Rich Robinson forms new band Magpie Salute with *four* ex-Black Crowes members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Oct 17, 2016.

1. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Those are album titles. Unfortunately, some of Marc's solo stuff was self-released so they're OOP and can be a bit pricey, but well worth the expenditure. Each and every one of his albums is quite good IMHO.
    Holy Ghost is very laid back in comparison to everything else he's done as has been stated.

These are my personal favorites. I tend to lean toward the heavier stuff.
    Marc Ford & The Neptune Blues Club - Marc Ford & The Neptune Blues Club
    Marc Ford - Weary And Wired
    Marc Ford - It's About Time
    Marc Ford & The Neptune Blues Club - The Vulture

Acoustic Warrior and jazz_case like this.
  2. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Unless I'm missing something out there, the best repository of TMS setlists is at the Setlist FM website. The band can certainly pick out cool tunes to cover, that's for certain.

Artists covered by The Magpie Salute

Songs played total

Almost Simon and highway chile like this.
  3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Wonderful, thank you. They did Ronnie Lane's/Faces Richmond too? Man, seriously good. There's a mighty find playlist amongst these songs.

As a Clapton fan i've never understood the fascination with Don't know why. In 30+ years it's yet to make one of my Clapton playlists, of which there's been many.

4. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

A few years back I started a Rich Robinson Covers Playlist on Spotify. It now includes all the Magpie Covers and also the covers Rich performed over the years with the Crowes and during his solo years. You can listen here

Rich Robinson Covers Project, a playlist by iain1206 on Spotify

Graham, Almost Simon and jazz_case like this.
  5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Wonderful. On top of the previous list seeing they've covered Bad n Ruin (man, i LOVE that song,) and even better, John Martyn, that's the ultimate in good taste in my book. Thank you very much! :cool:

JPJs Bass Guitar likes this.
  6. twister

twister Forum Resident

When it comes to Marc Fords solo work I really like Fuzz Machine and played it to death on release, It’s About Time probably comes second for me, Holy Ghost is a mellower album luckily got to see Marc in Bristol during this period. It’s definitely worth taking a listen to all his solo work if you’re a Magpie or Crowes fan.

highway chile and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Some pics from Camden on Tuesday.

Really enjoyed it, glad I brought my earplugs as it was pretty loud!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I took the plunge & ordered Holy Ghost.
    Looking forward to it :cool:

9. twister

twister Forum Resident

I hope you enjoy it. It is a mellow album, apart from Elijah ( Marcs son) the other musicians are from Bristol U.K. Marc had produced an album for them previously but the name of the band escapes me.

10. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Phantom Limb?

11. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Alice In Chains?

12. twister

twister Forum Resident

Yes that's the band Phantom Limb they were the musicians on the album and also the band used when touring in the U.K at the time of Holy Ghost's release.

13. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, I caught that tour in London and Ford signed my LP.

14. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

Huge Ford fan here. I'll put his solo catalog against either Robinson's.

Holy Ghost, though it lacks in guitar heroics, might be my favorite. Just really solid, heartfelt songwriting. It continues to move me.
    The Vulture was really good, too. Magpie should take Marc's cue and have John Vanderslice produce them.

15. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Well, Holy Ghost arrived today. I think it will become a favourite I like it a lot on first hearing. Nice arrangements, immaculate playing and good songs. Thanks fellas, good call:tiphat:

16. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

DAAAAAAYYYYYUUUUM!!!! I miss these days...

17. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Oh man - you can say that again my brother!!!

18. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

Good stuff!

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  19. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

GREAT pics

Slim Zooms and highway chile like this.
  20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I saw Magpie last night and they were great! They pulled out some Crowes tunes like Sting Me, Exit, and My Morning Song which all kicked ass - not to make it too much of a competition but based on what I heard from Chris' As The Crowe Flies thing, Magpie captures the high octane rock vibe way way more that harkens back to the energy of early era Crowes

Marc Ford was the highlight in my opinion, that dude was pulling out some incredibly tasty leads the entire night

21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Was at the show Thursday night, amazing performance. Started off not loud enough, but got a little too loud by the end.
    As usual, Rich was way louder than Marc, but yeah, their guitar interplay was phenomenal.
    Good amount of stuff from the new album that sounded great. We got Black Coffee, which was sweet! Rich sang an acoustic Girl from North Country - his singing is just getting better and better. We got 4 Crowes songs; the highlight was an acoustic Descending, which had the guitar interplay of the night IMO, the other BC songs were odd choices, IMO,; Welcome to the Goodtimes, Good Morning Captain, By Your Side.
    Great show overall, and not a bad seat in the house (even with the sad "dinner theater" vibe it had)

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, jazz_case, twister and 2 others like this.
  22. cable hogue

Precisely why I wish Rich and Marc sang lead more.

PS the Magpie Fort Wayne 1/24 show was just cancelled this afternoon. Hopefully it's the only one on this Midwest run.

Hep Alien and PhoffiFozz like this.
  23. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Interesting development. Any further info? Nothing on TMS' Twitter feed or website at this point.

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Oh, and Rich is still SUPER SALTY from his brother's initial crack about them being a Crowes cover band, as before the encore he said something along the line of; "As opposed to the other Black Crowes knock-off band, most of the guys on this stage actually played on those albums."
    Ouch!

Hep Alien, LarryP, PhoffiFozz and 3 others like this.
  25. cable hogue

RR has been going off on the chatty Cathys in the crowd. Almost nightly STFU rants. Dude is not having it anymore.