Rick Beato 'breaks down' series. (What Makes This Song Great?)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Just watched Rick's old Oasis-Wonderwall breakdown.:righton:

Huge fan of Noels' songwriting here, bit I always felt it was one of Noel's lesser achievements, musically.
    But Rick's breakdown showed how what appears to sound rudimentary to the non-musician and as fairly simpler simple minded, is musically quite complex and tonally unique, is actually quite hard to accomplish.

2. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

I normally don't like many of the songs Rick finds great, but Recover the Satellites is a tremendous album.

3. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Oh, pretty please? For us?

ispace and Rose River Bear like this.
  4. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Ok, just for you. This chord is followed by this chord, which is followed by this chord, and resolves on this one.

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I am sure you can but who has the time to do everything that might be of interest? Plus there is always the chance that his take may provide additional things you may not have thought of. His string gauge comparison video was interesting. I could have done it myself but it saved me time and money watching someone else do it.

6. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, like I said, if other folks like it, that's fine.

7. Talpa

Talpa ourmaninthesouth

being in the djent camp these days (metal has really pulled me deeper & deeper since '70) - was kinda fun to see him riff out on one of the cool hooks off Meshuggah's Demiurge on his djent video. (tricky phrasing within the arpeggiation actually, and he pulled it off) =\

8. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Recovering the Satellites is in my top 10 of all time and I apologize NOT. Seems Counting Crows are uncool. Whatevs. Beato's enthusiasm for it is wonderful and that was a great 40 minutes!

Sordel, BeatleBruceMayer and ispace like this.
  9. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Guitar fans: Rick has a very lengthy interview posted with Pat Metheny. Check it out:

jfeldt, Colinjpush, zphage and 4 others like this.
  10. Django

Django Forum Resident

11. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Folks, this is so well done:

jfeldt, Actuarybrad, ted209 and 4 others like this.
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It's not one of my favourites of all time, but it's certainly one of my favourites of that era. "Another Horsedreamer's Blues" deserves to rate with the classics.

JoeF. likes this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I really like that album too. Perhaps runs few songs too long, but it's still enjoyable. "A Long December" is a nice slice of retro '70's singer-songwriter that reminds me a lot of The Rolling Stones "Winter."

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Looking forward to watching the Metheny/Mays video. Love that tune!

ted209, Greenalishi and Jimbino like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Rick's segment about Sister Rosetta Tharpe taught me a lot that I didn't know, and is an excellent introduction for those who are not knowledgeable about this woman and how she literally invented rock and roll guitar.

16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Duhhh... I posted a video by Warren Hewitt on a thread about Rick Beato.

In my defense, I was in fact sleep deprived, having been shooting music on the Blues cruise until 1:00 in the morning, having to pack all my equipment, not getting to sleep until 3:00, and having to get up at 8:00 to leave the ship.

Another mitigating factor is that this really is an excellent video. It's just not by Rick Beato.

17. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

True. Warren is great.

Comet01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Rick's interview with Sting at The Power Station in NYC.

19. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I've stopped watching anything Rick Beato for some time, a little out of protest because he does too many click-bait titles. Like he'll put up a video titled, "I have something important I need to tell you about the future of this channel!" Spoiler: he wants you to send him money, so he can hire extra employees to keep making all this great content for you. Although later he will revise the titles of his new videos to something more honest.

I did get a laugh when he interviewed Tim Henson, young guitar player in Polyphia, who referred to the way classic rock guys play guitar as "Boomer bends". Beato ran with that to make more follow up videos titled "Boomer bends" to make fun of that idea.

McKigney and Greenalishi like this.
  20. Talpa

Talpa ourmaninthesouth

would love to see Beato interview Bob Pollard or Bob Mould - if even doable.

21. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

I too have been sort of actively avoiding his videos, for the same reason: an allergy to the youtube-y, click-baity titled (which later get revised), silly thumbnail b.s. that most channels seem to adopt as their popularity grows.

Having said that, I still think Beato has tremendous knowledge of music theory and crazy stupid instrumental ability.

22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That's because once you monetize your channel, you have to play the algorithm game or your videos will get cheerfully steamrolled by the Youtube juggernaut and nobody will be suggested your videos anymore.

Chris DeVoe, Greenalishi and Sordel like this.
  23. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

True, you can be someone on YT who keeps their pride, never uses a clickbait title and doesn't ask viewers to click like, subscribe and ring the bell or ... you can have a successful channel.

ispace, StarThrower62 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

I only discovered his channel at the start of the week- wow! Someone with real talent and expertise discussing music and breaking it down in a constructive criticism. His knowledge and passion for music is clear for all to see. I'm subscribed and playing catch up with his previous posts.

longdist01, ispace, SoCalWJS and 2 others like this.
  25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

This is the 2021 version of "I've stopped listening to this band ever since they sold out and signed to a major."

Jaap74, Mai Tem Baht, ispace and 4 others like this.