Rhino Remixes "Chicago Transit Authority" for 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Remember, back in 2003, or whenever it was, he finally commented on the Rhino remasters after the blow-up about the use of compression. he acknowledged that they weren't audiophile.

It's in the explanation where Rhino invited him to fly to L.A. to supervise the remix. Loughnane wanted to stay home with his family and had his management find someone closer to his home.

Are you testing me or something?o_O Maybe this was all posted before you joined the thread?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That was 2003. That doesn't mean he would necessarily comment on anything today.

What are you talking about? Are you thinking of this?

"Tim’s work with Chicago began in 2010 after he met Lee Loughnane, a new Sedona resident and original member of Chicago. At the time, the band were finishing a concert DVD/Blu‑Ray titled Chicago In Chicago, featuring the Doobie Brothers. Management wanted Lee to fly to LA to oversee the 5.1 mix for the concert film, but Lee was home between tours and asked management to find someone in Sedona who could provide 5.1 mixing services so he would not have to be away from his family."

Restoring & Mixing Chicago At The Isle Of Wight

That mentions neither Rhino nor the CTA remix.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. Grant

I didn't say he would. Strawman argument?

My bad. I indeed conflated the two scenarios.

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I bought this on a whim the other day THEN checked here before I opened it. Took it right back this morning. Got the Elvis 1969 RSD in exchange.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, you definitely inferred it:

If Loughnane regularly comments about this type of thing, then you would probably be right. But if the last time he was heard from was 2003, it isn't really safe to say the reason we're not hearing from him now is because he knows Jessup did a poor job.

6. Grant

That wasn't a fact. That was my speculation, which is still allowed. I was carefully worded my post to make that much clear and to leave an out.

Anyway, I highly doubt we'll ever hear any more about it from anyone involved, and I suspect the only reason the forum member above got his refund was because he was highly persistent.

7. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

I just found a mint copy of this in the $3 CD bin. I figured for $3...why not

8. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

You'll soon have your answer.

tenor1, pdenny, nick99nack and 8 others like this.
  9. Grant

We haven't heard back from him. Maybe he had a stroke from the horrible new mixes.

nick99nack likes this.
  10. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

hahahhhahaahahahaha ah hah ah hahahahaaa

11. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

I'm sure that with 62 pages that I don't have time to scroll through right now someone was mentioned this, but oh, that Steven Wilson had been passionate about doing this one like he did with Chicago II. I have the original, the Quadio, and the MOFI, so I won't even bother being disappointed. I bought the first remaster/remix, and quickly got rid of it, because it was so painfully horrible.

12. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

The idea of remixing CTA came from Chicago/Tim Jessup. They likely saw the response to Steven Wilson's remix of Chicago and they thought well, if the fans like remixes, let's have our guy do it.
    They literally have no idea who this Wilson guy is or why their second album NEEDED to be remixed.
    Amazing, yet true.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not terribly surprising, unfortunately.

Grant and RoyalScam like this.
  14. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

CTA doesn't need any remixing, remastering or anything for that matter. All we need is the original mix and the Quadio. Why kcuf with perfection??

15. Grant

I can go for a quality remaster, but it certainly never needed a remix.

16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I have no issue with the concept of a remix. As has been stated, we already have available options for the original mix that sound great.

In this case, it's the actual execution of this remix and mastering that is the issue.

17. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Is this the same remix that everyone says is terrible or was it redone? Says 2019 remix by Chicago I believe.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's only one.

JediJoker and longdist01 like this.
  21. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

22. Grant

23. Grant

It's the same horrible mix. I had to temporarily enable Adobe Flash to hear it. HD Tracks needs to get rid of it.

PTgraphics likes this.
  24. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

But it's the high definition horrible mix. It must sound better.

gregorya, Grant, lukpac and 1 other person like this.
  25. BarryStanky

BarryStanky Forum Resident

I am so glad I came here and checked the reviews before plunking down some $$ to download the HD Tracks Hi-Res version of this remix. I will save my money.

BTW: I agree with those who have expressed their love of the Steven Wilson remix of Chicago (aka Chicago II). He did a fantastic job with that great album. I wish they allowed him to work on this one.

Larry L and JediJoker like this.