Rhino to issue massive Woodstock 1969 box set - **SOLD OUT!!**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SM7609, May 8, 2019.

1. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Well-Known Member

Just a bunch of college kids and they ended up at Woodstock. This picture is apparently from the Dick Cavett show.

[​IMG]

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ehhh I think they did alright.....and poor Quill gets no respect.... ill tell ya

3. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Yes!

chacha likes this.
  4. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Country Joe and the Fish definitely did as well.

BrianKehew likes this.
  5. Warren Hawk

Warren Hawk Forum Resident

I am most definitely in the minority but I've been listening to the Quill set a lot actually. I like it quite a bit. The set is nice quality as well. Pretty decently recorded. I have Quill's 1970 album on Cotillion as well. I like it very much. They are unique and don't sound like anyone else at Woodstock.

I'm so very happy with the 38 CD box. The mixing and restoration is superb. The mastering is also really, really nice. Very dynamic. I listened to The Who's set really, really loud. It is quite amazing. I love hearing the crowd when they launch into "It's A Boy".

fdog, ledsox, the pope ondine and 6 others like this.
  6. DougB217

DougB217 Well-Known Member

Looks like I might buy Tim Hardin’s set after all. As others have mentioned, the Deep Tracks channel on Sirius XM has been playing tracks from the 38-CD set, and they played one of Tim Hardin’s tracks this afternoon. Sounded quite good!

semidetached, JNTEX and longdist01 like this.
  7. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

It is good to be getting some nice reports of the 38 disc set while we wait. I have listened to some segments on the Rhino podcasts which sound very good so it bodes well to hear positive feedback on lesser known acts.

One quick question. Did you get the poster set with your box or are you still awaiting this? We seem to be hearing that this is what is delaying things in Europe.

Warren Hawk likes this.
  8. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I heard tobacco road this morning on sirius while taking the kids to school....man, Winters set tops them all for me.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort Staff

I don't think anyone in the States has received their posters yet-- I haven't, anyway. I'm pretty sure they're being shipped separately.

- Kevin

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Listening to Joe Cocker now. Man, I miss him. "Let's Go Get Stoned" was one of my favorite unreleased Woodstock tracks when it first appeared in 1994.

Check this clip out for a laugh.

11. Warren Hawk

Warren Hawk Forum Resident

No I did not receive the posters. And I have not really looked into it either. I assumed they would be coming at a later date.
    Well, there are posters.....but no "prints" that were in question earlier in the thread. When I hadn't heard anything from Rhino regarding shipping 2 days after Aug 2nd I sent them a message and asked about these prints. That was over a week ago and I've yet to hear from them at all.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  12. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

The plot thickens!

It looks like State-side purchasers are being mailed the box set without the additional poster set (and it appears they are expecting them to be mailed separately at a later date although I don't believe that they have any official notification of this).

In Europe it appears that the poster sets arrived damaged and they are unable to send out the boxes without these poster sets as they are a set so the packages are delayed.

Separately there are mentions of some customs paperwork that seems problematic.

Be good to know the actual status of everything for everyone as it does not appear that anyone has a complete set yet.

Incidentally, for posters I do not believe that we are talking about the Aquarian Parking poster and the one from locals bemoaning the festival in the unboxing video, but a specific additional poster set for those who ordered via Rhino/Warners.

Does this look correct in terms of what people in general are experiencing?

13. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort Staff

Correct-- although as I pointed out earlier in the thread, the boxed set is self-contained. The additional posters being shipped are merely add-on items for ordering from Rhino.com. So they're not actually considered to be part of the set.

- Kevin

Flaming Torch likes this.
  14. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

So there is no reason to delay European sets being mailed to await the arrival of poster sets damaged in transit?

Imagine70 and Dondy like this.
  15. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Probably do not want to pay the cost of extra postage to send the posters separately.

TornAndFrayed likes this.
  16. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Yep, you would think so.
    But one Dana from the Teutonian Warner "customerservice.com" (service, my ass!) told me that they were sorry but could not ship the box and posters seperately ...and thanked me for my understanding. Er, what understanding? :cussing:

They sure are not willing to ship trhem seperately as that would mean extra handling, shipping and packing costs etc. However, that damage is THEIR responsibility and IMHO they should try and serve their high-price customers the best way possible - even if it costs some extra bucks - instead of simply leaving them without *any* idea when to receive their orders. Grrrrr! And no, I will NOT get off the tower! :evil:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. BrianKehew

BrianKehew Forum Resident

I'm only worried about the massive compression that radio stations always use to broadcast. The mixes were done with little compression and the same for mastering. This was done on purpose. I understand how people who didn't (or wouldn't) get the big box set want to have it all from the radio shows, but I hope that sound is not considered what was intended. Again, those who bought the big set will be rewarded over and over for pulling the trigger.

Galley, ledsox, DougB217 and 5 others like this.
  18. mibrighton

mibrighton Forum Resident

I hope you guys with delivery problems , like me , really do email the Ceo. There's nothing like asserting pressure at the very top. God knows how long delivery is going to take otherwise.

19. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I am trying to find out the full details before contacting anyone. It appears that US and UK customers are being treated differently. US are getting their sets without posters (which will presumably follow later) and UK Europe are being told they 'have' to be mailed together. There is no consistency here and with the high cost of these sets I am sure adequate postage would have been factored in. It appears that they are separate items and as such I can see no reason to delay the issue of something that was designed to hit a 50th Anniversary and now clearly will not which is disappointing an awful lot of people. To rub things in those who have not paid a penny will be able to hear the whole thing first on a radio broadcast. Perhaps Dana from customer services would like to consider that. Maybe out of courtesy delay the broadcast until such time as the paying customers have been serviced!

You would think Warners were some tiny independent company. I suspect most people who ordered this set and are being let down will think twice in future about ordering through this channel.

20. TeddyB

TeddyB Forum Resident

It's been pointed out that Jimi was a fan of Sha Na Na. This was the same era he produced Car Mother and the All Night Newsboys. The Stones and Lennon were doing Chuck Berry numbers (yes, of course I realize Chuck was a genius and Sha Na Na a novelty act). But the fifties were coming back.

JNTEX and Imagine70 like this.
  21. JDM

JDM Member

I heard a song by Sha Na Na yesterday on Deep Tracks and the lead singer sounds like Elvis IMO.

JNTEX likes this.
  22. JDM

JDM Member

Back in the early 90s I listened to college radio all the time and many songs had lots of unbleeped swear words. My guess is that certain low wattage collage rock stations fly under the radar and the FCC doesn't bother them; but I could be wrong. Also, since airing this 1969 festival recording in its entirety is something rare and unusual I can see the FCC waiving this one particular instance. If they did it (play swear words) every day, then I could see retaliation.

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  23. JDM

JDM Member

Thanks for this info. I called the customer service number for Rhino at the discogs.com page and got voicemail. Left a voicemail around 2:15pm PST yesterday. Haven't heard back yet. Will update later.

Imagine70 likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. I do wish WMG Euro store would do the same.

Imagine70 likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Do we have an email for the CEO and would he have any influence over WMG Euro store?