Richmond Fontaine - You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back To (2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP) Thread Starter

Wow, nice, though seems a bit pricey for an EP, same as the new record with bonus 7" and CD. I guess it is almost 30 minutes, so maybe not too bad. Good to see it available again on a wider scale. Thanks for the heads up!

2. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

OK, somebody is messing with me:realmad:

I order the new album and then craigboau tells me Rough trade is selling the album with 5 bonus tracks. Then I say I'm looking for the Scenic Sessions CD, so they re-issue it on vinyl.

Come on Willy, I know you have a couple CD's lying around somewhere, hook a brother up!

by the way, this is the song they mention in heliocentric's post:

3. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

craigobau likes this.
  4. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Just received my CD of The Imperial in the mail today. Sounds great, haven't delved too deep into the lyrics yet. Favorite tracks after one listen: Where are you Sonny, Eddie & Polly, Holly the Hustle and He Don't Burn for Me.

also, a new interview with Willy via Americana UK:
    Interview: Willy Vlautin

Doesn't sound promising for any future RF projects:(

heliocentric, craigobau and Davey like this.
  5. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

Came here to post this. Hopefully my copy of the new album arrives tomorrow

Ernest T likes this.
  6. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

The title track is pretty sweet too!

7. Davey

Ernest T and craigobau like this.
  8. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I did it old school style today and went into an actual record store to buy my copy of The Imperial today.

I'm lucky that at the particular record shop I went to, Rough Trade East London, I was also able to get the 5-track bonus CD AND a ticket to the band's in-store live performance on Monday 21st January.

Can't wait to give the album lots of attention this weekend.

hamicle, heliocentric and Ernest T like this.
  9. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Need to get hold of this, the last Delines album was great.

Do you happen to know if the bonus CD was a Rough Trade exclusive or might it be available elsewhere?

10. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the bonus CD is a Rough trade exclusive (and its still available through their website).

The band also did a Rough Trade exclusive bonus CD with Colfax which had two non-album tracks and 2 Colfax tracks recorded for a KEXP radio session.

11. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I think this one is my favourite at the moment, but there's lots of competition, including a great track on the bonus CD called Room On The Tenth Floor which has lots of swirling strings and trumpets. Not sure how this one didn't make the cut for the album!

Ernest T likes this.
  12. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Thanks for the information, appreciated, yeah definitely just Rough Trade that have the bonus CD as far as I can see.

13. heliocentric

Highlight for me is Let's Be Us Again, sounds a lot more produced than the first album. Not that I'm complaining.

14. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

Any word on when this will be released in North America? crazy that a band from Portland releases its record in the UK way before home. I guess it's a shame they haven't found as good an audience in NA as In the UK.

15. Davey

It's released officially everywhere today. I don't know that they have a US label (or need one), but they have a store ... store » The Delines

You can also order through Rough Trade in NYC.

16. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

How do you like the bonus CD?

I ordered through the Delines web site, I wish I would have waited to get a copy that included the extra songs. It would have been nice if the Delines site gave us that option, I would have paid a couple extra bucks.

17. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I’m big fan of Richmond Fontaine and the first Delines album. My first impression of the new Delines album is not too postitive. A bit boring IMO. Too much one tempo affair. Hopefully it’s a grower and maybe I had too high expectations.

It’s also a bit annoying that you pre order what you believe is the ultimate edition directly from the label, and then find out that one store release a version with five extra tracks.

Ernest T likes this.
  18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I would agree that on initial listens The Imperial doesn't sound as diverse as Colfax, however, I'm finding that the addition of Corey Grant's trumpet to many of the songs provides a whole new layer of sound that was absent on Colfax.

Also, I think they should have included the bonus CD track, Room On The Tenth Floor, on the album as it's an uptempo track which would have added a bit more diversity to the album (and it's a great song!).

Ernest T likes this.
  19. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

I was thinking the same thing listening last night. I know The Delines aren't a rock band but this album could definitely use one or two more uptempo songs in the mix. Still enjoying it!

20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I had the pleasure of see The Delines perform last night in London at a record store called Rough Trade East.

The band did an 8 song set, all culled from The Imperial except one track (Gold Dreaming) from the Scenic Sessions album.

This was my first time seeing the band live and it was fantastic. It was also the first time in a long while that I was "down the front" at a gig and with the cosey environment of placing in a record store, it almost felt like my own private gig (although, in fact the show was sold out)!

I'm really looking forward to seeing a full show in a couple of weeks time when they return to London to play at The Jazz Cafe.

stefane, heliocentric and Ernest T like this.
  21. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Has anyone else picked up the Rough Trade exclusive clear vinyl? Thoughts on it? I'm a little disappointed - there's clicks through side A and non-fill on the last couple of tracks. Just started listening to side B.

22. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Enjoy! Great show in Dublin tonight.

23. heliocentric

I do and mine's fine.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    hamicle likes this.
  24. heliocentric

I completely agree. Colfax was always going to be a tough one to surpass, I don't think this one does but I really like the calmness of the music and Amy could sing the phone book and I'd want to listen. The Scenic Sessions vinyl arrived yesterday and as mentioned upthread I finally get to see them live on Thursday... should be a good week.

craigobau likes this.
  25. heliocentric

As mentioned, once or twice, went to see The Delines in a Church tonight and they were pretty special. Corey played the church organ at one point for a song off Scenic Sessions, can't remember what one. More or less played the whole of the new album and luckily "oil rigs" from Colfax which apparently they've been talking about dropping from the set. Great band imho.

craigobau likes this.