Rich Robinson forms new band Magpie Salute with *four* ex-Black Crowes members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Oct 17, 2016.

1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I'll be there too - but I HATE the Coach House! I've even played there as a back up guitarist for a local band, and the venue just kinda sucks.
    It's like a bad dinner-theater, with people awkwardly seated at long tables and eating while a rock show is going on. So stupid.

2. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Looks like there's a bunch of dinner/show gigs on that California swing.
    Discounted tickets too

3. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

Hi Slop 101
    Glad you can make show. Sorry you don't like the CH. I love the venue not a bad seat in the house. Have you been recently? They have a new PA and light rig that are both really good. Since they put these in it has become a favorite venue for me.
    Anyway hope we both get to see a great show. Have fun.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  4. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I'm sure the show will be great......but how good is the chicken parm going to be?

Looks like a big opportunity for Team Chris to score a few points here. :hide:

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Sounds like City Winerys. Dreadful. Seats are one thing (and still not really optimal for a Crowes-style rock show) but there's absolutely no reason for there to be tables anywhere near a rock stage.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  6. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

CR doesn't strike me as a great Italian chef?

7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Last time I went was about a year ago to see a friend's band. Once people were done eating it was fine, still odd with the tables though.
    Though this show should be interesting/cool, as it'll be Marc's hometown gig and he'll have tons of his local friends there.

8. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

Cool
    I think the PA and lights will be an upgrade since last time you were there. I was there about a month ago and was talking with house sound guy. He showed me that he now had the ability to walk around to different spots in the room and do a mix for each area with his iPad. So I'm hoping we get a great sounding show. I go there quite often and definitely noticed improved sound.
    Love the new Magpie record so I'm really looking forward to the concert.

9. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

It’ll be put to the test with how loud Rich, and by extension, the Magpie Salute, will play.

iggyd likes this.
  10. twister

twister Forum Resident

Great show last night in Porthcawl not a crowd who were there to specifically see the band but quite a few fans of the band there. The gig isn’t listed on set list fm so here is the set list from one I was handed after the show. My memory is terrible when it comes to remembering exactly what songs were played even straight after a gig so if anyone else was there who can correct any mistakes please do.

High Water
    Mary The Gypsy
    Omission
    For The Wind
    War Drums
    Oh Sweet Nuthin (Not Played)
    The Vulture
    Yesterday I Saw You (Not Played)
    Open Up
    What Is Home
    Take It All
    Can You See
    Twice As Hard
    Soul Singing
    My Morning Song
    Send Me An Omen

11. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Just catching up on this thread. I saw the band 4 times last year but only once thus far this year-Boulder on August 30. I had a bit of a wait-and-see approach considering "High Water I" was indeed a bit more laid back than expected, and it was clear from setlists they weren't doing nearly as much Crowes material. Gotta admire that they're making their own way, and knew I'd enjoy the show...just wasn't certain I would enjoy it as much as the first tour.
    But Boulder was fantastic! No disappointment and no looking back now. Interplay between Rich and Marc is so cool to see again live. I'm planning on 3 shows early next year. I hate to see Charity and the other ladies gone, but the guys in the band do a most formidable job on bgv's....and as has been said, the expense of a huge band on the road has to be staggering.
    This is a killer live rock band. Yes, I'm old school, but to me there just aren't many great live rock bands still around. I go to a lot of really rocking shows, but they'd most all fit into the "roots rock 'n' roll" category. Looking forward to Des Moines, St. Louis and Nashville in '19.

Hopefully we'll see more reports in this thread from our European friends!

ceddy10165, iggyd, jazz_case and 2 others like this.
  12. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Saw two weeks ago Utrecht, the Netherlands. They were in good spirits, but the audience seemd more involved with talking to each other and their cell phones. Sound was way too loud, especially for the small size of the venue. Thank God I brought my ear plugs. To my suprise I enjoyed the songs from the last album the most. The jammy bits were a little uninspired. The short acoustic set was a highlight for me as well. All in all a good gig, but not a great one.

Matthew Tate and highway chile like this.
  13. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

bt.etree.org | Community Tracker - Details for torrent "The Magpie Salute 2018-11-22 Utrecht NL MATRIX 24 bit (Dutchbird master)"

The Magpie Salute
    Tivoli Vredenburg - Pandora
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    November 22, 2018

** 24 BIT **

Source 1: 2 x DPA 4061 (omnis) > MPS6020 > Sony PCM-M10 @ 24 bit/48 kHz
    Source 2: SP-CMC-8 (cardioids) > SP-SPSB-11 > Roland R-07 @ 24 bit/48 kHz
    Mastering: .WAV's > Audacity v2.3.0 (matrix mixdown) > Sound Forge Pro 11.0 (Build 299) [iZotope Mastering Suite (declick); minor edits, normalize, & fades] > CDWav (tracking) > Trader's Little Helper (level 5) > FLAC > TagScanner 6.0.30 (tagging)
    Location: On the floor, approximately 5-6 meters from the right speakers
    Recorded by: A Dutchbird production
    Mastered by: Dennis Orr

Setlist: (1:47:03)
    01 Intro
    02 High Water
    03 Omission
    04 Mary The Gypsy
    05 For The Wind
    06 Hey Hey What Can I Do
    07 Look Out Cleveland (1)
    08 The Vulture (2)
    09 What Is Home? (1)
    10 Christine's Tune (1)(3)
    11 Sister Moon (3)
    12 Nonfiction (4)
    13 Take It All
    14 Can You See? (1)
    15 Title Song
    16 Thorn's Progress Jam >
    17 Thorn In My Pride
    18 Chat & Band Intros
    - Encore -
    19 Sting Me
    20 Send Me An Omen

(1) Rich - lead vocals
    (2) Marc - lead vocals
    (3) Acoustic - Rich, John, & Marc only
    (4) Rich, John, & Marc acoustic > full band electric

Rich Robinson - guitars & vocals
    Marc Ford - guitars & vocals
    John Hogg - lead vocals, guitar, percussion, & harp
    Sven Pipien - bass & backing vocals
    Matt Slocum - keyboards
    Joe Magistro - drums

Hi-Res recording sounds fantastic + fabulous setlist.

14. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Would love to hear that, but I’ve never understood torrents.

Eleven days until the London gig.

Almost Simon and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. twister

twister Forum Resident

Unfortunately this seems to be more and more the case at a Blackberry Smoke gig a couple of weeks ago the noise of people shouting at each other over the music and holding phones up in front of other peoples view really took the edge off the show. It’s got so bad I’m thinking of giving up on live shows altogether.

jazz_case, Matthew Tate and Beaker73 like this.
  16. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Thanks for that link, I saw the mics standing on poles, right in front of the mixing desk. Where the dB meter read an average of 110, btw :yikes: :help:

jazz_case likes this.
  17. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. Why pay 31 euros to drink beer and talk to each other while you can walk into a bar for free and do the same? I just don’t get it. Why check twitter every two seconds when there are musicians playing for you? Why film 30 seconds of a song when you know it will sound and look crap on your phone? Why for pete’s sake, why!!!!!
    sorry, rant over. :chill: is kicking in now ;)

18. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Completely agree. At one of my previous Rich shows, I spent 45 mins listening to 2 guys talking crap until Standing On The Surface Of The Sun then i lost it. Told them where to go, got a bit of a mouthful in return but at least they got the hint.

I'm not sure of the cost, but bands should follow Jack Whites lead and do phone free shows. I saw him a month or so ago and it was fantastic. Not a single phone in the crowd led to an old school communal music experience.

I see Magpie on Thursday and can't wait. First time seeing Marc Ford since 2006 ....

19. Former Lee Warmer

Download Flud, the BitTorrent Client.

go to archive/etree, download torrent file of live show.

drag/drop torrent file in Flud window.

wait for show to finish downloading.

put 24 bit FLAC files in Jet Audio to either listen or burn to CD.

(It's that easy.)

Graham likes this.
  20. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

twister likes this.
  21. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'll be there too. Very much looking forward to it.

Graham likes this.
  22. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks. Don't I have to open up my computer to others via seeding or something?

23. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

"sounds fantastic"?
    Thanks for the link, but honestly, I thought it sounded dreadful.
    Sure, great setlist, and great playing by the band, but the recording was as if it's coming out of a tin can.

25. Former Lee Warmer

ROFL

You listen to many audience recordings?