NOT a "novelty", as someone ridiculously posted earlier. It's the way I listen to it and have for a long time. If the quickly done stereo mix was better, I'd admit it. I- and most of of us here- aren't 'married' to mono! Its just that at these mixes are superior.

17. peskypesky

But what would you say about a good stereo mix? Wouldn't it be preferable to a good mono mix?

18. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Yes.
    I'm as mono a guy as they come, and I'll take both of the stereo mixes of The Beatles over the mono. Same for the stereo mixes of the Yellow Submarine songs vs their mono counterparts on Mono Masters.

A Giles remix of Revolver could possibly be better than the mono mix. Only time will tell.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Past Masters and vonwegen like this.
  19. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. Why, because I have the mono lp. I love the mono mix, listen to the mono on an almost daily basis, feel no need to listen to the stereo, feel no need to listen to ANY other stereo version, even though I'm aware that's exactly what we're going to get, because that's how things are going with these Beatles reissues.

But what I'm really looking forward to, is the outtakes.

20. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

What is "the mono myth"?

21. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Waiting for the "Yellow Submarine should be replaced by Rain" lads to log on.

22. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

If Revolver and Rubber Soul are gonna get a remix, I want those guys who did the remixing for the Yellow Submarine Songtrack involved. They had the proper approach to breathing wonderful new stereo life into those mid-period Beatles tracks.

vonwegen, bhazen, marklamb and 5 others like this.
  23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Waiting for the posts advocating that the US version of Revolver be the model for the box set because it reflects Livingston and Dexter's absolute genius in creating a shorter, streamlined version to conform to the need of fans who want to listen to the album while showering, and styling their hair (if necessary), shaving (if necessary) and getting out the door.

jas621, Rich C, Dan The Man1 and 5 others like this.
  24. saborlord123

To the best of my knowledge: In the 60s, everyone listened to music in mono, and it was the common currency. The Beatles focused on the mono mixes of their songs because that's how a majority of people would hear it. Stereo mixes were sometimes thrown together in a number of hours, while mono mixes would be made in days. "The Mono Myth" is regarded by people who don't particularly like the mono mixes (which is fine opnion to have, but you cannot discard what The Beatles wanted for their albums as a "myth"). It also could be something else, and I could be completely wrong, but that's my understanding of it. Feel free to chime in anyone! :righton:

alexpop and Beatle Ed like this.
  25. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It’s terrible.

MPLRecords likes this.