Richard & Linda Thompson: Hard Luck Stories (1972-1982) [8CD Box Set; 11th September 2020]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

There's some demand, yes, but who's to say there is enough to warrant the costs of a new print run ? You'd need to work for the company to know for certain.
    Does anyone know how many were made to begin with ?

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I'm sure anyone who's paid over £100 for the 1999 super deluxe has asked the same question.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 1000 or less since they sold out in a week and were not officially available outside Europe. I expect Amazon had most copies. They went faster than the one step MFSL Abraxas (1500). CDs are supposed to be dead format?

sennj likes this.
  4. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Paging @AndyB (if he's not sick of us by now).

5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Sadly, we live in times where labels and stores don't want to carry stock. They're happy to leave money on the table. It's all part of the supply/demand calculation these days. Back in ye olde days, stores didn't mind carrying stock. In 2020, no. The current method supports their "collectable" mentality.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It's pretty crazy. There appears to be only handful available to buy in the world right now, at least online.

There are two on Discogs and I can't remember the last time I saw it listed on eBay.

I put an order in and it still has not shipped. It was a German company and I had my friend translate an email they sent me which basically said it is on order from the label. They had 4 listed on eBay at the time, which was weeks ago. They must have thought that it was going to come back in stock or they were morons who decided to list it for sale anyway.

Back when the quality issues started coming to light, my friend who works for a distributor contacted his contact in the UK to see if he could get me a copy and was told it was sold out at the label but there would be a repress. But then Universal came out with their press release about he quality issues and mentioned there would be no reissue. So who knows. His contact would not have said there would be a repress unless it said, somewhere, that there would be a repress. Even if that was an error, it would've have to have been told to him.

7. They could print a CDs only smaller version with a smaller CD sized book next time

8. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

They didn't sell out that quickly throughout Europe (Amazon.fr still had copies recently) and, if my local record store is any indication (they still had a few last I checked), copies were plentiful in brick and mortar stores. All and all, I'd bet on a much higher number than a thousand.

9. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

They'd need to redo the book for it to be legible in CD size.
    My bet is they'll eventually release all six albums individually and won't repress the box as is.

10. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I’d be surprised if they don’t do a second run. This first run was a giant cluster****. Defective discs and a super limited amount of units. With the obvious demand and the holiday season coming up it makes perfect sense for them to produce more.

11. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

This is a bit of a niche product. Most big fans of R&LT have already bought this box and are eagerly waiting the replacement discs. Ultimately, they will be very happy with the purchase.

Is there real, visible evidence of a new, sizeable demand for the set ? Enough for a second run of this product to be viable ? IMHO, I don't think it will be the case.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  12. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

I find it hard to believe demand for Bobbie Gentry was much greater than this, but maybe they’re still sitting on a bunch of those repressed boxes and don’t want a repeat.

13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I can put together a theory on this. No evidence, just a wild theory......

Firstly, they WILL repress it, and release it again as it was with the first pressing.

The reason they're giving the "there won't be a repress" message right now is due to the disc problems. If they admitted they were doing a repress right now, then people with faulty sets would likely send everything back - the case, the book, and await a new set. By holding off on the repress and saying it won't happen, people are far less likely to return the complete package, and instead hold on to it while replacements arrive. This way they don't have to deal with lots of "old" boxes and books hanging about in their warehouse as returns.

If my theory is correct, they'll announce the repress around the time they announce the replacement discs are being sent out.

Perhaps I'm way off on this one, but I do hope those that want the set are able to get it without being gouged on the secondary market.

ted321, eddiel, Martin Byrne and 3 others like this.
  14. Classicrock

Would you risk buying any remaining boxes given the issues that have emerged? It's likely they have withdrawn most of the remaining stock by now. Since they made such a mess of this release a second run should be inevitable. Richard Thompson isn't so niche that the likely small pressing run issued so far would satisfy demand. I'm sure many were waiting for the price to go down or save up to purchase this. It really doesn't cost so much to run off a few thousand CDs and even do the printing for these. LPs require a lot more expense to produce. The main restriction at present is the backlog at pressing and packaging facilities. Producing individual CDs in their own packaging (preferably jewel cases) would involve a lot more work and expense. Most of the albums have not been available since the Hannibal reissues in the 90s. For me the only point in buying the CDs is the additional material exclusive to this box.

ted321 likes this.
  15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Whatever else is going on, I wouldn't bet on a repress until the hold-up with Shoot Out the Lights is resolved for the US.
    That's the only possible demand left unfulfilled. And even then, that's not likely very significant.

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Tbf, it really shouldn't be difficult to press functioning CD's and put them into a cardboard holding - yet............

For what it's worth, I'd assume any sets currently out there are faulty. You were lucky if you got a good one, and even then I'd have no confidence they'd still be working in the years to come. People have been baking them in the oven! No thanks. I paid good money, I want a proper package. if you buy it today, order the replacements immediately, imo.

17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If that is the case, then it might never happen. Some of these types of issues can be tricky to resolve and if there's no motivation from one side or the other, it may never get solved.

18. Classicrock

So a couple weeks on sale in Europe has satisfied demand? That is very unlikely with people holding off on price and if they know about the issues. Plus lack of visibility and availability in general. Sometimes I only notice releases weeks or months after they come out. Just because there is a thread on Hoffman doesn't mean everyone knew of this release immediately. The US market isn't the world and R&L Thompson were even lower sellers in US than home market. So demand may not be so significant there compared to the UK alone. This forum is in reality not representative of the wider market. I get the feeling some contributors here don't want another press so they can revel in the ownership of their exclusive botched box.

ted321 likes this.
  19. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I don't think that's fair. I haven't seen a single post on here that's implied that anyone doesn't want another pressing. Thinking there won't be another run and hoping there won't aren't the same.

20. Classicrock

Maybe not but too much negativity. I would say that the label should be obliged to the artists at least to reissue a properly pressed box and with printing errors corrected. In spite of the work in compiling the material there has been a complete lack of oversight in the production process. It probably would be easier to produce new boxes for a second larger run and send some of them out to original buyers on a proof of purchase or exchange basis. I don't see why the business model for this type of product should be a a very limited edition. They could be released in batches over weeks or months in response to sales, as seems to be happening with some' limited' vinyl pressings (which appear to be much less limited than these CDs). They are keeping people hanging and discouraging returns by offering replacement discs only plus downloads. People should just return all the bad boxes for refund which would force them to do a proper repress. They would need to redo the set then to avoid substantial losses on this title.

21. mrskin

mrskin Forum Resident

Currently (Oct. 27th) available new and used on Amazon Japan. Shipping may make it prohibitive for some. But if you must have it ....

https://www.amazon.co.jp/TBC/dp/B083LRFMPL/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=カタカナ&dchild=1&keywords=richard+&+linda+thompson&qid=1603790167&sr=8-1

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  22. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I think more realistic than just negative. This box costs about 60 quid. That's a lot of dosh. The big fans will mostly have already bought this, the casual fans will give it a miss.

I do hope that there is a second run and everyone can be happy. But I'm not sure it will happen.

If I wanted it now, I wouldn't wait for a second run, I would try to hunt down a box currently available and immediately apply for replacement discs.

23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Two things : 1. the box is sold out with online stores and unavailable with the label but it is still available in brick and mortar stores. As I mentioned, my local still has copies. Many others will.
    2. The box as is (multiple discs with a glossy book) isn't the most effective way of getting the music out there. Not everyone wants all these records, not everyone needs the book, not everyone wants the pay that kind of price.
    At this point, it makes no sense to reprint the box. They'd be doing so at the expanse of a wider rerelease of these albums as individual titles. That's what needs to happen now, not a reprint for a few unfortunate american would-be customers.

tms766 likes this.
  24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

25. I reached the conclusion about a decade ago that I had to make up my mind about box sets the same way I would and with the same urgency as buying concert tickets.
    It is very rare for anything with more than basic packaging to get a second production run and as someone said in an earlier post the production runs seem to be getting smaller all the time.
    I’m lucky in that I can always make up my mind about archival releases on the basis of the contents because waiting for reviews about sound quality often just means you will miss out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.