Rhino Records no longer exists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by child of nature, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

First GroovyFab and now this...urgh! What's an oldies fan to do :shake:

2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I guess any chance we have for any interesting reissues will be DL only...hope they start offering a lossless option soon...

3. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Well, many of you forum members wanted Andrew Sandoval to tell us why Rhino stopped releasing Monkees product. I guess now that his employment there at Warner Music Group will be ending, he will soon tell us what we want to know.......at a point when knowing won't make any difference.

4. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Thank God we got the LA Nuggets sets just in time!

5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Very, very sad. Rhino always used to give me copies when I did reviews, sets, comps, no questions and did so promptly. Got to agree with what was said about Rhino and Bill Inglot, yep, true.

6. How many were there and how many are still left standing?

Very sad to hear but major cutbacks are not unexpected from a WMG owned label when the rapid and steady decline of physical CD music sales factor in.

7. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

Warner Music bought the "Rhino" name & logo, but the label's spirit and soul long ago went to Shout Factory.

8. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Another sad ending that began years ago with the departure of Bill Inglot. Wow.. Rhino no more.

9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

10. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Major cutbacks don't necessarily mean that the label (per the amended subject line) no longer exists -- just that the chances of any more Big Star box sets are limited.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Bingo! Rhino might be dying quickly, but they aren't dead yet.

12. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Nah -- Harold Bronson, Richard Foos, Gary Stewart (maybe the soul of the label), James Austin, Bob Emmer...all long gone.

13. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Well, it's hard to see a bright side to something like this, but I'll make the effort. First, if Rhino is shut down -- that is, if Warner essentially gets out of the business of releasing individual back catalog titles as well as compilations and box sets in physical form (i.e., optical disc) -- perhaps Warner will be more willing to license this material to audiophile labels like Audio Fidelity and MoFi and reissue-oriented labels like Shout Factory (which was founded by former Rhino execs), Sundazed and Collectors' Choice. Second, it's quite possible that as the market for CDs in general and reissues in particular shrinks, that specialty labels will respond by releasing even more deluxe products. After all, if you view the market for reissues as either fixed or shrinking, it may be that there's greater profit to be realized through collector-oriented releases. Third, many smaller labels have done an amazing job with reissues -- the recent Collectors' Choice singles collections being just one recent example. So the end of Rhino in no way means the end of high quality reissues.

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I would support a Federal bailout for Rhino.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You know who this hurts most? The guys who won the Rhino trivia contests over the years and got a "lifetime" supply of all Rhino releases. In fact, at least one of those guys sometimes posts on these forums...

(Not trying to be flip here...Of course it hurts all the people who worked there, all of us who enjoy reissues, etc...)

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe Dr. Rhino knows CPR and can save the ill patient? :)

17. Attached Files:

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yep.

And once Warner got a hold of the label the original spirit was gone.

Remember the those fun Rhino catalogs from the 80's and early 90's? We never saw those again once the corporation took over. :mad:

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah; because some guy who won't get free CDs for life anymore is in a much worse position than somebody who lost their job... :rolleyes:

20. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

this is sad news

21. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Yep.

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

This explains why Dr. Rhino never responded to me about the New Order replacement discs, I guess. Sad news. I hope they can carry on in some capacity at least.

23. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

So what's going to happen to all the new Grateful Dead product that Rhino was supposed to be working on?

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Assuming the worst, I really hope Shout Factory picks up The Monkees catalog and does it Justus.. er.. justice.. like Rhino did.

25. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I stll treasure dearly the 70's Have A Nice Decade 7-disc box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.