Ringo Starr: Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Y-y-you put Stop And Smell The Roses and RingoRama out of order!!! :eek::wtf::faint:

But in all honesty, nice collection! :righton:

theMess, apple-richard and omikron like this.
  2. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Friends of mine in college mistook "I Can Help" for a Ringo tune. I think that was pretty common at the time. Swan really does sound like Ringo at moments.

3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Yeah I saw that after I took the picture. :doh:. :)

omikron and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Prepping for the next album - the live album from the 1989 tour, which I have never heard though I saw the tour - I am not seeing it anywhere to stream on Amazon, Spotify or YT (though there are videos of shows from the tour up).

omikron and theMess like this.
  5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

omikron, Rfreeman and theMess like this.
  6. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

And now we’re on to Ringo’s first live album and what I consider to be the start of his “comeback” era.
    Ringo Starr And His All-Starr Band
    [​IMG]
    Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band is Ringo Starr's first official live album, and the first album recorded with his All-Starr Band, recorded in 1989 during his successful comeback tour and released in 1990. It was also Starr's first release of unheard material in seven years.
    After taking a hiatus from his solo career following 1983's Old Wave, Starr spent the next few years making TV appearances and guesting on other artists' recordings and gigs, as well as recording an album that would remain unissued. In 1988, however, he and wife Barbara Bach accepted that they both were suffering from alcoholism and took steps to rehabilitate themselves. Once Starr was sober, he felt the need to work again. Before delving into an album, he wanted to hit the road – but with a difference. Always one to include friends, Starr formed the All-Starr Band, an ever-changing live line-up of musicians that would back Starr up, in addition to each performing a song or two themselves. Booking himself on the road from July to September 1989, Starr was accompanied byDr. John, Joe Walsh, Billy Preston, the Band's Levon Helm and Rick Danko, Nils Lofgren, Clarence Clemons, and session drummer Jim Keltner. The shows were often sold out and were well received. The performance contained here was recorded on the closing nights of the US tour at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles.

My Thoughts
    I honestly don’t tend to listen to live albums as I am usually content and more familiar with the studio versions. So I haven’t actually heard this.

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Track listing:
    1. It Don't Come Easy (Ringo) 3:03
    2. The No-No Song (Ringo) 3:18
    3. Iko Iko (Dr. John) 6:05
    4. The Weight (Levon Helm) 5:48
    5. Shine Silently (Nils Lofgren) 6:39
    6. Honey Don't (Ringo) 2:30
    7. You're Sixteen (Ringo) 2:57
    8, Quarter To Three (Clarence Clemons) 3:50
    9. Raining In My Heart (Rick Danko) 5:14
    10. Will It Go Round In Circles (Billy Preston) 4:02
    11. Life In The Fast Lane (Joe Walsh) 6:13
    12. Photograph (Ringo) 4:20

There was also a deluxe edition with a bonus EP with "It Don't Come Easy" and "The Weight" from the album plus exclusive versions of Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way" and Ringo's "Act Naturally."

8. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Easily the best live Ringo album, with my favorite versions ever released of "Life In The Fast Lane" and "Will It Go Round In Circles". The live albums from here on out will have varying degrees of quality, but none will reach the heights of the first All-Starr band album.

9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The album is taken from two shows at the Greek Theatre on September 3 and 4, 1989. I was at the second show, so that's me you hear applauding on "Iko Iko," "The Weight," "Shine Silently," "Will It Go Round in Circles," "Act Naturally," "Life in the Fast Lane," and "Quarter to Three." (I'm also on "With a Little Help From My Friends" on the Nobody's Child charity album and the version of "Honey Don't" overdubbed by Carl Perkins for his Go Cat Go album.)

This was the first of several All Starr Band albums, all of them frustrating for failing to include the complete show. This one is notable for its lack of Beatles songs (only "Honey Don't" — not even a Beatles original — on the main album).

10. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

The All Star releases are like the Law of Diminishing Returns for me. Each time the "stars" are lower on the food chain and the songs are less desirable (for me) to want to hear.

The novelty wore off quickly for me after this one. I have the Ryko CD and don't listen to this one often but at least I don't do any skipping to get to the Ringo songs when I do.

I will say this for the concept, Ringo (or whoever came up with this) was a genius. Let's get together a bunch of guys who probably couldn't or wouldn't put on a solo tour with enough affable material but have one or two extremely well-known songs. Pull them together under the star-power umbrella of Ringo (I can see a Beatle live on stage!) and you have a recipe for success.

I'd be way more interested in going to see these shows than I would listening to the CDs. I'm sure the instant gratification of seeing these fine groups of people on stage is much more satisfying.

This ended up being the perfect vehicle for Ringo, though, to revitalize his career and his newly-sober life. Kudos to Ringo for getting back on track and still be out there doing what he loves. I may not totally love this release but it is a major achievement and milestone for Ringo.

Fun fact: last time I was in the shop-o-goodies where I live, they had a Japanese LP of this release with the obi-strip and maybe even still sealed. Didn't look too hard at it. Let's just say it was under $100 which is probably not bad considering.

WilliamWes, BZync, theMess and 4 others like this.
  11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I got the deluxe edition with the extra disc when it came out. 1989 was an exciting year with both Paul and Ringo out on tour.

Seeing Ringo in concert for the first time was a thrilling and fun experience, especially with that first All-Starrs Band, so many legends on that stage. I saw the show at Jones Beach and I had friends in the first sections who were able to sneak me in towards the front. A great show I’ll always remember like seeing Wings in 1976 at Madison Square Garden.

The cd Set was an excellent souvenir of the show and is one of the best of Ringo’s live albums.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

We had pouring rain for the show in Holmdel ... but we also got Springsteen. :)

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

This was an incredible line up and an incredible concert experience when I saw it 30 years ago last week at the Mann in Philly. Certainly the best ASB and I have seen most of them. It was my first time seeing a Beatle as well as my first time seeing every one else on stage other than Nils and the two members of The Band.

I've never heard the album. If it were available to stream somewhere I would have checked it out for this thread. But this was not a band like the Grateful Dead where songs reached a new and better level live, so I don't really feel compelled to listen to seek out the audio if it takes more than clicking to stream it.

The only disappointment of this tour to me was that he barely touched the material which had featured the guests touring with him. It would have been real nice if he did Occapella with Dr John, I Am The Greatest with Billy Preston, In My Car with Joe Walsh, Sunshine Life For me with Helm and Danko. Seemed sort of a waste not to highlight these collaborations. But I can understand the marketing concept of sticking to the hits (and Beatle tunes which were known by everyone there even if not hits), none of those collabs were hits, and a 27 song set was ample.

14. Beachedboy

Beachedboy Forum Resident

Did this chart anywhere?

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

We got Mighty Max

RayS likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I can't read this without kicking myself for passing on a chance to see a show on this tour. Someone offered me a free ticket, but I had no idea what the All-Starr band was. Plus it was at a summer amphitheater that was a huge pain to get to. Finally got to see the 2015 lineup, in a much more intimate setting.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Mine is the deluxe with the EP in a cardboard slip case. I really enjoyed this one and think it's the best of the All Starr Band albums.

omikron likes this.
  18. tonylevin'ssuitcase

tonylevin'ssuitcase Forum Resident

Howdy all! Long-time lurker to this thread. Thanks for inspiring a re-listen to the catalog. While I haven't listened to it in ages (need to again soon), the first All Starr disc has a soft spot in my heart. I became a fan in the very early 80s, so it was a rather dark time for new releases. Early in 1989, I actually had a dream of a Ringo concert, starting with "It Don't Come Easy." And then, amazingly, news broke of Ringo's first ever tour. I was beyond excited and can now say that I saw Ringo's first ever solo concert in Dallas. I spent what was a small fortune to this minimum wage Beatle fan for 10th row tickets (only to find they were 10th row BEHIND a bunch of more expensive table seating) and finally saw a Beatle on stage. During all of the 80s, it seemed unlikely that any of the ex fabs would tour again, so this was something that was a moment I am still glad I made an effort to be a part of. Of course, I bought the CD (or CDs as I later learned and picked up the 2 CD bonus version as well) and played it to death. Good times. :)

WilliamWes, Skywheel, mrjinks and 6 others like this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

An awfully large chunk of that first All-Starr Band is no longer with us. :-(

21. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I guess I'm in the minority here from what I have been reading but this is one of my least favorite of Ringo's live albums. I have the CD, deluxe CD & vinyl. There are several ASB albums later on I prefer to this one. With all the years that Ringo has been touring I sure wish I would have gone to see him more times than I have.

WilliamWes and omikron like this.
  22. tonylevin'ssuitcase

Indeed! This was the only time time I saw any of the first band who have since passed, other than Billy Preston in the 95 lineup. Would have loved to see Billy on his own, but it was not to be for me.

Were it not for Ringo's bands, I would have never seen either John Entwistle or Greg Lake, both of whom I've been big fans of since almost as long as I've followed the Fabs.

23. tonylevin'ssuitcase

I've never really compared the live albums, but I think one of the advantage of the early incarnation of the All Starrs is that they actually had a connection with Ringo. I think all of the original lineup did, but after that there were fewer and fewer who had actually worked with him before.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Amazingly I got to see every single one of them perform again after this tour, even Keltner who rarely played live.