Rick Beato 'breaks down' series. (What Makes This Song Great?)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Yes, some truth in both those comments. I admire Beato but a child isn't a performing seal and there's only so far that a parent should force their ambitions on him.

BeatleBruceMayer and testingcan like this.
  2. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

The multitracks are out there. I have tons just from the internet alone from when I was obsessed with collecting them. They can be anything from stems, rips from surround mixes or Rockband or just straight up multitrack copies. His career in music production certainly improved his access to these multitracks which tend to circulate within the industry. I have many of the ones he's used in his videos, others I don't. There were only a few he's used that I wish I had.

nosticker likes this.
  3. Jerquee

He has definitely used full multitracks.

nosticker likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Can you give us examples of such instances?

5. Jerquee

Here's one where you even see the Pro Tools session:

Where are you getting the idea that he only uses stems?

As I've said, these multitracks are out there.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Haven't seen all 100+ episodes yet so thanks for the correction

Jerquee likes this.
  7. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I remember back in early 2008, there were a bumper crop of multis out there one weekend from major artists. That's what happens when you leave all the "computer work" to interns. :) Thanks, guys.

Dan

8. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Rick revives that ol' chestnut: "Good song = no. of chord changes"

Beamish13 and Saint Johnny like this.
  9. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Big fan of his "what makes this song great?" series, but his constant dogging of new music is coming off like an old man out of touch, especially since he often focuses on bad pop music, rather than the good new music, of which there is plenty. I am sure he misses when rock bands were mainstream and ruled the music world, but bitching about bad modern pop music isn't going to change that.

jfeldt, petem1966, Beamish13 and 3 others like this.
  10. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

he’s deliberately focusing on the most popular stuff right now, virtually all of which is utterly insipid. I’m fine with what he’s doing.

Saint Johnny, painted8 and ispace like this.
  11. Theristocrat

Theristocrat Forum Resident

His approach has nothing to do with age - he highlights the utterly pitiful state of the music charts today - I know enough young people that would agree with his take on charted music, as they listen to 60s/70s/80s predominantly for the reasons pointed out by Beato.

12. motionoftheocean

and when Beato is singing the praises of Olivia Disney (don’t remember what her last name is), I’m sure nobody goes to the “old man” card, either.

ispace, Theristocrat and painted8 like this.
  13. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

im not a Beato expert but i saw a few eps and he seemed pretty generous to new music, some where he'd listen blind and complimented quite a few, trap music etc, that was som months ago but he seemed pretty positive

ispace and George Co-Stanza like this.
  14. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

15. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Guess I missed the slagging stuff. Seems much more straightforward to me. Most of the stuff he does is not my fave. But I like his take on it.

16. George Co-Stanza

I guess. And to reiterate, I am a big fan of his, as most of my posts in this thread would indicate. I just like it better when he is being positive about good music rather than bitching new music that sucks.

Unless I missed it, I noticed he never mentions Taylor Swift when talking about new popular music. I'd like to hear his take on her newer albums, although my guess is that if he doesn't like it, he figures it is better to just not to say anything rather than the internet Swifties flooding his pages with criticism just because he doesn't love her music (and many of her online fans are that nutty like that, lol).

17. motionoftheocean

Taylor Swift is atrocious

AveryKG likes this.
  18. George Co-Stanza

*dislike*

:p

Sordel and Saint Johnny like this.
  19. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Not sure I go as far as saying "dogging" or "out of touch" ......he's certainly qualified to voice his opinion on the current state of the music scene ..merely pointing out the really basic (pedestrian) approach to song construction that is happening in a lot of these pop hits...no progression at all.What else could you expect from an "all things music guy"?

.....I gotta go yell at some bratty kids ripping up my lawn :wave::magoo:

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  20. motionoftheocean

it’s pretty depressing how an opinion that goes against the mainstream these days is dismissed with the childish epithet of “hater” from people too feeble to form an argument.

ispace likes this.
  21. motionoftheocean

and just because I've done a lot of defending of Beato recently, I have to point out that he did a recent video singing the praises of some atrocious Counting Crows record and I've just never been able to get that excited about mundane "rock music, maaaaaaan!"

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

He likes a lot of atrocious '90s music. Mainly grunge which usually makes up most of his top ten lists.

Beato is a pretty knowledgeable guy, and his "What Makes This Song Great" series is entertaining to see all the layers that go into creating a pro hit song. I think his instructional videos are terrible though. I don't see how a beginner could learn anything from them. He introduces a concept and then goes way overboard. Like if he does a video about mixolydian he'll say "it's that b6" and then proceeds to shred it on guitar with no practical application, or play a ridiculous series of complex chords on the piano that no novice could possibly follow.

petem1966 likes this.
  23. motionoftheocean

totally agreed on the instructional videos. I know a bit about what he's saying - enough to say I'm not a beginner - and the information he's provided is not remotely intended for beginners. there are some videos he's posted where he's clearly stated that they're intended for advanced or intermediate students, but the stuff he aims at beginners is, for the most part, absurd. and unless you want to watch a guy try to dazzle you with how much he knows, you're not likely to get much out of it.

Roman Potato Chip likes this.
  24. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Yeah, that's a perfect description of his content. People like to say he's a nice guy based on the videos they watch, but he's definitely got an ego (and wants to show off). A guy in the comments to one of his videos was (very politely) asked how having perfect pitch would make you a better composer in this day and age. Rick blew his stack, called him an idiot (literally), and told him to look at all the great composers that had perfect pitch, how it was a greater percentage than the general population. Yes, of course it is Rick! They were trained in music! There are probably lots of people with perfect pitch that never get the musical training to know it. Of course it would be more common among classically trained musicians. There were plenty of great composers without it as well. Anyway that's not the point. The point is he was so rude to the guy for just asking a question. I've seen him react similarly to constructive criticism, and innocuous jokes.

petem1966 likes this.
  25. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

I'm probably one of the "not impressed". I haven't seen anything he's done that I couldn't have done myself, but didn't 'cos I don't want to. If other folks like it that's fine though.

Goat likes this.