Ridley Scott's Prometheus (2012) - Alien prequel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Solaris, Dec 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

That last bit of the fake script with the jaws coming at the camera..how clichéd is that?

Oh boy.

2. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

Lindelof does.

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well it wouldn't be the first aspect of the film that didn't make sense to some of you. :D

And the reason that Vickers acted so robotic was to try to be more like David and win the love of her father since he seemed to love him more than his own flesh and blood.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Actually Lindelof is relatively new to Hollywood. I hope he continues to work in both TV and film. I'm a fan. I like his unconventional story-telling a lot. This is a new century, time for something new.

5. westcott

westcott Member

For TV he cobbles together Gilligan's Island and Twilight Zone. Now he's collaborated with Scott on a Chariots of the Gods docudrama.

Yes, it's time for something new.

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"http://www.prometheus-movie.com/community/forums/topic/7023"

this is where they loose me,still liked the movie ,not great,but belongs with
    Scotts better films ,not as good as the Best,but no GI Jane or Matchstick men

its a shame they didn't have the money to do the effects in 4K ,instead they
    had to compress the movie to fit with the 2k effects

7. Lonson

Sorry you don't appreciate his work. I've found it quite enjoyable. You don't have to see his work, just avoid it.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have no opinion either way about Lindelof, but I'd argue it's not that easy. It's not like someone who says "I hate Pink Floyd!!!" - that person can simply choose not to listen to their music.

But what if you hate Lindelof and love Ridley Scott? Film is more collaborative than most other mediums, so it's tougher to sort out these biases. It's not as simple as "don't like Lindy - avoid him", IMO...

9. westcott

westcott Member

Too late this time. But I've learned my lesson. (Fool me twice…..) :shrug:

10. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Recently I read of Japanese research where the reseachers say they can fairly predict not only the potential success of a coming film but also then, its box office 'staying power' over a given period. Based on surveying the continuing amount of Web 'chatter' taking place, both before and after its release. Since SHF is now up to Page 49 for chatter on Prometheus.... any way you look at it , it must be seen as a marketed success.

Taking something from that point, made about new research regarding future predictions..., I am reminded of the wise comments Vidiot made, about say Rock of Ages and its startling absence of "pre -release chatter amongst film fans" . . Notice then how that film rang true to form, according to the same -such new mentioned formulas.

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Saw it today in 2-D. Thought it was rather carelessly directed, frankly. some of the action scenes seem to cross the 180 line.

In some respects Ridley has never evolved beyond "The Duelist" - beautiful compositions, sequences that don't always cohere. He's great at spectacle, he just doesn't seem to know (or care about) how to make the spectacle move.

And, no, I don't blame the editing.

12. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

It's Ridley Scott revisiting Alien. That's going to have a built in audience, just like Star Wars (ep 1, 2, 3) and Indiana Jones 4 did when they came out. The reason there's so much chatter is because, like those other films, for a lot of people the movie didn't meet expectations, while others loved it almost unconditionally. I do wonder what the studios wanted/expected the movie to take in.

There's a lot to like and dislike about Prometheus, and many of those critical of the film still say it's worth watching. I can't fault anyone who liked or disliked the movie.

13. Listen, I'm not thinking too hard about the movie. It took me along for a fun ride. It was beautiful to look at and had some good chills. It's not a direct Alien prequel but was merely set in the same universe. That accounts for the inconsistencies vis a vis it and the other Alien movies. Just sit back, munch your popcorn, and enjoy. I'm looking forward to seeing it again in 3D.

14. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

We saw it in IMAX 3D Friday night and I really enjoyed it. It was the second time for my date and I think she'd see it again.

15. Burt French

Burt French New Member

Well, folks, I think I've found a 'telling' piece of evidence as to why Damon Lindelof is fundamentally coherency-challenged when it comes to 'telling' a story. This is Damon in his own words:

"When I was a kid there were these books called the Encyclopedia Brown Mysteries. Essentially it was a boy detective who worked out of his garage, and the boys in the neighborhood would come and say, 'Hey, my bike got stolen, my piggy bank got broken into, will you solve the case, Encyclopedia Brown?' It would be about a five- or six-page story, and there would be some sort of clue in there that gave away the answer. And then you would flip to the back of the book and see if you were right. I would read the story and immediately flip to the back of the book even if I hadn't guessed it, and my dad saw me doing this and he ripped out the answers on all my Encyclopedia Brown books. So I would go to him and I'd say, 'OK, I solved the case, I think that I know what it is now.' And he'd go, 'Oh I threw those away.' ... I guess I could've walked into any bookstore and just pulled another copy off the shelf, but that was less interesting to me than basically sitting with my own theory."

16. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"In some respects Ridley has never evolved beyond "The Duelist" - beautiful compositions, sequences that don't always cohere. He's great at spectacle, he just doesn't seem to know (or care about) how to make the spectacle move."

I don't agree with this at all,its a lot more than compositions that make the duelist
    a great visual film,You seem to forget that Alien is a very moving Film which isn't
    just His talent with visuals ,and has many fine performances

Scott seems to make a lot of so so films mixed in with some fine films
    But his visual talent seems to be back in high form in this film,But the script
    isn't great,while most of the casting and performances are very good

17. Lonson

I just don't see the big problem with this story that Lindelof caused. The story makes sense to me, it's an homage to Alien with parallels in character and theme, while still being its own film. I wasn't confused the first or the second time I saw it. I consider it a success. And I don't have problems with other Lindelof works.

Now that I've seen the movie twice in the theater, I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw it again today this time in IMAX 3D and enjoyed it once again. I'm able to look past some of the cliche's and plot problems and just enjoy the spectacle. It is one beautiful looking 3D film.

Still impressed by the cast and the CGI.

So, if the "engineers" spaceship had successfully lifted off and returned to Earth, they were gonna dump all that Alien DNA into our water supply and Aliens would rule the Earth after they ate us all? Hey, that would be a great movie!

And I wonder whats to become of baby Alien thats left alone on that barren moon with nothing to eat.

19. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I don't know anyone expressing confusion about the movie. Some things simply don't make sense. That's not the same as being confused.

It's a great spectacle, and it's scifi/fantasy/horror about humanoid robots and aliens, so it doesn't have to make sense to a large degree. What the movie cannot do is take the viewer out of the viewing experience. That's what it did for me and for many others.

20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The next movie script he has written just shows an empty room for two hours and the audience watching then has to go home and imagine what went on in that room.

Gripping stuff I'm told.

21. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

i hope there will be an extended special edition of this Gripping Thriller!!!

22. Lonson

Well, I didn't encounter anything that didn't really make sense worth fretting over, and I was not taken out of the "viewing experience." Twice.

So I don't see the problems, lucky me. I enjoyed the script for what it was. Just as I enjoyed LOST, immensely.

23. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Apparently there is. It re-instates a sequence where a leaf falls from a plant in the corner of the room and another where a fly buzzes against the window for 20 minutes.

It's then up to the person who watched it to spend months on internet forums thinking up silly theories about the 'significance' of it all.

Oh and it will be in 3D too.

24. Lonson

Don't quit your day job. ;)

25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The only thing that bothered me a bit, and took me out of the movie, was that the surgery scene seemed rushed and simplistic, with the incision--a major one I might add through multiple layers of tissue and muscle--sealed up a bit too easily. Maybe furturistic robotic surgery will make a procedure like that no big deal, but if so it wasn't explained well.

John K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.