Rick and Morty - Season 4 (and beyond)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by daca, Nov 10, 2019.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Seasons 1-3 . . . brilliant. I have watched and will continue to watch these episodes numerous times. Season 4 . . . OK. Once was enough. Season 5 . . . I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. Does it get funnier, or is it more of the same "undergraduate humor" (as I've heard it referred to)? Seems like the work product of a bunch of writers and animators who got themselves a big contract and cult following and just don't give a **** or a **** anymore. Wub-a-lub-a . . . is there anything else on? Think I'll get schwifty with the remote.

2. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

This entire season has been hot garbage so far.

misterjones likes this.
  3. misterjones

Guess I'm not missing much. They are on my DVR, but I suspect I'll just delete them without watching them.

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah a lot of throw-away crap, but I think episode 1 and 5 were OK. The rest, meh.

JohnK

5. Buck Dancer

Buck Dancer Active Member

I was late to the party with Rick & Morty. I binged the first 3 seasons just before season 4 came out, I really enjoyed the episodes but I think it would have been even better if I had spaced them out.

I have found myself enjoying it less and less with each episode since then and after last weeks episode I'm not sure whether I want to continue watching it.

I liked the first season of Solar Opposites more than anything post season 3.

6. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

For me the new season has been much better than season 4 so far, with the 1st 3 episodes being great, the next 2 about like season 4, & last night's episode was just sheer, brilliant insanity, what the show does best.

7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

These have been pretty below par for me. 1 was alright, I liked the meta-setup piece in 4 and the Timothy Olyphant bits of 5. Season 4 I found myself finding a bit more on second glance but not this season.

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Season 5 has been a real let down, a couple of decent episodes, some meh, and the absolute worst episode of the whole show (S5 Ep 4). The writers are not even remotely as good as they used to be.

misterjones likes this.
  9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

10. misterjones

My cable package - the cheapest I could get - allows me five channels, which I can change each month. (That's about two or three more than I need.) In advance of the most-recent Rick and Morty season, I added The Cartoon Network. I got 10 minutes into episode one before I realized my mistake. What took you so long, you ask? Well, I suspect I dozed off for four or five minutes in the middle, though I'm not 100% sure. Perhaps it was just the eternal optimist in me. I no longer have The Cartoon Network, so I won't be able to enjoy the above lame-action Rick and Morty. (Oh, that darned automatic spell-correct Rick Sanchez programmed to read my mind!)

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Most of Season 5 has been what I would describe as "filler". Like when you let the bass player or drummer write one song per album, except that this time the main writers get lazy and let the album turn into CCR's Mardi Gras.

However, the Birdperson episode was brilliant, and the finale was everything that fans had been hoping for since Season 1.

13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I do have to add that the reveal about Rick's wife was a pretty big letdown.

14. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I liked getting some canon (finally!) but the pacing is still too quick.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oooo-wee! Much is explained in the final 2 episodes, including an (all-too-brief) rundown of Rick's tragic backstory...

Rick and Morty Finally Reveals Rick's Tragic Backstory

'Rick and Morty' Season 5 Finale Review: Game Changer Reveals All - Variety

As suspected, his wife and "original Beth" were killed in a violent explosion caused by a duplicate Rick, and he spent many years trying to hunt down that Rick in order to exact revenge... but he never found him. There's not a lot of explanation as to why he chose universe C-137 to live in, with this specific family, under these circumstances.

Tons of funny lines in this show, but I agree with @Edgard Varese above that the show moves so fast, you blink and you lose important details. It's a very profound and huge show, but also very funny and crazy. I still have to watch it again to understand the Central Finite Curve...

16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I find that these last two seasons in particular it's all half an exercise in a screenwriter kind of working through issues out loud; or said another way, half the jokes seem to be based in what a writing room would know and joke about.

That said one reference I didn't get was in the tavern scene Rick responded to Morty's kill their Big Bad already comment with the "will they kill they" is real important to my guys. Not sure if that is a screenwriting trope as well.

So on the whole to me the season ended well and its an interesting place to leave us. I for one kind of get the backstory let down by design and it fits for me going back to the "writing for the the writing room audience"... with some good meta comments thrown into the mix to make the point clear.

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

The more I think about it that "will they kill they" is just an R&M-styled riff on "will-they-won’t-they". Subsequent viewing I noticed for the first time Pussifer lined up on the Big Bad team. Rick turning into wood threw me off; but an anime reference it seems. Always so many wafer layers.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aaaaaaand...

Season 5 starts on September 6th, 2022! As the promo says, "They're ripped and ready!"

[​IMG]

19. Bluesman Mark

On my birthday! Pretty damned cool birthday present!

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

21. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ya know, I think Season 5 had some good moments -- and I cut them some slack because they were trying desperately to work during COVID lockdown.

23. Bluesman Mark

The loss of line producer J. Michael Mendel didn't help either. I love the show, (practically the only one I watch on TV), & take the uneven with the great, because every episode has moments of sheer brilliance. Season 5 gave us Mort Dinner Rick Andre, Amortycan Grickfitti & Rick & Morty's Thanksploitation Spectacular, that to me rank with any of their best episodes.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aaaaaaand... a new Season 6 promo just dropped today. Show will be back on September 4th.

25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

OK. So post # 93 says season 5 starts Sep. 6th,
    I'm guessing it's actually season 6 on Sep. 4th.

Season 5 was a let down and I'm a big fan of the show, There seemed to be too fast of a pace to what was arguably non funny material over most episodes.
    Here's hoping that they return some of their original mojo into this show.