Rhino Rocktober Releases 2021 Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ndoheny, Aug 23, 2021.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Guys like FA are stuck in sense. They have to work with the source material provided by the label (often pre-compressed) and the label may cheap out in other ways as well.

c-eling and hi_watt like this.
  2. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

Yeah, I’m not trying to be mean—I’m sure FA is a lovely human! Anyway, I’ll let the convo get back to the actual topic of the thread …

c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

others already thanked you for your reviews but i'd still like to as well, so: thank you for these!

i still need a decent copy of heaven up here so i might give it a shot but i can't really say that i'm too surprised by the things you said given the fuzzy/non-existent details surrounding these reissues.

patient_ot and Jerry James like this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Given the overall disappointing reviews here on the Bunnymen Rereleases of their first 4 Albums, it is too bad that @IR Shane was not able to get access to an agreement to have IR rerelease these Albums(remastered by KG or RS) on Vinyl and SACD. Anyways, money saved and I still need to buy The Church ‘Starfish’ IR release.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  5. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Weird seeing myself namechecked on here.

c-eling, patient_ot and hi_watt like this.
  6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

How’s this ? Was considering picking this up.

Shawn, patient_ot and hi_watt like this.
  7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The PERFORMANCE soundtrack is one of my favorites. I haven’t been able to find out any details on source or who mastered it yet. That being said, it sounds great, with much deeper bass, especially on the Moog tracks, than the old WB CD.

Chris Bernhardt and snorker like this.
  8. TurtleIsland

TurtleIsland Forum Resident

I live in Arizona and Zia does a weird thing where they ship out from any one of their six stores. Therefore, it's conceivable that four different stores could ship out each record to you.

imail724 likes this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I figured you hung around this place Matt :laugh:
    What's your complete dead wax say?

10. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I’m currently listening to the new Porcupine and it has a lot of non-fill during side A. Avoid.

11. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

More on Porcupine: I just compared The Cutter on the new Porcupine lp vs The Cutter off my US original Sire pressing of Songs to Learn and Sing. In case you did not know, the Cutter is the last song on side A. Anyway, the original Sire version of the Cutter easily bests The Cutter off the new pressing. The Sire has more treble and is cut louder, but just sounds better than the new pressing.

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

thanks for taking one for the team - what a missed opportunity

13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I am through the first two Echo & TBM LPs.

Music is fantastic. Sound is good, not great.

14. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I was literally thinking as I listened to it : “Well, sometimes you have to take one for the team.”

15. rolli

rolli Forum Resident

As a new fan of Echo & TBM, I purchased all four of the Rocktober releases. I just don't see the vinyl in the wild here... did see a Sire press of Heaven Up Here once... but that was before I was a fan, so passed on it. This seemed like an opportunity to get them at a good price.

I listened to Heaven Up Here today... the pressing is quiet and flat however I was not fan of the mastering. I tweaked the tone controls until it sounded more to my liking. I did enjoy the album way more after that. Great record.

These are the only pressings I have, so nothing to compare them to. Not a big enough fan at this point to start searching out better and more expensive presses... give me time!

16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Any more reviews of Ocean Rain? That’s the only album I don’t have. I remember not too long ago when all these albums could be found fairly easy for $10-$15. Now they are expensive and sell quickly! I bought Ocean Rain and the others a long time ago, but I gave away Ocean Rain as a gift.

Echoes Myron, jimhb and patient_ot like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The only copies of Ocean Rain I have seen stateside are the various low grade reissues over the years and the inferior US Sire pressings. I saw this new reissue in a store today. Decided to pass on potentially throwing away 23 dollars and get a copy I know will be good, albeit at a much higher price.

jimhb and palisantrancho like this.
  18. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

Does anyone know Rhino’s contact info for a replacement? I bought the school of rock soundtrack online and one of the records arrived very warped : /

patient_ot likes this.
  19. TurtleIsland

I love my Bunnymen US and UK originals. But the one that takes the cake is the Heaven Up Here MoFi. That one's like a dream.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Welcome aboard and enjoy journey thru catalog. See if you can track down recent John Peel Sessions album for some great alt versions by classic lineup.

21. TurtleIsland

That one's great!

patient_ot and JeffMo like this.
  22. Zapruder

It’s on my ultrasonic cleaner rack right now, I’ll post when it’s finished

c-eling and patient_ot like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Drums sound absolutely massive on it.

JeffMo and TurtleIsland like this.
  24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

[email protected]

but brace yourself for months and months of zero or incredibly slow response. others here can attest.

i'm still waiting for a response regarding a totally chewed up disc from my RSD War box set. they took about 3 months to help me out with a replacement for my "start your ear off right" talking heads LP.

25. Zapruder

All etched:

Side a: BK08119-01 A2 (UPC number)
    Side b: BK08119-01 B2 (UPC number)

patient_ot, Echoes Myron and c-eling like this.