Richard & Linda Thompson: Hard Luck Stories (1972-1982) [8CD Box Set; 11th September 2020]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

The invoice for $239.11 is more the problem.... I still have to resolve that. If I'm in the clear? Well then fine. I'm more pissed at just how protracted this has all been. I'm lucky in that most any problem with past music purchases has been cleared up quickly. So maybe I've been lucky. I dont have many horror stories.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

The invoice thing has already been cleared up - it's just so Universal can keep the books straight. No-one is getting charged.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

Hi folks. Just heard back from Joe Black at Universal. "I can confirm there will be NO charge to anyone for replacement discs".
    Good news.

See above. My post from Page 128.
    The Invoices appear to be just for Accounting purposes. You aren't being charged and unless Universal have your payment details, how would they recover the cost from you?
    I think Universal have been excellent in their resolution of the issue. The only failures in this release:
    1. Poor Quality Control with the initial Box Set.
    2. The confusing Registration Process for replacement discs - there appeared to be no acknowledgement of Registration resulting in multiple replacement discs being sent out.

Craig and uzn007 like this.
  4. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  5. Gianninord

Gianninord Well-Known Member

I found a note of Recordstore in the Packaging of the replacement discs indicating a due price of GBP 84,14. It’s normal? I ave to pay?

(Ho trovato nella confezione uno scontrino che indica un debito di GBP 84,14. È normale? Devo pagare?)

Craig likes this.
  6. Stan Butler

Stan Butler Active Member

Anybody else in the UK still waiting for their discs?

Imagine70 and Craig like this.
  7. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Received mine this morning. So no, but thought I'd make you aware they are definitely still coming!

Craig likes this.
  8. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

No.

Craig likes this.
  9. Gianninord

Gianninord Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Craig and Phil Tate like this.
  10. OneLife

OneLife There’s Bowie, & then everybody else

Received a 3rd set this morning! I've done a new bespoke cover, how do I post it? (jpg)

Craig and uzn007 like this.
  11. Stan Butler

Stan Butler Active Member

Thanks. Here's hoping they arrive today.

dockofthebay and Craig like this.
  12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Nothing arrived in sunny Warsaw yet :shake:

Craig likes this.
  13. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

Yes, I can't imagine anyone keeping faulty discs - so that's a non-problem. Buying new will obviously be a gamble as there has only been one production run, so it's a case of caveat emptor - not that there seem to be any sets left. I am sure that anyone selling second hand who has substituted faulty discs will say so and the buyer can ask. It's not surprising that Universal haven't adjusted the artwork as that would have added additional costs.

Craig likes this.
  14. Tim Rylance

Tim Rylance Forum Resident

Sellers flipping unopened boxes may be unaware of any problems.

At present there are five sets on discogs (Richard & Linda Thompson - Hard Luck Stories 1972-1982 (Box Set, UK & Europe, 2020) For Sale | Discogs ):
    • A set of replacement discs from Austria for €32.99
    • An opened set that plays without problems for the UK seller, includes digital files for £125
    • An unopened box plus replacement discs from the UK for £220
    • An unopened box from the US for $349.99
    • An unopened box from NL for €324.90
    And on eBay (hard luck stories thompson | eBay )
    • A set of replacement discs from the UK for £25
    • An opened but unplayed box from the UK, starting price £25.20 with one bid so far
    • An unopened box from Canada for CA$374.95
    • A set of replacement discs from the UK, starting price £10, up to £25.75 with a couple of days to go
    So only two of the six sellers of the original box set appear to acknowledge the problems.

15. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Yes well done to all for sorting this out. I hope/ assume the cost involved in doing so will mean better Quality control moving forward.
    peace and love✌Dave

16. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

I did also say it was a matter of caveat emptor, while the fact that on both Discogs and eBay there is mention of replacement discs might alert any potential buyer to the issue.

But the original point you made was that Universal's handling of the situation was unsatisfactory because the new discs look the same as the original discs. Given that not all the original sets were faulty and that anyone who had a faulty set could substitute the bad discs with good ones, Universal seem to me to have met their obligation to bona fide purchasers and to have no moral obligation for the after market and profiteering flippers. What they should have done for retailers, and I have no idea whether or not they did so, is invited them to apply for replacement discs for any unsold stock.

Lost In The Flood and Craig like this.
  17. How long does it take Universal to reply to your mail? I've contacted them 2 days ago (lots of other things have been more important recently, so I've been slow with this) but haven't heard anything from them yet.

Craig likes this.
  18. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

It seems to have varied quite a lot - I got a reply within an hour, others took much longer. However, it was a two stage process with an email response first logging the registration of the purchase and providing a link to a download of the discs. This was followed later by an email explaining how to sign up for the replacement discs. There is now confusion because it seems that some people who didn't get any reply initially, emailed and/or registered more than once and got multiple copies of the replacements. In other words it's not entirely clear that a lack of an email response means that you haven't been logged. However, the situation has now changed and in theory you needed to have ordered replacement discs by 15 November to get them. I think it's a good sign that your email didn't get bounced so the email address must still be open, but time is at best running out. I would email again soon and hope you get a reply the second time.

mdekoning likes this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Imgur.com is best, I think. Upload it there, then use the file link (www.Imgur.com/examplewdty247.jpg) and link that with the pic icon in the toolbar here. As long as you get the link with an image appropriate filename (.jpg, .bmp, etc.) it’s easy to post here. And Imgur seems to keep images for a very long time. Ones I’ve posted YEARS ago still show in threads, while other sites generate a “file not found” message fairly quickly...

Craig likes this.
  20. It sounds like I've missed the boat. Sadly there were some private things that have been more important lately, including both of my parents having covid.

Craig likes this.
  21. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

You have your priorities straight! I hope they’re doing ok.

Perhaps a forum member who received extra/unneeded replacement discs can send you theirs? I’m in the States so haven’t received mine and SHOULD only get one set, but we’ll see...

22. Thank you for the offer, I'll let you know if I'll need a set.

Craig likes this.
  23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

There is no way they can enforce an arbitrary deadline to replace a defective product. I would email them anyway, the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. It would be severely short-sighted of them to have only manufactured replacement discs for the exact number of requests they received.

Craig likes this.
  24. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

Absolutely disgusted that the Replacement Disc sets are being flipped. People really have no shame.

25. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Apparently a West Coast thing as well. Here in Eugene, OR, my Gramophones since July started showing up this last week. Still missing September, I believe.

Craig likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.