Ridley Scott's Prometheus (2012) - Alien prequel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solaris, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

So what are your favorites of the more obscure titles?

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

They do. The ending will have quite a surprise too.

3. benjaminhuf

Is Scott also making a sequel to this prequel?

4. benjaminhuf

anyone heard about this 100m Pompeii miniseries that Scott is producing? Apparently it's already filming?? I read the novel about 5 years ago. It's a fairly good novel of that genre...

from imdb:

More at IMDbPro »
    Pompeii (TV Series 2012)

A dramatic thriller set against the backdrop of Mt. Vesuvius just before and during its eruption.

Writers:
    Robert Harris (screenplay), Robert Towne (screenplay) (2012), and 1 more credit »

Storyline

Engineer Marcus Attilius is placed in charge of the massive aqueduct that services the teeming masses living in and around the Bay of Naples. Despite the pride he takes in his job, Marcus has pressing concerns: his predecessor in the job has mysteriously vanished, and another task is handed to Marcus: he is to undertake crucial repairs to the aqueduct near Pompeii, the city in the shadow of the restless Mount Vesuvius. And as Marcus faces several problems - all life threatening - an event approaches that will make all his concerns seem petty. Written by Anonymous
    Plot Summary | Add Synopsis
    Plot Keywords:
    Based On Novel
    Genres:
    Drama | History | Thriller
    Parents Guide:
    Add content advisory for parents »
    Edit
    Details
    Germany | France | Spain
    Language:
    English
    Filming Locations:
    Alicante, Alicante, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain See more »
    Box Office
    Budget:
    $130,000,000 (estimated)

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah I think that's already been blurted out (the ending that is)! We shall see if its true.

6. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Will this be at the level of quality of the original Alien? If so, this will be celebration time among science fiction and horror fans. I hope this is first class story telling.

7. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

There is only one sequel to Alien, just like there are no sequels to The Matrix.

I bought a box set of Alien DVDs once, the funny thing is it had 4 DVDs. Two had a movie on them, the other two just contained white noise. Weird.

If this Promotheus is really an Alien prequel, then that means lots more H.R.Giger design. Sweet.

--Geoff

8. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

might be worth a gander

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Does not seem like Giger is
    involved , sadly he has been brutaly screwed by Fox

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Whilst I love his work and have several books on his work its not like he's really needed. All the core designs are there already.

I'd shake his hand and buy him a drink though.

Does look however that they have screwed around with the alien ship design but we'll see. If the rumours are right there could be a good explanation for it.

11. Rando

Rando Active Member

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think the official longline gives away the whole plot, does anyone see that?

The log line on IMDB reads: A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well I suppose he can't go back. Both blade runner and Alien were lauded for their dingy, dense claustrophobic look. That look made Ridley Scott. But I suppose if he tried to employ that again theyd say he's dating himself, so he's going for the current slick special effect heavy Star Trek (ala jj abrams) look. Eh, I still would have like to see the old Scott look.

14. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I agree. I might even endure the dirty chairs, sticky floors and rude audience members to see this one.

In fact, this is more exciting to me than the original Alien because this focuses on an entire alien civilization, rather than one monster onboard a ghost ship.

15. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

... or the Smoke Monster (since Damon Lindelolf is one of the writers).

--Geoff

16. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Agreed.

17. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Actually, if I remember correctly the Nostromo crew were brought out of cryogenic sleep early by "the company" to investigate the planet. Why did the company do this? Did they know more about the planet than they let on to the crew of the Nostromo? It would seem that the events portrayed in Alien were NOT first contact in nature after all.

18. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I was thinking about this tonight. If the Nostromo picked up the 'distress signal' would it not have relayed that info back to the company in which case it would have been checked out well before Ripley's comeback 56 odd years whatever later. You lost a rig and didnt go out to investigate? Trace back its steps?

I can only assume that the signal was picked up by the Nostromo and automated systems just kicked in to investigate as per protocols. Then maybe their systems didnt allow for intergalactic broadcast back to the company.

To be honest the whole backstory for the human 'world of Alien' is a bit sketchy really.

19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight Thread Starter

At 0:44 in the trailer:

Attached Files:

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I think there are elements in Alien that suggest the company bioengineered these creatures to somehow advance its mining efforts. I like RS and I thought the first Alien film was a stroke of genius in imagery. Especially for a time when special effects were much clunkier than they are today. I welcome the prequel and a chance for RS to revisit the story with modern CGI capabilities.

I thought all the Alien films sucked after the first one. Cameron is not a director whose work I enjoy.

21. SPOILERS:

I believe that Scott is suggesting that the creatures from "Alien" were bioengineered in "Prometheus" (and perhaps us) by this alien race and that the ship we see in "Alien" is a freighter designed to carry these bioweapons perhaps for a war or some other unknown reason.

It's pretty clear in "Alien" (and "Aliens") that the creatures were NOT bioengineered by the Company and that the Nostromo was designed to respond to any signal suggesting first contact. Ash's protocol was to save anything that might be useful to the Company's bioweapons division as he mentions in his speech during the film at least as I recall.

Watch "Alien" again and you'll get the gist of this.

Accorrding to Scott he's using minimal CGI for the film as he 1) doesn't think it's as convincing and 2) feels it's even more expensive than building the actual sets, miniatures, etc.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I believe in that trailer you see the alien "eggs", however they aren't eggs -- they're metal containers. You could be onto something with this bioengineering idea. And yes, the space jockey appears in this movie. you see his head on an examination table in the trailer!

23. It may well have been but it also might have gone only to the bioweapons division, might have been classified or could have been forgotten in 56 years time.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I've watched Alien countless times, from the theater when it first came out to the new Blu-ray release. It's pretty much committed to memory. Ash's programming was to protect the life form -- all other priorities rescinded. There is nothing in the film or what Ash says to rule out the idea that the company bioengineered the life form and/or arranged for it to be found by Nostromo. Especially since Ash and "Mother" were programmed by the company and couldn't be trusted at all. Prequels also reserve the right to be more than a little revisionist. But I suspect Scott will leave many of these questions unanswered, while still making a worthwhile film.

25. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

maybe I will watch "Goon" instead...lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.