Ringo Starr joins Paul McCartney on stage at Dodger Stadium.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by let him run..., Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Yeah I know what you're saying. I really meant "practice" because Paul's arrangement differs slightly from the recording which was probably the last time he played the song.

But I think we both agree the main goal is not to have competing drummers. That would sound terrible.

GoodKitty and Glenn Christense like this.
  2. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Steve Litos likes this.
  3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Why last night's show was particularly special to me - perhaps an OT post

The Paul McCartney concert last night was special to me for a number of reasons: come November it will be the 30th anniversary of my first two McCartney shows; this Dodger Stadium performance is his last scheduled (surely he'll tour again, but at 77 - who knows?) and Ringo Starr came out to perform two songs (one of which - Helter Skelter, I'm sure Ringo hasn't played since 1968.) Paul and Ringo sharing a stage is a fairly rare thing - it has happened perhaps a dozen times in the last 53 years. I have had the insane good fortune (and privilege) to have seen this miracle duo twice! The first time at an Earth Day benefit in 1993. Paul and Ringo when together stop being just famous, entertaining people, and become a living form of history or science (or magic) where space and time become nonsense.

But what was truly, truly very special is that there were two children in my party. Siblings of a very close friend - and both kiddos know their Beatles, though the young 11 year boy REALLY knows his stuff - and has been inspired by the Fab Four to pick up drumsticks, which is tear-jerking in and of itself.

In spite of being an ardent children-are-definitely-not-for-me person, hearing their excitement over every little thing -"OMG is that the stadium?," "Wow, there are so many people here!," "LOOK! There's a banner that says Paul McCartney" and their bizarre concert beliefs: "Do you think he will sing any Beatles songs?", "Do you think we'll know when it is starting???," Where does he pee?" - well listening to all of this really made me very happy.

I remember my first concert, also at Dodger Stadium, also when I was 11, and also my favorite artist at that time, Michael Jackson. I vividly recall the red notebook I brought along. It has entries in it in nearly illegible script with some fantastical adventures in spelling, which enthuse such banalities like this: "it is 5:05, just got in the car with Dad." "It is 5:35, the radio station is playing Karma Chameloen (sic)" "It is 7:10 wow, there are so many people here."

Being with the kids yesterday, I enjoyed listening to them speak into their phones; recording their excitement over the things that in my middle age I pay absolutely no attention to - sculptures of baseballs, Dodger Dogs, the rigging holding up the speakers. They took, what have to be, the worst photographs ever seen, and did so with an innocent zeal that was touching.

They loved the show, I mean they loved it. And felt that they got a specialized, personalized extra performance when Paul returned to the stage to perform an encore. Who would lack the heart enough to tell them that wasn't true? I clearly remember Michael's encore. I was standing on my seat - we were on the field, I wrote into my battered notebook, "Is it really over this time?"

defmoot, RubenH, LSP2003 and 13 others like this.
  4. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

The real question I have not seen answered is were Larry King, Mary Hart (Ent 2Nite) and her hubby Burt Sugarman (Midnight Special) there in their usual first row behind home plate seats??

Guy Smiley likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I really miss those two...

6. Michael

I knew that, and still think it's really cool...

jamesmaya likes this.
  7. Michael

or the Applecore...all the meat is gone.

GoodKitty likes this.
  8. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I wasn’t being negative towards Ringo. I’ve seen enough of Ringo the last few decades to see that he’s become a bit lazy in situations like this. Let’s face it, he’s become very used to having another drummer and most of the time, it’s the other drummer doing the majority while Ringo just keeps the beat. Watts is almost as old as Ringo but yet, he he’s the only one doing the drumming and does a fine job. Ringo seemed to put a bit more effort into drumming when he was behind George at the Prince’s Trust or RAH gig. But not with Paul. Only keeps the beat. I would have loved to see him do the solo on The End. Don’t tell me it’s been 50 years. He did it at that Liverpool celebration a few years back. So, I think he remembers it. I think he’s just become lazy and I don’t see any real effort from him anymore. But, I still love the guy. He’s was in a group that created amazing music that I have loved ever since I heard them in the mid 60’s.
    Don’t want to insult anyone but I thought Walsh’s parts on The End sounded awful on the video which was surprising because he’s not a bad guitarist. Uh oh, I guess this might get me banned now. :tsk:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    vitorbastos123 and GoodKitty like this.
  9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Suspended, possibly, for your "lighten up" admonishment. But not banned.

I agree on one thing. Another guitarist may have been a better choice.

10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

11. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Similar to the Concert for George.

12. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

LOL

13. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

I'm thinking of something like the Concert for George after the last Beatle passes away. A one time event.

14. maclen

maclen Senior Member

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

They are both vegetarians...

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Yes, it is very special. Maximum Beatles possible (unfortunately)

joeislive likes this.
  17. Is Ringo a vegetarian for medical/health reasons or by humanitarian principle? (I don't want to discuss this; just asking.)

18. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

It really is incomprehensible to me that these 2 guys can look how they look and what they do at their ages. I don't even know what to say about it anymore.

19. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

I think he's a health enthusiast. He said he exercises daily at gym with a personal trainer on a talk show a few years ago. Ringo doesn't have much body fat. Paul could stand to lose some weight.

ParloFax likes this.
  20. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I hate to see Paul get old. This guy is so great and created so much happiness through his music, he shouldn’t be allowed to get old. I love these guys.

theMess, RockRoom and GoodKitty like this.
  21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Just wait until they pass. It’s going to be ****ing hard!

GoodKitty likes this.
  22. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Wait wait, so now Ringo is lazy?? :doh:

When you’ve made literally billions of people happy through the music you’ve provided to the universe, you get to decide how much drums you play or don’t play.

And maybe, at almost 80 years of age, it hurts to play too much or too hard, so he’s happy to participate and that in turn makes *most of us* (but not you) happy.

Maybe that’s why your original comment was deleted. Because it made sense to almost no one here, much like the post above. Just a nicely veiled troll job.

Elliottmarx and edenofflowers like this.
  23. Well the eat really healthy and don’t drink, although paul does a bit.

Also they are are not sitting all day and night in their rooms listening to records or posting on forums. :tiphat:

erikdavid5000, 905, Ken Wood and 7 others like this.
  24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

It will be fine all the music is not going anywhere !!

25. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

We'll ALWAYS have Keith Richards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.