Rhino Records no longer exists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by child of nature, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

2. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

That's the same press release linked upthread. And of course we (well, evidently some of us) all know that companies are bound by law, ethics and personal honor to speak only absolute truth in press releases.

Grant, Axis, etc.: so after the pipeline has been cleaned out, to whatever degree it is, who's going to be putting together the new stuff? (I will concede that they might virtually completely restaff the company, but that seems unlikely at this point).

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

that's news to me, too. Any word on the quality or contents?

Of course, even at a much healthier time for the company and industry, they held onto early Gram Parsons tapes they had the rights to, so who knows if anything would have been done with this Stooges tape regardless. But it sounds like a promising Rhino Handmade project!

4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Businesses, especially small ones often lay off workers during adverse times only to rehire staff when things turn around. Often when they rehire, they hire people with different skillsets because they have tweaked their business model. it sounds like Rhino may be focusing more on selling over the internet rather than retail outlets, so they may need more tech people and less reps to deal with retail stores. I don't see how that is so hard to believe.

5. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

But they let compilers go.

6. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

It is hard to believe since Rhino are NOT a small independent reissue label, they are part of the corporate decision chain at Warner and have practically no independence or individual policy whatsoever. It's what the guys at the top office say, not what they want, that goes... regardless of how much they might be loving what they do.

The statement is very clear - you just need to know how to read it - the name stays the purpose changes - it's 100 % digital.

7. Raylinds

yes, but manufacturing companies often let people go that are critical to the process when they have excess inventory, then they rehire them when the inventory is worked off.

8. Raylinds

Yeah, they may very well be going to downloads and little or no physical product.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Labels very frequently purchase unreleased stuff they would presumably have the rights to issue just to keep it off the market. Very frequently.

In evaluating a project for release, the following are considered

1) Can label make an acceptable profit (calculation includes direct and indirect costs, e.g. the staffers who are putting it together could otherwise be working on another project)
    2) Are there legal entanglements
    3) Artist wishes (not always)
    4) Does this project pre-empt another project of higher priority (once unreleased stuff appears, its value to a subsequent project--e.g. a boxed set--is diminished)

If 1-4 are satisified, then the project can be CONSIDERED for a green light. It may still get canned, depending on resources and release schedule.

The question many of you would like to be considered--would it be a treat for the fans to get this out?--is almost never considered, except as it impinges (1). Prestige reissues, done to add shine to the label and not expected to turn a profit, are few and far between unless you are the Smithsonian.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

So true, sometimes a live tape can be considered for bonus tracks, like Funhouse remaster w/ 3 live bonus tracks. Then five years later a new box set with a live disc (almost complete tape), etc.

But time is running out, clock is ticking, end game is near.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This is largely true. Companies, when they go through a business model or even just a regime change, don't like to keep staff that was either loyal to a previous boss, or were steeped in a different way of doing business. It causes friction. And, when you're dealing with a business without a union to protect the lower-to-middle level worker, or even a few key high-level ones, and a business where few are watching, or even care, they can pretty much do what they want, especially if it's in a contract.

12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Imagine what type of people they will bring in........ OH NO! since they won't be releasing much they should just have one guy doing the releases Bill Inglot :righton:

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

So, did the prices of all of the Rhino label CDs suddenly inflate on eBay?

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Just wanted to let you music industry types know that Cheryl Pawelski is setting up a consultancy. She should get very busy soon. If you need her email address or phone number, PM me..

Thanks!

15. doowop365

doowop365 …and Spaghetti

Apparently Cheryl is a local celebrity, of sorts. I didn't know she was from my neck of the woods (and a Packer fan, too!). Hope she's doing well with her new company!

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/115070024.html

16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Guess what guys, the hysteria was warranted. I've been hunting down sealed Rhino cd's for the past 2 years since I found this thread in 2012. Almost the entire Rhino catalog is gone forever. I'm just glad I found this thread and started the hunt before it was too late, now I'm almost done. I now have an awesome collection of Rhino cd's! What a great company they were, still in existence I guess, but not really. Their licensing ability was amazing, I have so many various artist compilations with licenses from a dozen or more different companies. Not to mention the artist comps that cover the artists career comprehensively by licensing from different labels. It's mind boggling and it will never happen again.

RIP Rhino Records, the greatest American reissue company that ever was and ever will be. Thank you Rhino, you will always remain in my heart. I can't find a heart emoticon, damnit.

17. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

NP: "Music In My Bones: The Best of Joe Simon".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.