"Ringo" on 1991 Apple CD - opinions please!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

Considering the high prices on ebay for the DCC version of this album :help:, can anyone let me know how the UK Apple CD stacks up? It was released in 1991, was mastered by Doug Sax and seems to be unavailable now - but I've found a cheap one I can have if it's worth getting. Is it different from the currently available US CD?

:)

2. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

on my humble Sony separates system I honestly don't notice much difference between the Apple CD and the DCC Ringo - steps back in anticipation of the flames. On Hotel California, Elvis 24k, EJ's Greatest & Nat's Greatest Hits: yes, on Ringo: No. Same goes for Parallel Lines and City To City.

JohnnyH

PS despite the above comments, I do own 2 copies of the DCC Ringo (for investment purposes only, of course :) )

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

There is a cross-fade difference of the two. Steve's DDC "Ringo" doesn't cross-fade "Devil Woman" & "You & Me (Babe)".

4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The crossfade is only on the US CD, not the UK. However, the UK version strangely inserts one of the bonus tracks ("Down and Out") into the album running order.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Apple CD is No-Noised. Steve's DCC version is not. "Step Lightly" is mastered much lower in volume on the Apple CD(this may not bother you, but it did me).

Other than that, no major differences. I've heard both, and I prefer the DCC. Do yourself a favor and get it.

Evan

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The DCC is by far the best "Ringo" ever done:) Near perfect as it gets...

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I think the DCC Ringo is a heck of a lot better than the domestic (U.S.) and like Matrix Man said the volume drops on Step Lightly, this really used to bug the crap out of me as well.
    The DCC to me is much more analog sounding and open to these ears.

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Is it worth it?

Well it depends on how much you love the music I guess.

The intro to It Don't Come Easy sounds amazing on the DCC.

9. "It Don't Come Easy" has little or no compression on it on the DCC. I thought the two discs sounded night-and-day different. The Sax version you found is adequate, but they are likely not the same tapes that Steve used and also are unlikely to have been handled with the kind of care that Steve applied to this project (no offence to Sax intended, this is a markedly superior Hoffman treatment).

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'm not sure, but I think Apple and Steve used the same "Album Master", the two-track mixdowns stitched together to form a master tape.

I could be wrong; wouldn't be the first time!

Evan

11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

If you are vinyl capable - an inexpensive alternative to the DCC is usually available in the used bins at cheapo prices. Some are trashed - some aren't, but if you can hunt out three copies, you will probably find a good one (that's what it took me, at $3.99 to $4.99 each). The US version (the only one I am familiar with) was actually a damned good sounding slab o'wax.

Plus side: If your lucky (I was) you get the full size lyric book - a pretty neat thing to have.

Down side: No bonus tracks (It Don't Come Easy was NOT on the lp).

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yes, Uncle, I also have the original vinyl(with booklet); I got it(them)for only $1.00!

The British 45 of "Photograph" sounds absolutely amazing!

Evan

13. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Agreed - still have my Ringo LP I bought new when it first came out. That's a nice "piece of plastic"!

14. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

The original UK pressing and the original Japanese pressing did not use NR...the sound the same. The US pressing is another story...Larry Walsh used NR all over it..."Step Lightly" took the worst hit. The credit in the UK booklet to Doug Sax is the original mastering credts for the LP as it appears in the original booklet of the LP. There are no re-mastering credits on the UK or Japanese original CD's. If you can't locate the DCC..the UK pressing you saw will do just fine...go back and pick it up...you don't find those original UK pressings around too often anymore....

JF

15. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I meant to say THEY sound the same...the original UK and Japanese pressings...also these pressings don't have the croosfade like the US version but do insert into the original LP track listing at track 4..."Down And Out".

JF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.