Rich Robinson forms new band Magpie Salute with *four* ex-Black Crowes members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Oct 17, 2016.

1. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Graham is you register with the magpie salute website they have allowed a couple of downloads the last year. The latest was an acoustic show that was good quality, the full band one previously not so good. Had a quick look in my mail box and found the email. (I've probably posted this before but here it is again.

"The Magpie Salute Quartet at The Family Wash ~ January 21, 2018! Here it is... That special something Rich talked about... Exclusively for you and those in attendance during our shows in 2017... The complete show recording and performance at The Family Wash ~ Nashville, TN!

It all started with a surprise show on Sunday January 21, 2018. Originally billed as a trio performance, Rich Robinson, Marc Ford, and John Hogg, which happily morphed into a quartet, adding Sven Pipien! (Side note: Various members of the band were in Nashville for a writing session, leading to songs eventually recorded on HIGH WATER I and HIGH WATER II)

The Family Wash recording captures a beautiful moment… sincere conversation among friends in front of an intimate audience!

Thank you for all the love and positivity… we truly appreciate your support! We hope to see you again soon!
    Enjoy the show!

Tracklist:
    1. Introduction
    2. Sunday Night Buttermilk Waltz
    3. Omission
    4. Wiser Time
    5. The Vulture
    6. Everything’s Alright
    7. Albuquerque
    8. April Fool
    9. Cold Boy Smile
    10. Deep Water
    11. Richmond
    12. Time To Leave
    13. Better When You’re Not Alone
    14. Every Picture Tells A Story
    15. Descending
    16. Thorn In My Pride
    17. My Morning Song

Instructions for download:

- Visit The Magpie Salute website

- Create an account (sign up), and/or login, for Fan Club access

- Once login is complete/verified, the show is available for download

Just checked and the link still seems to work. Fingers crossed if you decide to give it a go.

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks - I downloaded that a while back. Good show.

3. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

After yelling for "Wiser Time" during the Stockholm show a week ago, they actually came out and played it after all the encores. My mate got a setlist form a roadie, and "Wiser Time" wasn't listed as an encore, so maybe I had something to do with it ;)
    Fantastic gig!

Here's a video clip:

4. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

That's all done securely via the bit torrent client, you don't have to do anything more than what I outlined in the steps above.

Graham likes this.
  5. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Very enjoyable show in Glasgow last night, and a good sized crowd (there has always been great support for the band here over the years)

Some points of note

The new material was well received, Omission and Sister Moon in particular.

The acoustic set was great, and fair play to Rich for stopping midway through Oh Josephine and calling out the talkers. A real shame, but it had to be done. And it worked.

My personal highlight was War Drums - both Rich and Marc were sensational on this, worth the gig on it's own.

Smoke Signals by Marc was another good one.

As for 'classic' Crowes tracks, they picked some less obvious - Gone was excellent, Sometimes Salvation is all about the solo and By Your Side a surprising choice for the final track.

Unfortunately the venue is a popular student nightclub so they were off by 10pm, which Rich commented on. He mentioned leaving to make way for a disco, which prompted one guy to shout I Ain't Hiding which Rich acknowledged as 'disco, but not good disco'.

All in all, a great show. There were of course tracks I'd have loved to have seen - Black Cloud, The Vulture, Thorns Progress, Big Time, and many more, but thats the thing. You never know what you're going to get.

Not sure what the attendances have been like on the other UK shows but it was a great turnout in Glasgow and I hope they come back soon.

As an aside, it also made me feel quite old thinking about the last time I saw Marc play in my hometown, way back in January 1997 ...

6. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I attended last nights show in Newcastle at The Riverside. Small venue, I was about 20 feet away from the stage, the room was maybe 35-40 foot long. Maybe 150-175 in the audience.
    Before the show I wasn't that familiar with their material but had watched some YouTube footage & I used to like the Black Crowes so I kind of knew what to expect. The Magpie Salute are a great old school rock band. Great musicians, very fine guitar work by Rich & Marc. I was reminded of The Allmans, Faces & Free at certain points of the show.
    The singer has a great voice, at least in the YouTube clips but last night the mix was terrible so you could hardly hear it. The keyboards were largely inaudible too. The band tried an acoustic set which I really enjoyed, great 3-part harmonies, but a good number of punters at the back insisted on talking really loudly through it which spoilt it for many.
    One of the pluses of the evening was when Pink Floyd's Fearless got an airing which was a brilliant surprise.
    It must be expensive to keep a band like this on the road doing intimate venues, but why cut corners with the soundman? It really took the edge off what could have been a classic gig.

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

This band won't stay for long if they can't even get 500 for a show.
    Or was the venue to small for that?

8. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

budwhite likes this.
  9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Don't know what happened in my previous post, I meant to add the last message :oops:.

10. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

On the other hand have just received High Water on CD. Really enjoying it! Lovely vocals & great guitar work

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Enjoyed the show in Camden last night. I did start to lose a little enthusiasm after the acoustic set but that's probably my own fault/tiredness from a day out in London beforehand. High points for me were the covers, Dreams, When I Paint My Masterpiece (which is currently an earworm inside my head.) Had to leave during No Speak, No Slave but a decent show to end the tour. Looking forward to a new album.

12. Graham

I enjoyed it too. The band seemed far more of a band this time than the last I saw them, twice in April 2017 (not counting the acoustic trio/quartet show in August).

John Hogg's confidence has really picked up, which was nice to see. I loved getting to see Marc Ford play on Exit again and Oh Josephine was a highlight, particularly the way the band joined in for the coda, as was opening all guns blazing with an extended High Water. Loved Ford's song too, which I wasn't familiar with.

13. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

One of the major plus points of this particular band is the new exposure to Marc's catalogue - there's some great stuff in there.

The Vulture, Old Lady Sunrise, Devil's In The Details, Deep Water, Shalimar Dreams, Smoke Signals are all great songs.

But then, getting to see Marc Ford play on anything is an all too rare treat. Both he and Rich make this level of musicianship look effortless.

highway chile, Slim Zooms and Graham like this.
  14. Graham

Indeed. I know all the other Ford songs they’ve been playing (I think) but haven’t heard the Neptune Blues Club album so didn’t know the one they played last night.

15. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I'm not familiar with Marc's solo material. Could you guys point me in the right direction as to where to start?

16. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Masterpiece is one of my all-time favourite Dylan songs, how I envy you hearing the band play it!

Almost Simon likes this.
  17. I'd start with Holy Ghost which is more laid back, singer songwriter ... then The Vulture, It's About Time, Weary And Wired and Fuzz Machine - lastly the Neptune Blues Club records ...

Matthew Tate and Slim Zooms like this.
  18. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Are these all albums or tracks?

19. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Many thanks for your help. I have googled about them so please disregard last post. :righton:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Almost Simon

Rich, Marc and John all on acoustics, Rich singing lead with the other 2 adding harmonies at the end on the title line.

21. Almost Simon

I really like Holy Ghost, very good album.

Mr Mojo and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Graham

Ford’s solo debut It’s About Time is surprisingly strong. Very much in a blue collar, laid back, Neil Young circa Comes A Time style.

He clearly loves Neil - several of his songs are close to the bone rewrites of Young classics.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

24. Almost Simon

They did Had to cry today by Blind Faith? Super gutted they didnt perform that in London. CSN's You don't have to cry also? I love those songs. Very tasteful on the cover versions these gents.

jammincrowe and Slim Zooms like this.
  25. Almost Simon

Back in the days of The Crowes I always made a playlist of songs they covered, by that i mean the original versions. Now inspired to do the same for TMS. Is there a list anywhere of songs they've covered?