Rhino Records no longer exists?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by child of nature, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I guess that the rumor of the non-Beatles "Apple" catalogue going to Rhino(even if this was intended at one time) is not to be.

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Promo CDs and LPs came that way as well.
    If it's jacket wasn't stamped "promotional: not for sale", it was knoched, drilled, or had it's corner clipped off so it could not be returned for credit.

You could see the writing on the wall when one of the Rhino founders jumped ship and started Shout Factory. They gave me many years of enjoyable records starting with the novelty years in the late 70s, the great re-issues of the early 80's, and lavish boxsets in the 90's. They will be missed.

3. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

You can get that box set cheaper elsewhere. Also, be careful about purchasing it, as many of the lower and middle numbers had quality defects. Rhino ceased providing replacements for defective items related to that set months ago, so if you get a bad one, you are stuck with it now.

4. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

R.I.P Rhino -I remember my first Rhino Lp and they even included a comic-book with the record.They kept a lot of the old groups going ...they will be missed.

Attached Files:

5. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Not surprising but still very sad news just the same. The Rhino Handmade series was great and some very unique releases were put out from that division of Rhino. The company was only a shell of what it was in it's prime the past few years though after Bill Inglot left them. I have plenty of great Rhino releases and comps.
    My fave is the the "Have A Nice Day" 25 Volume Series. I never did find Vol. 11 at a decent price point yet though and thats the only one I need to complete that series collection.

6. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

ah this is too bad, my friends had just signed papers to be on the soundtrack of the new Jason Reitman film Up in the Air, so this was going to be their real label debut, but I suppose it won't be out on Rhino now.

7. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Does not surprise me. Warners has sucked big-time ever since that Segrams heir took it over.

Only exceptions have been the Sound Matters vinyl series that Steve has mastered.

Not that the other majors are any better.

8. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Seems to be AOK at the moment.

http://www.rhinorecords.com/

There's gotta be some peeps to run the joint and function as a music outlet.
    You can't just dump an amazing Big Star set and an new gigantic Nuggets set onto the public without having some worthy individuals there to run the label, whomever it may be.

And it seems to me that you can't simply abandon a long-term and highly reputable label like Rhino, when they put out so much good material. Something doesn't smell right.

9. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Rhino isn't quite folding up, it's just pining for the savanna.

Can you read properly? Rhino IS folding up: they're letting almost all their employees go, including the ones that were working on projects (the A&R department).

What they're keeping at WMG is the brand and it will be reused for things that have little to do with the current Rhino operations. The Variety piece is mostly PR spin. Nobody at WMG would acknowledge that they're shutting down a label (which means failure), so the spin is that they're only evolving the label into an entity with new objectives (which means proactivity instead).

Until yesterday, the guys from Rhino were basically in charge of all the Warner back catalog and a few extra projects, anthologies involving licensing from other labels. Now, there will be a new back catalog team at Warner, mostly focused on digital downloads, and it will operate under the old Rhino moniker.

Rhino did an amazing job and almost single-handedly created the quality reissue market. I've got so many good memories when I opened and listened to a Rhino release for the first time. I'm a little sad to see the end of the road for the label and the team and I hope they'll find another place to express their taste and their talents.

10. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Man they had some awesome box sets That 90's Whatever box set was over the top with the coffee beans and the packaging even though they couldn't get every important Artist from the 90's on there it saved me a lot of hassle and money if I were to track down everyone of those songs I didn't have. I was hoping someday they would have made a Grunge or 90's Hiphop box or a Boyband box set j/k. But now it looks like "And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain ..."

11. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

I hate to do it, but I told you so :(

12. mfp

mfp Senior Member

So sad...

RIP Rhino...

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Mike, I couldn't agree more, I'm new here and I admit I'm no audiophile but I can detect good remastering from bad and just like the majority here I don't like brick walling or excessive noise reduction, but I think some of the extreme views held by some on here actually put off new members like myself from joining or daring to speak for fear of being shot down.

The likes of Rhino, Ace Records in the UK, Sundazed, Hip O etc are essential for keeping great music alive that most of the majors couldn't give a damn about, so this is a very sad day indeed especially for those poor souls who worked hard to benefit us all and are now sadly out of work.

14. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

Graham!

We are not ALL like that! Some of us actually listen to the music rather that the electronic waves on the osciloscope ;)

Welcome and speak up your mind!

15. hodgo

Hi Adam, thanks for the welcome and for the thoughts it's really nice of you, I'm glad to say I know not everybody here is like that and I'm learning a lot from being here. I love my music and just want to visit somewhere with like-minded folks who are not just dedicated to a single artist, so I'd like to stick around though I am a little nervous at posting sometimes even though I feel a different opinion is sometimes needed (Not saying mine is right though) :)

16. davers

davers Forum Resident

As a new wave fan, I especially want to give a shout out to the "Just Can't Get Enough" series from Rhino. That includes New Wave Women, New Wave Dance, New Wave Christmas, and the New Wave Halloween cds. The Power Pop, Hang the DJ, and Left Of The Dial sets are a blast too.

I think my first Rhino memories were the Jonathan Richman and Kinks cds in the late 80s.

17. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

It's not about being "right" or "wrong" (although many people often think they are always right and others are always wrong - just human nature), it is about education. You can learn a lot here and although weeding the stuff that is interesting to you from all that is posted here is a skill, overall there are many knowledgable people here, who love to share their love of music with others.

18. hodgo

Absolutely it's about sharing the hobby & learning, talking about learning I've found something here thats really helpful to me at the moment, I'm thinking of buying some of the Traffic CD's to replace my vinyl which I hardly ever listen to, I've just read that it's the US versions of these albums I should seek out rather than the UK versions so that has been really useful indeed, anyway thats going off topic so I'll put that to bed. :)

19. reverberationmusic

reverberationmusic Forum Resident

I just today from California to Michigan got that deluxe Grateful Dead book I pre-ordered from Rhino! (my card hasn't been charged yet, was supposed to ship with the next Dead CD box) wow, I'll miss Rhino.

20. Jazzis

Jazzis Forum Resident

The Rhono box-sets of Coltrane, Coleman & Mingus disappearing from the market will leave a great hole.... what a shame.

Sign of the times....

21. This is very sad news. No other major label could do reissues quite like Rhino did. Audiophile labels may have given us better sound, but when it came to track selection for boxed sets or anthogies and packaging, there's no company in the world quite like Rhino.

22. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Sad news indeed.

I wonder what happens to The Doors Live in New York box set.

23. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

One of the last boxes looks to be maybe the Live Sinatra in New York.

24. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

They were the first and the best. I remember when the guys just had the store even before they had the label. Once when I was on tour in Florida I saw a Rhino record in a store and it was a big deal because it meant they made it out of California. Heck, they even let me make an album for them. Long live The Rhino.

25. hodgo

I see no reason why this can't go ahead or that the Rhino back catalogue can't stay in print, after all Rhino is owned by Warners and my guess is that they just decided to cutback on having a dedicated department for such future issues, so there should be no reason for what's now in print not staying in print.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.