Richard & Linda Thompson: Hard Luck Stories (1972-1982) [8CD Box Set; 11th September 2020]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Another rip off....why do I have to buy eight albums I already have to get the unreleased stuff ?
    Sad that Artists I was a fan for 30 years and bought every snippet they released loose all credibility and my support.

ted321 and Alan2 like this.
  2. folkfreak

And because so many people do this the rip off continues.

3. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I’ll just listen to the rarities on Spotify and keep old copies of the vinyls

ted321 likes this.
  4. folkfreak

For me the original mixes are far superior to the remixes. The original mixes rock, the remixes are boring, lifeless and bland.

5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I see a lot of mention already about repetition of material previously available , which I understand to some degree however I would make the following points:

1) if you're not familiar with the Bobbie Gentry set that from the one picture this new set looks like might replicate, then you should know that the Bobbie Gentry set was fr****n amazing. It feels like a fans labour of love. The quality of recordings, the packaging, the information inside is phenomenal. It was a steal to buy it under £60. As for repetition - I would happily have @AndyB go through my record collection and turn out set of this quality for artists I love. We are in the era of bloated w**ky box sets, however this is not one of them. These are a fans dream.

2) I made the mistake a number of years ago of passing on the Sandy Denny 19CD box set due to repetition. I looked at the track list and at the time I recalled there was only the equivalent of only 3 CDs worth of material that I didn't already own and I hesitated.......and it was gone.

Of course it rose in cost dramatically thereafter. I managed later to pick the 4CD companion later for a very reasonable price and it is wonderful, but even then there were still a handful of tracks on that original set I did not have and of course that makes the high prices now even harder to justify. I think it is my singular music purchase regret not just picking it up.

I have no idea how much this set will be - I suspect the success of the BG set might push the price of this up - however a number of years ago I probably spent near the cost of the BG box set just to pick up CD versions of Sunnyvista and First Light and yet I will happily fork out again as I suspect @AndyB will make them shine.

6. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

OK @AndyB. Since you still on the Fairport trail, I hope my dream of a Dave Swarbrick set like this is still in the pipeline

Rags, Reels & Airs, Lift The Lid And Listen, The Ceilidh Album, Swarbrick 1, Swarbrick 2, Smiddyburn & Flittin' make the start of a great set.

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Amazon UK is listing vinyl reissues of Hokey, Bright Lights and Silver for Sept 2020.

athensdrums likes this.
  8. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Rip me off daddy, eight to the bar.

Mick Jones, Mazzy, C6H12O6 and 2 others like this.
  9. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Poor Simon. I think he came up with the label "The Tour From Hell".

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Oh no. An artist is releasing an album and charging money for it. What a ripoff.

Uncle Miles, Mazzy and C6H12O6 like this.
  11. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

As a new fan who's been using the quarantine getting into these two, this looks like heaven! And I got a summer job to pay for it...yes. does anyone know what the name of the set is? Is it known? The Amazon links posted earlier were broke...

AndyB likes this.
  12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

The image that was posted said Hard Luck Stories.

AndyB likes this.
  13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Links are not broke - just not gone live yet. I'm guessing the person who listen then has some knowledge that these are the links.

and yes - for someone like yourself getting into this pair, this is a wonderful set.

14. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

very interesting.

I'm in.

AndyB likes this.
  15. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Thanks both of you! Just assured that you could pre-order/see info on upcoming release, and there links = broken. But not gone live make sense!

We'll see what the cost is and if I'm willing to go for it but it sounds great.

uzn007 likes this.
  16. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

What I truly don't understand from comments made on SHF, is the complaining about "being forced to buy things twice", while also gloating about owning multiple vinyl pressings of the same album, and the amounts of money people are willing to pay on the secondary market. Surely these two sets of ideologies aren't mutually exclusive.

In the end I would rather pay a higher retail price for some overlap to the artist (or their label), than a price-gouged OOP rarity that feeds the pocket of a scalper.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

VINYL, people? no-one?!

athensdrums and ted321 like this.
  18. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

20. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I think they are tied in, their release(s) were pushed back with the box.

jlf and windfall like this.
  21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I do love "Bright Lights" and "Pour Down Like Silver"...

uzn007, RockRoom and AndyB like this.
  22. Philo

Philo Music Maven

Thank you for your service!

23. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

But the Linda years havent been extensively canvassed

Tom Campbell and C6H12O6 like this.
  24. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

Guess someone just couldn't wait a few more days for the announcement. oh well

uzn007 likes this.
  25. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

its incredible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.