Rich Robinson forms new band Magpie Salute with *four* ex-Black Crowes members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Soundboard

Rhett likes this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Cheers Graham, alas i'm away that whole week so no can do. Will have to miss out.

3. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Yes he was asked. He declined.

He had no interest in being in a crowes cover band, essentially. If they move forward with new music there's a definite possibility, but no...Not to do cover songs so to speak.

Black Widow and southamorican like this.
  4. He said that? Is he just gonna waltz in and displace Joe because they begin to write music?

5. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Probably not. He was just adamant about not being in a cover band.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Thanks, was just curious. Glad he's doing well enough here in Nashville with other work to have that option. He seems like a genuinely good guy.

7. Did he discuss it on his show or in an interview?

8. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Currently listening to Rich's Flux release which I've owned for a while now and am currently on "Time to leave". I have to admit from the beginning track "Shipwreck" through to "Music that Will Lift Me" on into "Eclipse the Night" and "Ides of Nowhere", this latest studio album is by far his consistently best offering. I've been psyched about the Magpie Salute since I heard about it late last summer. While it's terrible that former Crowes Keysman Ed Harsh passed away late in the fall of last year, this latest project and the shows they've done at the Gramercy Theatre a few weeks back and news of studio material being shaped for official release is quite exciting.

I once had a vision that someday Rich and Marc Ford would truly reunite within a faction away from brother Chris and do something to bring their chemistry together again after the failure of the reunion some 10 plus years ago. Now that this has come to fruition, I can only hope that great things will come out of this union. Magpie Salute!

Matthew Tate and 0476pearljam like this.
  9. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I'm not really feeling the current lead vocalist. Hopefully he grows on me.

0476pearljam likes this.
  10. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

I saw that Marc Ford will do a show in Belgium in May with the neptune blues band...Hope they will also come with Rich and the magpie salute some day...they play a one off date in London in April...We hope for more shows to come in Europe...

11. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I'm not so sure about John Hogg either. He's "Ok" on some of the Crowes-related songs they've done, but the trouble with doing that material is obviously being conditioned to hear Chris Robinson singing on those tunes. But I don't think he's got a strong enough presence/vibe about him.

0476pearljam and full moon like this.
  12. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

That's my issue. Just seems very vanilla. Bland. Like a guy singing at the local bar.

0476pearljam likes this.
  13. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Marc and Rich do sing, but as far as being the lead singers, well, it all depends on the new material. Obviously the shows done so far have mixed both of their solo material with Crowes nuggets, but if and when they flesh out collaborative material, it'll be interesting to hear how that will take shape.

Matthew Tate and full moon like this.
  14. Drewstir

Drewstir Active Member

I think that once they get away from the Crowes songs and into new material that John Hogg will shine. He's brilliant with his band Moke and I loved what they were starting with Hookah Brown.
    I don't envy anyone that would have to sing all those Crowes songs in a band and replicate CR-(unless his name was Steve Marriott).

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  15. read the thread title as Robbie Robertson and got really excited there for a second.

Drewstir likes this.
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Got a ticket for the show in August in Maine. It's been awhile since I've been this excited for a show. Should be a fantzstic night of great music.

17. Drewstir

Drewstir Active Member

Got mine for Cincinnati - excited to see them w John Hogg singing

18. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Info from flicking through the new Uncut issue:
    • Rich's second Woodstock Sessions album is due this summer
    • Marc Ford didn't hear anything from Rich (and vice versa) from August 2006 when he quit the Crowes and the Woodstock Sessions a decade later in summer 2016
    • Rich is planning a double album from Magpie Salute for 2018.

Matthew Tate, budwhite and Arkay_East like this.
  19. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I'm excited by this!

Just hope we're all still alive by then...

20. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Surprised by lack of response to my above post, given the length of this thread. So here's the main point in bold:

Rich is planning a double album from Magpie Salute for 2018.

Who'sTommy, JLPMacca and cublowell like this.
  21. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

I never noticed your update .... but I'm excited for this.

It's still a long way off, but hopefully this will mean new material and the gradual removal of reliance on Crowes tracks from the setlists.

Rich and Marc have both recently hit a purple patch in their respective solo careers, so hopefully they can continue this together and put out an album worthy of the talent in the band.

I'm not huge on John Hogg but that can hopefully change. Lets just see if the band stays intact long enough.

In the meantime, bring on the Woodstock Sessions release this year. Does anyone know of the setlists played during the recordings?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. What is purple patch?

23. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

It's an informal phrase used to describe a run of success or good luck.

And until now I had no idea it was a phrase only used in the UK!! :D

violetvinyl likes this.
  24. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I'm worried that Ford won't hang around that long.

25. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

That is my concern too. Hopefully he will.
    The double album sounds cool, it's just a long way off.