RFD-TV air "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" weekly starting April 4

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Mar 13, 2021.

1. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

How neat! It's been years since I've seen this show, glad to see it will be aired again. About 10 or 15 years ago, they released some of these episodes on DVD and you'd sometimes find them in the bins at Walgreens, etc.

BradOlson and digdug67 like this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I miss that channel. :cry:

I think Wild, Wild World Of Animals had cooler music though.

digdug67 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I miss having RFD-TV also....

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

You can pay $9.99 a month to stream it though. For the link, go to Post #7.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. BradOlson

I just ordered a printed copy of Marlin's autobiography, BTW.

6. BradOlson

7. BradOlson

BTW, when it first premiered in 1963, it was aired on Sunday afternoons, and it moved to NBC's Prime Time lineup on January 7, 1968 and stayed there until April 11, 1971 and then after that time, it moved to first run syndication and stayed there until 1988.

8. BradOlson

9. BradOlson

10. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Always watched that as a kid. "Careful Jim, those snakes have been known to bite!"

BradOlson likes this.
  11. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

Marlin knew enough not to get out of the boat while Jim was more than happy to jump in the water and attempt to subdue the thirty foot anaconda.
    Then there was the time when on horseback they lassoed a grizzly bear for some reason and Jim dismounted and approached it, again for some unknown reason, when it got loose and Jim barely escaped by jumping up a tree.
    Entertaining show, too bad I don't get RFD.

12. BradOlson

As I have mentioned at Post #7 www.watchrfdtv.com allows you to stream it for $9.99 a month. Sign up on that site and either stream on your computer or a smart TV or streaming device. The app is "RFDTVNow"

You can also add the Sling Heartland Package to stream it and also AT&T TV has it available for streaming.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    barryalan likes this.
  13. BradOlson

The confirmed time of the Rural America Live segment about Wild Kingdom:
    Thursday 04/01/21 10:00P ET
    RURAL AMERICA LIVE
    Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
    Season #2021, Ep. 22
    * NEW * (2021) Host Peter Gros stops by to talk about the return of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, the show that introduced generations of young people to the wonders of the natural world returns to tv. Peter will also bring with him some of his friends as he talks about conservation efforts and 50 years of Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. The classic series returns to the air on RFD-TV starting Easter Sunday, with back-to-back episodes every Sunday night at 8pm ET/7pm CT.

BTW, RFD-TV is the only network that this series will air on. No Animal Planet, no network that would only run this program as an E/I program, etc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  14. BradOlson

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  15. BradOlson

RFD-TV Schedule :: Rural America's Most Important Network

Sunday 04/04/21 8:00P ET
    Designs for Survival
    Season #1, Ep. 1

The survival value of a wide range of protective devices used by wild creatures investigated and demonstrated.
    (Original air date: January 13, 1963)

Sunday 04/04/21 8:30P ET
    Capturing Wild Animals
    Season #1, Ep. 2

Marlin and Jim Fowler investigate trapping and capturing techniques both primitive and modern.
    (original air date: January 20, 1963)

Sunday 04/11/21 8:00P ET
    Myths and Superstitions
    Season #1, Ep. 3

Marlin debunks many of the baseless belief about living creatures from the fish to the gorilla with his firsthand knowledge.
    (original air date: January 6, 1963)

Sunday 04/11/21 8:30P ET
    Amazon River
    Season #1, Ep. 4

Mysteries of animal and native life in the Amazon River Valley.
    (original air date: March 3, 1963)

The original air dates came from Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom (1963-1987) - TheTVDB.com

16. BradOlson

When the show moved to Prime Time on NBC, this was when the show was aired in Eastern Time:
    BROADCAST HISTORY:
    Jan 1968-Jun 1968, NBC Sun 7:00–7:30
    Jan 1969-Jun 1969, NBC Sun 7:00–7:30
    Sep 1969-Jun 1970, NBC Sun 7:00–7:30
    Sep 1970-Apr 1971, NBC Sun 7:00–7:30
    (In first-run syndication from fall 1971-fall 1988)

Before 1968, it was on Sundays in the daytime on NBC.

17. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

While I still like some of what Animal Planet airs, it's not surprising that they wouldn't air "Wild Kingdom"- They rarely, if ever show true wildlife documentaries, let alone a series...

18. BradOlson

Which means that RFD-TV does make sense for Wild Kingdom. Animal Planet did have newly produced episodes air in the 2000s after a brief time rerunning the original series.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. BradOlson

I am glad that RFD-TV thought of the Prime Time value of this series. I bet that over the air rerun channels would only air this as an E/I mandated program. With Peter Gros himself appearing on Rural America Live in a few days promoting it and I have seen commercials on RFD-TV with Peter promoting the reruns.

20. BradOlson

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Stupid question: are they going to air it with the cutaways to the commercials intact? The show always stood out for me just for those incredibly-awkward segues going into a break.
    "The platypus is one of nature's most unexpected creatures. When you face the unexpected, Mutual Of Omaha is there for you." o_O Random whiplash, cue the sponsor! :laugh:

Simon A likes this.
  22. BradOlson

I bet that they will but we will find out.

23. BradOlson

Repeats of the Rural America Live show with Peter Gros promoting the reruns:
    Friday 04/02/21 2:00P ET
    RURAL AMERICA LIVE
    Season #2021, Ep. 22

* NEW * (2021) Host Peter Gros stops by to talk about the return of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, the show that introduced generations of young people to the wonders of the natural world returns to tv. Peter will also bring with him some of his friends as he talks about conservation efforts and 50 years of Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. The classic series returns to the air on RFD-TV starting Easter Sunday, with back-to-back episodes every Sunday night at 8pm ET/7pm CT.
    Saturday 04/03/21 6:00A ET
    RURAL AMERICA LIVE
    Season #2021, Ep. 22

24. BradOlson

25. BradOlson