Rice Paper Inner Sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bradd, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time Thread Starter

Apologies if this has been discussed before but is there a particular brand of rice paper sleeves that you recommend over others and is there a particular merchant you would recommend buying them from?

Thanks in advance.

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

By rice paper you mean the crinkly type thin plastics?
    I think many like the Nagaoka ones but personally I like mine to be plastic lined paper sleeves.

3. Bradd

To be honest I’m not sure. I think I have seen a few people here refer to rice paper inner sleeve and I was looking at an eBay item that said “sleeve: rice paper for protection.”

4. Leonthepro

To be clear, there are no inner sleeves that actually use rice paper, at least that I know.
    Is it that you know and have decided on what you want or are you looking to just find good inner sleeves? Because you can find tons of options and not all are "rice paper" like types.

5. Bradd

No, I definitely don’t know, I can assure you of that :D

I’m just looking to find good ones. I have a couple from bags unlimited but they must be 10 years old.

6. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

7. Leonthepro

I see, do you clean your records perhaps? Because if one spends the effort to buy new and expensive inner sleeves its preferable that the record is clean as well. Otherwise there is little point.

In any case, the reasoning why I prefer plastic lined paper sleeves is because the paper adds an element of stiffness to the sleeve. This not only allows for easier handling and insertions in the jacket cover or outer sleeves but mainly allows you to out and insert the vinyl without it touching anything but air. Simply separate the sleeve flaps by lifting it from 1 side and insert the record with your other hand. No friction = no static build up or micro scratches either.
    For European buyers these also tend to be cheaper than famous brands like MFSL or Disckeeper sleeves but are about equal to those anyway in the US. You should be able to buy these in most places that focus on vinyl or sleeves.

Ive used about 100 or so MFSL and other sleeves and find them flimsy to handle and they drag across the record with the downsides mentioned.
    I do however use these for inserting inside lyrics sleeves or other types of printed artwork sleeves that come with the record. That way I can still take both it and the record out at the same time. Its basically just lining a paper sleeve with plastic.

Bradd likes this.
  8. Bradd

Thanks for your replies.

9. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

MFSL & QRP (quality records) are great. Been using the MFSL sleeves for 30 years. I've tried several brands of the same style...there is not a lot of difference. Try sleeve city for MFSL sleeves. They typically offer a 15% discount near or around most holidays. And they offer quantity discounts. BTW - I've pretty much settled on MFSL sleeves - consistent great quality.

Waymore, Subagent and Bradd like this.
  10. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Leonthepro likes this.
  11. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

12. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Rice Paper Sleeves are 3-ply HDPE sleeves with a sheet of rice paper between two of the plies.

I buy them from Square Deal Online's eBay store. These are the same ones used by MoFi. This is 250 or 5x packs of 50 sleeves. They sell them in smaller quantities. 100 or 2x packs of 50 are $30. MoFi sells a pack of 50 for $20. These are a lot cheaper than MoFi. Let's be clear about things. MoFi does not make sleeves. They make records. Their use of Rice Paper Sleeves dates back to when MoFi pressed their records in Japan. The sleeves were supplied locally and were included in the packaging of their records. When MoFi switched from JVC to RTI to press their records, they continued to use Rice Paper Sleeves that were imported from the Far East. MoFi didn't even sell their sleeves until Dishwasher stopped selling these sleeves under the VRP (Valuable Record Protector) brand.

(250) 12" RICE PAPER Insert Plastic Record Inner Sleeves Vinyl ARCHIVAL #12IM 190153016741 | eBay

Gumboo, punkmusick and Waymore like this.
  13. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.