Rhino to issue massive Woodstock 1969 box set - **SOLD OUT!!**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SM7609, May 8, 2019.

1. zphage

zphage inappropriately touching the out of touch

Would like to see just a stand alone cd set, no book, no ephemera, no DVD

Then also stand alone DVD

May have to sign up for spotify to stream this.

$800, but it is 38 cds, maybe a subscription service to acquire cds over time.

ispace, footlooseman and Doggiedogma like this.
  2. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Better wait for the 60th anniversary set, when they will include the missing tracks and extra footage and a guitar strap and a guitar pick and a guitar string to hang yourself with 10 years later when you see the extraextra contents of the 70th ann. edition.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

These performances will go into the public domain after this year so you would think they would want to maximize their profit by releasing some of the individual sets.

From the Rolling Stones article about the set.

But according to the producer, one pragmatic argument helped convince the artists or their estates to give the go-ahead for their tracks on Woodstock 50. This January, any unreleased performances or recordings from 1969 will go into the public domain — and will thereby be legal and exploitable in Europe. “Not bootleg, but legit,” he says. “So there’s a pragmatic reason for protecting your copyright on a performance.”

4. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is pure speculation on my part, but what are the odds that the high price tag translates to a significantly higher royalty for the artist, thus allowing this project to move forward in the first place? The way I see it, it’s now or never for the release of these tapes, if they want to make any money off of it at all. If the artists were guaranteed to make decent money off of it, I could see where that would help clear any obstacles/objections away. Everybody has their price :)

Lesbeat, longdist01, Galley and 2 others like this.
  5. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Forum Resident

is this a prelude for the mega Altamont box? ;)

6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Essential inclusions for me:
    - Original version of film, as well as director's cut, and original sound mix
    - The actual version of Sea Of Madness from Woodstock, not the September '69 Fillmore East version that has always been used, including on the 40th anniversary set
    - all of the Dead's set, so we can finally hear whether they really only played half of Saint Stephen
    - the price to come down by about $600

The MEZ, qtrules, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

Funny, I never saw any that remembered balls.

Doctor Flang likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Probably should, as Rhino announced the set will include every artist that played at the festival. Only the chosen tracks are unknown yet.

9. Yeah a lot of money but it seems to be well worth it based on what is included and the packaging.

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

$800 ????
    Not all Woodstock it.

mikmcmee, mmthmj, zebop and 5 others like this.
  11. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

But according to the producer, one pragmatic argument helped convince the artists or their estates to give the go-ahead for their tracks on Woodstock 50. This January, any unreleased performances or recordings from 1969 will go into the public domain — and will thereby be legal and exploitable in Europe. “Not bootleg, but legit,” he says. “So there’s a pragmatic reason for protecting your copyright on a performance.” - Rolling Stone

12. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Yet again. This may be the only Woodstock we'll get this year.

footlooseman likes this.
  13. No matter how much your shrink it down, you still have all that publishing and licensing for all the different artists and performers. People sometimes forget these things are not just the cost of the plastic, cardboard and paper. Mastering, permissions, publishing, photo licensing, copywriting, designing ..... lots of mouths to feed.

Lesbeat, bluejimbop, Tullman and 14 others like this.
  14. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Track listing is on the website. Keef Hartley is there. I don't know if it is the full set on the 10 disc. Nice to see Bert Sommer included. Long overdue.

15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The 10 cd version includes the KHB medley, but not the whole set.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

This all just suggests how many people's perception of Woodstock was colored by the original 'soundtrack' album (and to a lesser extent Woodstock II), and how much that varied from the reality of the festival. I mean more in terms of sequencing the performances than anything else.

It's weird that many weren't even aware the Band, Tim Hardin, CCR, BST and Grateful Dead played...

WMTC, Jack Lord, qtrules and 4 others like this.
  17. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Wouldn't be a reasonable present to the ones celebrating their 50th anniversary this year along with this festival? Just sayin'...;)

18. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

This has circulated on the bootleg circuit since the cassette days. And yes, they only played half of "St. Stephen".

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I hope Santana's 'Evil Ways' will be on the set(s). I have the Legacy Deluxe edition of their first album, which includes the Woodstock concert but unfortunately not this track...
    [Edit:] Okay, cut that. I just saw the tracklists. The track is not in there. Ugh...

All Down The Line and Clucking like this.
  20. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

5 LP Set too.... That's a bit more doable, at $125

sonofjim and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Wait, this doesn't include the mono PA mix? Well, I'm out.

22. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oops. Sorry I didn't find the tracklists yet. Looks like I still didn't calm down.^^

Ignatius likes this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, a commercial release is in fact a "cash grab" just like every other commercial release of music.

And nobody buys Blu-Ray discs for music. People barely buy it for movies these days.

25. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

Just imagine the days long listening session!