Rhino Rocktober Releases 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ndoheny, Aug 23, 2021.

1. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Eh guess I'll pass. Nothing here on my radar

2. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I did the same, $25.80 each, taxes included. Even though I have original pressings of all four, I couldn’t resist at that price.

3. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Anyone pick up Lou Reed New York ? Was on the fence about this release.

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It should be the same as what is in the recent box set. I held off on that box because I figured this one would be coming as a standalone.

Actually will be my first time hearing this album! Crazy I know.

5. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Got the 4 bunnymen albums in black vinyl, local store got them early. Sounded good to me but I only have compilations of this band. Ocean rain definitely seemed dynamic at least, a couple spots I had to mess with my volume in my headphones.

All 4 were good flat pressings.

Ocean Rain might have BG on there but don’t hold me to that. Sometimes I mistake his initials for others. I have to check the others

Sean, JeffMo, srsch and 3 others like this.
  6. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Seems like good news! I would love to know the deadwax info on the others if you could post them.

7. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Sounds like some potential good news. Please keep us informed. How do they sound?
    My Bullmoose order got cancelled, so I switched to Lunamusic. Looks like they'll ship tomorrow. Will report back when they arrive.

jimhb likes this.
  8. hossafer

hossafer Forum Resident

Got my copy of Crocodiles today. Haven't listened yet, but not seeing a "BG" in the deadwax. Seeing "VV", but not sure who that is.

9. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Can you determine where it was pressed?

10. PanPDX

PanPDX Well-Known Member

I just received Ocean Rain and Heaven Up Here from Bull Moose even though I ordered all 4. Both black vinyl. The shrink wrap for both also has a sticker that says "Remastered 180gram heavyweight vinyl". By remastered Rhino couldn't mean the Andy Zax remasters could they? Dead wax on Heaven Up Here is BK08118-01 A1 on Side1. On Side 2 there is what looks like VG or V6 etched in. Is the BK a designation of the pressing plant?

superstar19 and Echoes Myron like this.
  11. PanPDX

PanPDX Well-Known Member

Ok, I answered my own question. It looks like BK is Bill Kipper from Masterdisk. Haven't heard his name before.

superstar19 likes this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'd venture a guess that unless the "BG" is floating somewhere on its own in the deadwax, it's actually part of the optimal pressing plant scheme. if that's the case i'm scared given how poor their QC has been lately.

13. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Why am I interested in "Performance"? Strange I suppose but I am.

14. imail724

imail724 Forum Resident

I pre-ordered all 4 Bunnymen reissues together from Zia a little over a month ago. Today I received 3 different emails containing 3 different tracking numbers for the 4 records. Odd.

15. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Is it weird that I’m thankful that there is nothing I need or want?

marcb, Sean and The Elephant Man like this.
  16. MOoz

MOoz Well-Known Member

XY#####-ZZ is the matrix scheme of Optimal Records. I guess this was pressed at Optimal Records. There is also a mastering engineer at Optimal Records that signs with the initials BK.

patient_ot and c-eling like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Optimal Germany
    B=Format K=Year, this being 2020

4-2-7 and patient_ot like this.
  18. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Were the colored Echo LPs always exclusive to Rhino? I seem to remember them being indie variants too, did it get switched at some point?

TheMovieRad likes this.
  19. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

For folks having trouble getting the Echo and the Bunnymen records for Rocktober, I checked in with my LRS today and learned they were heavily allocated—lots of shorted orders. But the label is saying there will be a standard-weight (i.e. not 180g) release in January 2022.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Maybe try Jackpot Records (Portland Oregon) online webstore. I ordered all four Echo & The Bunnymen reissues just a few days ago, after they flew under my radar for weeks, and just got a "they've shipped" notification from Jackpot this morning. Considering how late I got my pre-order in, yet they were able to fulfill my order, they might still have some in stock to sell?

Electric Sydney likes this.
  21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Arrived from Bull Moose:

[​IMG]
    Various ‎– Performance: Original Motion Picture Sound Track
    Label:
    Warner ‎– RCV1 2554, Warner ‎– 603497843916
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Reissue, Yellow

Released:
    15 Oct 2021
    Genre:
    Electronic, Rock, Funk / Soul, Blues, Stage & Screen
    Style:
    Blues Rock, Acoustic, Abstract, Psychedelic, Soundtrack

snorker likes this.
  22. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Damn. Got me excited there as I thought it was the soundtrack version which I love. Good to see NY is getting a release at last.

23. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I don't think the Echo releases are Rocktober. There is no Rocktober sticker on them. The ones that came out today don't have Rhino listed anywhere on them. They only list Warner Music UK. I know Rhino is a division of them, but Rhino releases usually have Rhino plastered all over them.

Check out this article

ROCKTOBER 2021: Iggy Pop, School of Rock, Lou Reed, P.O.D. and More | Rhino

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Only ocean rain had what I thought looked like BG on one side but I don’t think that’s what it was. I haven’t had a chance to look at them again recently

25. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Listening to Rocktober Porcupine right now. Straight away it's got a gradual but very large warp. No indication in the deadwax of who cut it. Certainly no BG, CB or KPG. My first impression was that it is pretty quietly cut, kind of recessed and lacking top-end life. Just out of curiosity I compared The Cutter and Back of Love to an original US Sire pressing and an original German Korova pressing. The US pressing clearly has a high-end boost. It's actually kinda spitty. The original German pressing is wonderfully balanced and has lively high-end. There is a splash cymbal in the right channel on The Cutter that is buried on the Rocktober version, but very present on the others. Honestly, it seems like the cymbals are totally buried on the Rocktober version. It seems like top end has been totally rolled off on this cut. The character of the original vinyl mastering was certainly not used as a reference on these reissues. Of course a big part of that is the fact that the original pressings are imprinted on me. They were what I grew up on, so take my impression with a grain of salt. The original German pressing is the clear winner, at least on my modest system. My initial impulse is to return the other three that I bought without opening them. I guess I had hoped for some revelatory all analog remastering by Bernie grundman or Chris Bellman. In my dreams I guess.