Rhino Remixes "Chicago Transit Authority" for 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, Jun 26, 2019.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right. I was hoping remix might including mixing the guitars out of Free Form Guitar. Sort of an extended homage to John Cage.

That would definitely improve the quality of the album.

Comet01 and walrus like this.
  2. jamiehowarth

jamiehowarth Senior Member

That's over-broad. The original tech was good, the original producer was excellent, the mixes are fine. It's not tradionalist. There are other cases where the original mix was not hi-fi. This ain't one of them. But if the band wants it remixed it's their call.

3. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

Have not heard the MS Gold. Or the vinyl of CTA which I'm sure sounds very nice. The newer Mofi tamed the brass which was a good thing.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The MFSL was a flat transfer, and the Mastersound CD seems like it probably was as well. The two are extremely similar.

5. Freezerburn

That's surprising about the MS Gold because I've heard maybe 5 seventies titles and I thought the EQ was kind of heavy (Boston, James Taylor)

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I haven't seen any comments from Doug Sax about it, but as noted, it sounds extremely similar to the MFSL, so any EQ had to have been minimal.

I believe Group Portrait didn't have much EQ either for that matter.

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

What I like the most on Sax-remastered Mastersound Gold CD CTA is its warmer tube sound.

Freezerburn and pdenny like this.
  8. Freezerburn

Group Portrait I've never owned. The Mofi CTA compared to a Japan pressing I had (Teicku I think is the spelling) sounded much flatter and the brass was easier on the ears. I just assumed the Mofi had the upper mids dialed back. But it sounds flat as a pancake. Another example of heavy EQ on a MS Gold is Wish You Were Here which is way heavy on the bass. The original 2 track 35DP smokes it.

9. Freezerburn

Yes those gold MS have that quality. James Taylor JT sounds like that although I think its bass heavy.

10. AudiophilePhil

I did not find the James Taylor JT bass heavy at least in my system. I think it sounds great with that bass foundation.

11. Freezerburn

I remember when I did the shootout the original Columbia sounded more natural, but the MS Gold had more analog warmth, but was more bass heavy.
    On my system that was my take. In the end in this case it's a preference. The MS Gold in no way sounds bad.

12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It is superb! But subsequent Columbia pressings don't sound nearly as good.

Chemguy and AudiophilePhil like this.
  13. AudiophilePhil

I believe one should get the two-eye 1969-1970 Columbia pressings to hear CTA at its best. The two-eye's bass is superb.

Timothy Fiacco and AnalogJ like this.
  14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

There was a Rhino reissue several years back that was supposed to sound really good. But I can tell you that the circular Columbia label seriously pales next to my 2-eye.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Intruiging, will keep an eye on this thread.

16. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Anyone know if there will be a 5.1 ?

17. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite albums but, like many others have stated, I’m going to sit tight with the excellent versions I already have, at least for the time being.

Vic_1957 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  18. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure it would have been mentioned already. Regardless, I have the 5.1 mixes of Chicago II and V and never play them because the original quad mixes are so much better for the multichannel experience.

19. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

Personally, I would rather have the original mono single mixes reissued digitally. (They were dedicated, right? I recall @Steve Hoffman talking about Columbia being a "union shop" that never did folds. BTW, how long did that policy last? Seemingly for at least couple more years beyond the release of this album, since I remember Steve specifically saying Bob Dylan's 1971 single "Watching The River Flow" had a dedicated mono mix.)

Or did I miss that happening already at some point?

20. tages

tages Senior Member

It’d be hard to top the original 2 eye Columbia - played it the other night and was blown away by the sound. What a band.

[​IMG]

John Bliss, Vic_1957, FVDnz and 3 others like this.
  21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Here's a couple of photos of the room CTA was mixed in, according to one of the captions:

[from here: Vintage Sessions]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They apparently show the room some months later (mixing Tom Rush s/t) - Ampex MM-1000 configured for 16-track operation and 8 x Dolby A301 2-channel units...

[​IMG]

Don Puluse is mentioned as mixing CTA with Jim Guercio in this room - is that right? Puluse was the credited engineer on the next 3 Chicago albums but Fred Catero is credited on CTA.

If not, maybe it was Chicago that was mixed in this room?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    BeatleJWOL and AudiophilePhil like this.
  22. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Free Form Guitar's great.

23. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I agree this album doesn't "need" a remix. (And there will always be the argument about whether to remix an album or not). But I'm all for a remixing an album just to hear a new perspective if someone wants to put the time and effort into it. Especially if the original mix is always available. So I'll definitely give it a good listen. However, I can't imagine it's going to be much different. But what a great album.

24. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

More Cowbell

Vic_1957 and Octavian like this.
  25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist