Rhino Handmade returns.......soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

I just received an e-mail from Rhino Handmade that they will begin announcing releases soon. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I hope they have some decent releases in store

They also said that they won't announce titles for pre-order unless everything is completed and ready-to-go.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Sorry I'm not familiar with Rhino Handmade. What do they do? How are they different than regular Rhino?:)

Thanks,
    Dan C

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Limited Productions of Various Artists..Monkees(How many more times?) Young Rascals, etc. with a "Handmade" Care that they should have done the first time around.

4. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

That everything-but-the-kitchen-sink Rascals set looks awfully tempting.

6. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

The Monkees Headquarters Sessions is th one that's been tempting me for awhile now.

7. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

OOP

...you better hurry. The Headquarters set is close to being out of print. It's worth every penny.

8. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

I agree on the Monkees "Headquarters" Rhino Handmade set. Very good sound, nice selection of outtakes and it closes with the orginal mono mix of the album (lotsa differences from the stereo version).

In another thread I spoke about the Rascals Handmade set, but to recap: The sound of the first three albums is DEFINITELY superior to the old WSP versions from the late 80's. The other five albums (including the "Time/Peace" hits collections are very strong. Certainly the tracks repeated from the early 90's Rascals "Anthology" sound better, some more so than others.

The mono singles, all but one from "I Ain't Gonna Eat..." through "Heaven") are also top notch, at least when I A/Bed them against the few original 45's I still have.

My three minor complaints are: most of the tracks from the "Time/Peace" album are EXACTLY the same as their orginal album counterparts; a spoken portion from "Once Upon A Dream" entitled "Dave And Eddie" is missing, despite being listed in the credits and despite being on the Rhino vinyl reissue of the album from the 1980's; and the last few singles, which were stereo releases, for the most part mirror the album versions already included in the package.

Still, the good (and great) more than outweigh the bad. You just have to figure out if it is worth about $120, including shipping and tax. For me, obviously, it was.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought THe Fugs set, one of the Jo Jo Gunne packages, and the Wild Man Fischer.
    A friend bought the Stalk-Forrest Group set (early B.O.C.)

I'm hoping they will return with some nice out-of-print stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.