Rick Beato 'breaks down' series. (What Makes This Song Great?)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Oct 30, 2018.

1. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to start this as a permathread where we discuss the latest Rick Beato video where he breaks down a classic song.

I always loved 'Head over Heels', but seeing the isolated tracks broken down and Beato playing the raw chords on his piano really brings my appreciation to a new level.

2. manco

Tears for Fears is a severely underrated band. No wonder Steven Wilson loves them and was put in charge of their 5.1 remixes. There is so much to learn from Roland Orzabel's compositions.

3. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

Love Beato's "What Makes This Song Great" series.

Spaceboy, ex_mixer, Bemsha and 15 others like this.
  4. manco

It's really good because:

a) Beato is a real musician - he demonstrates melody lines, chords himself on instruments; he also knows music theory for those that are interested

b) he breaks down the song in ways you will not see anywhere else

I guess if you can't be a 'rock star' in 2018, you can teach clinics and do what Beato does. There are other ways to make money in music than the traditional methods.

Hermes, scousette, ex_mixer and 26 others like this.
  5. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

His one on Kid Charlemagne is good - he plays those solo's too!

6. manco

To me his series is a lot better than all the cover videos. 99% of these covers are pretty **** to begin with. So instead of that, I like his approach where he simply 'covers' a melody line or a chord sequence as part of analysis. This series is a breath of fresh air compared to all those retarded 'x reacts to heavy metal' channels.

7. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Does he have a big stash of all these master tapes lying around?

8. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

One of my favorites was for Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down", peeling back the layers and highlighting all the craftsmanship that went into such a deceptively straightforward sounding song.

9. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

He mentioned on his channel that he knows someone who got him these multi-track tapes. He has an impressive amount, it appears. I believe a few were removed by youtube after copyright complaint(s) but most remain.

10. manco

Beato is part of some online music academy. Youtube is just a side business for him.

Saint Johnny and slashdot87 like this.
  11. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Beato is the smartest guy in the room when it comes to breaking down songs. He has an amazing ear and is a studio-level musician on several instruments. Cool dude too.

Hermes, Bemsha, J_D__ and 10 others like this.
  12. JosephRose

JosephRose Forum Resident

I watch most of them, but he never actually talks about what makes the song great. Just tells you what chords are being played, etc. Knowing the name of the chords isn't what makes the songs great.

13. He certainly has some good source material. It can't all be Guitar Hero tracks.

14. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Well for many, like the Tears for Fears song, he discusses how the melody follows or expands on the chord progression, and what notes are used in the melody, as the song shifts modes are it goes.

scousette, somnar, evh5150 and 2 others like this.
  15. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

That one is one of my least favorites of the ones I've watched because it ended up being mostly a guitar lesson, and I'm even a guitar player. I prefer the ones where he spreads his discussion across all the instruments, like Toto's "Rosanna" is a really good one. Though I'm much more a fan of Steely Dan and "Kid Charlemagne" than Toto and "Rosanna."

jfeldt and Greenalishi like this.
  16. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

17. George P

George P Notable Member

The Stone Temple Pilots one is great!

18. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Check out his vid on Blink 182’s “All the Small Things”. You’ll never listen to the song the same way again.

jfeldt, Greenalishi, bmoc79 and 3 others like this.
  19. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

He even knocks out that ridiculous Luke solo at the end. Insane talent at work in Beato.

Ed

ex_mixer, limoges and ispace like this.
  20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Agreed. His STP, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Nirvana (Heartshaped Box) and Toto break down videos are my favourite.

21. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Alanis Morisette - You Oughta Know

His video gave me appreciation for the production and Flea’s bass playing. He appears to have access to copies of the multi tracks.

jfeldt, Greenalishi and Fender Relic like this.
  22. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Love his enthusiasm for the material and his ear for picking out what the band did with the tracks.

23. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I recently watched his video breaking down “Go Your Own Way”, pretty cool discussion/demo.

George P likes this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

What a pedantic, nitpicky thing to say. His infectious enthusiasm and effusive praise for how these chords work together along with melodic and rhythmic elements is the real fun of this series, for me

25. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Yeah, he doesn't take the next step pointing out how all the parts coalesce into greatness. It is hard to pinpoint exactly (greatness) because it's a combination of so many things. And it's art...so subjective. I enjoy his deconstructions immensely.