Rich Robinson forms new band Magpie Salute with *four* ex-Black Crowes members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Oct 17, 2016.

1. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Yeah, a Chicago show would be great.

full moon and TSWisla like this.
  2. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Just saw Rich at the City Winery last summer and got to hang out with the band a little after the show. Great time.

jammincrowe likes this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

painted8, Mr Mojo and TSWisla like this.
  4. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

Man, there's a lot of gems on these setlists! Wish I could have been there...

Mr Mojo and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

The setlists are pure magic! I just looked at a few videos on YouTube and, damn...that is brilliant!
    I hope they make it to Sweden sometime...

Matthew Tate, JLPMacca and budwhite like this.
  6. Graham

Night 4 included this stellar cover of Terry Reid's Dean:

jammincrowe, Mr Mojo and nbadge like this.
  7. Graham

JLPMacca, Mr Mojo and windfall like this.
  8. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

Great news. Now hoping for a full european tour! :)

0476pearljam likes this.
  9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

London before Los Angeles? Boo!

There's all these British bands I love that never play the States, but here's a band I'd love, Marc Ford lives just 30 minutes away from me, and even they're not playing locally. Whatta gyp!

ZEP77 likes this.
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Is it wrong that I'm fine with hearing Crowes tunes sung by someone other than Chris, but hearing them played by a different drummer than Gorman just feels kinda weird? Anyone know if he was asked to join this endeavor?

11. Drewstir

Drewstir Active Member

I'm assuming that Steve Gorman is quite content doing his syndicated radio for Fox Sports out of Nashville. I listen to him all the time- it's great radio!

southamorican likes this.
  12. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

13. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

14. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

I appreciate that it's the fundamental reason this band exists, not to mention the ready-made fan base, but this band needs to move beyond the Crowes heavy sets pretty quickly.

I've only seen John Hogg live once, a brief guest appearance with Rich in London a few years back (on the encore of Presence Of The Lord and Got To Get Better In A Little While), but he strikes me as being a decent singer. Nothing more. He certainly doesn't have the stage presence or vocal abilities of CR. And that is abundantly clear from the Youtube videos from the recent shows.

So playing tracks like Seeing Things and Title Song that are so indelibly linked to Chris is detrimental to John Hogg who should be trying (or given the chance) to establish his own identity.

I only hope that with the talent involved and the apparent momentum behind the band, that new material starts to appear. By all means keep some warhorses from the Crowes back catalogue if need be, but make them the exception rather than 50% of the setlist.

Ultimately this is what many Crowes fans (including me) have wanted for years - a band built around Rich and Marc. It has the potential so I really hope this turns into something special in it's own right.

15. Love this band!! All I have to say is... 'Good Morning Captain'!

16. Drewstir

Drewstir Active Member

Agree that is has to grow- but I've seen John a couple of times in the band Moke and he certainly has the goods - just like any band that puts some miles in together , it will grow into its own thing. To your point - new material will be everything in its development/success. CR is a hard, hard man to follow - doing the thing that CR does. I say, play on!

17. Graham

I agree with this 100%, even down to having been at the same Borderline gig that John Hogg guested at and that being my only prior exposure to him.

JPJs Bass Guitar likes this.
  18. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Graham, you got me thinking - wasn't it the O2 Islington? I was at the Borderline gig a few months before too, and it was a far better venue/show but there weren't any guests at that one.

19. Woke up this morning to find that a dear friend of mine had giving me the soundboard for the Gramercy Theater show.

Man I dig the potential moving forward for this band.

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I follow him on twitter. But he still plays in musical projects and around town a lot, so it's not like he's given up drumming. Just wondering if he was asked, and declined, or if they always intended to use a different guy. I think he was the Crowes' secret weapon...really great feel and understated style.

JLPMacca likes this.
  21. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Only just seen this. Goddam, I'd love to go see that show. Nice follow on from seeing CRB last year, alas that's my birthday and I'm away. Small venue, only get 500-600 people in there. Shame for me on the date but very much interested in this band.

22. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Here's a whole show in audio:

The Magpie Salute Live at Gramercy Theatre, New York, NY - 1/22/2017 Full Show AUD

23. Graham

Two more dates were added, not sure if they've sold out as well.

24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

a soundboard or an audience recording?

jammincrowe likes this.
  25. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I think a Magpie tour will obviously happen in the USA.