Ringo`s kit on McCartney?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken Wood, Dec 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ever asked yourself which drum set Paul used on his home-recordings of McCartney?
    I just was looking at the booklet that came with the archive release and on a photo on page 8 (dated 1969) I glimpsed a very familiar drum-head on the floor of Paul`s Cavendish home that spells "Beatles".
    If you go by the quote by Linda on page 19 "There was a set of drums knocking about the house so he used that".
    Part of the drum-set are seen in a number of pictures following, later a great one showing Paul playing it in the garden on page 77 (taken in April 69* by the dating of other photos of him playing instruments outside the house wearing the same shirt). Further on page 109 among the instruments listed on the press-release it says "Premier drum kit".
    So I don`t think the drum kit was simply "knocking around the house" but actually Ringo`s. Paul must have borrowed it from him (despite not being on best terms with his band mates then as well as keeping the sessions kind of secret). Or did he simply nick it from the EMI storage room where the Beatles kept their gear? He must have returned it for the I Me Mine session in early 70, I guess. Or was it a earlier extra set Ringo had? He didn`t use the "pearl" one on AR, did he?

Minutia for the obsessed, I know. But I still wanted to share it.

*really? Or misdated and actually 70?

2. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

I think Ringo's kit was usually kept at Paul's house after he moved in there.
    Didn't Ringo use his Bronze looking AR kit for I Me Mine and all sessions from the White Album on wards?

andrewskyDE, somnar and Ken Wood like this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ringo had several kits.

4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Ringo hadn't used a Premier drum kit since 1962 or very early '63, he was strictly ludwig.
    I'm guessing the press release had it wrong if the photo's show one of Ringo's Ludwig kits.

blehman and Ken Wood like this.
  5. Ken Wood

Yeah, I just realized this - so was McCartney recorded on Ringo`s FIRST kit? That would be amazing.
    This is one for the drum gear heads (and I am not one). I am gonna post a photo from the booklet.

JDeanB and vudicus like this.
  6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

7. Ken Wood

Actually a link to a pdf of the whole booklet for research matters for those who don`t have the set - hope this does not collide with forum rules.
    If so: sorry, please delete.
    McCartney 2011 Deluxe Book.pdf

8. Ken Wood

Really? I didn`t know that Ringo`s kit was stored at Cavendish.
    And indeed, from the Get Back sessions on the bronze one was used (Hollywood kit).

lordcat likes this.
  9. Ken Wood

vudicus likes this.
  10. Ken Wood

Just in case the link gets deleted here are two from the booklet that are online in other contexts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Ken Wood

PS you can even spot part of the Beatles head in the b/w one on the lower right corner again.

12. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I wonder if he ever gave it back.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen him with a very similar Ludwig kit in later years.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  13. Ken Wood

[​IMG]
    Ab better look at the drum head on the photo to the right.

andrewskyDE, supermd, theMess and 2 others like this.
  14. Ken Wood

What I can say with some certainty now after looking at photos is that this is not the Premier kit.

Lownote30 likes this.
  15. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

I read Ringo say that Paul borrowed the kit to record his album and when Ringo got the kit back the Beatles bass drum name plate was missing. I'd assume Paul symbolically disposed of it or retained it but Ringo said he never got it back.

16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Could it be the same one that's on display in Rude Studio?

[​IMG]

Allen Michael, phillyal1, 905 and 8 others like this.
  17. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

Tell Ringo !

18. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

The drum kit used on McCartney is Ringo’s first Ludwig kit which he traded the Premier kit in for. (He eventually had 4 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl kits plus the Maple Let It Be kit) It’s not the same kit that was used on Ed Sullivan though. That was his second Ludwig kit. The kit on McCartney was the one that sold for $2.2 million in 2015.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Paulwalrus, Binni, maui jim and 9 others like this.
  19. Ken Wood

Oh, that`s a cool story - where did you get that from?
    Yeah, I was also wondering which of the seven bass-drum-heads is seen in the photos.

20. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Wasn't one of Ringo's drumheads stolen during (or possibly shortly after) the Abbey Road sessions when his drums were stored at EMI? I remember reading this and have to ask if this could possibly be the same kit?

Ken Wood likes this.
  21. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

I think it was about the time Ringo auctioned off a lot of his memrobilia.

Ken Wood likes this.
  22. Ken Wood

Thank you, I was wondering if it would be this one because it looks like it does not have that Swiv-o-matic* tom-tom-mounting that Ringo seems to have (put) on all his Ludwig sets since Ludwig-set #2. Plus it looks like it is a smaller bass-drum, he changed to a bigger one with Ludwig-set #3 (see, I did some reading in the meantime).
    * if I get the idea of that thingie it includes modifications on both the tom-drum as well as the bass-dum, replacing that "handle-bar" there.

23. Ken Wood

Yes, there is a story that one of the Aerovans stole it during their sessions in 1967 (that was denied by another band-member).

raveoned and GuyDon like this.
  24. cs2003

cs2003 Forum Resident

About 15-20 years ago Record Collector Magazine printed a story and photographs of a group recording at Abbey Road in the 1960's, they sneaked into the storage area to see the Beatles instruments and took photos and held the guitars, I would have nicked something.

25. Ken Wood

The one sold by Ringo in auction was Ludwig-set #3 - it does have a swiv-o-matic mounting.

StevenTounsand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.