Ringo Starr - New Album “What’s My Name” 10/25/19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by enfield, Mar 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

A lot more than it will.

2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Ringo did apparently drum on a Joe Walsh session with Mick Jagger in 2013, but that's yet to see release.

The Complete Works 2013.htm

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Oko

Mike Visco likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yono Oko????

;)

5. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Bring it on Ringo! Lets go!

For those of you who think we don't need this - THE OTHER ALBUMS IN HIS CATALOG AREN'T GOING AWAY! You can still listen to them. The more, the better in my opinion.

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ohno

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'm sure this is utter blasphemy, but if I were to compile 80 min CDRs of

(a) my fav solo Lennon tracks not on POB, and
    (b) my fav solo Ringo tracks not on Ringo

I am certain I would listen to (b) more

8. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Lenn Johnon's wife.

9. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

It's an acquired taste. Personally I miss John Lennon every day and can't imagine (all pun intended) how cool it would be if he lived and had as many solo albums as Ringo. Sure there would be clunkers, but there would almost certainly be classics as well.

Hep Alien, JDeanB and No Bull like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sure I agree with all that.

More to the point I am glad Ringo continues to produce an ever growing catalog with some new catchy Beatlesque tunes on every one, and can't imagine why folks need to snark about his desire to keep writing and recording music with a little help from his friends.

Peace & Love!

11. Mike Visco

for the record-one of my favorites is actually Rotogravure. I remember buying the cut-out 8 track at a K-Mart type store on Black Horse Pike summer of 79 and playing it a lot.

12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I think people are just intrigued given that Ringo albums just don't sell.
    In the UK even Paul McCartney only has a dedicated fan base of 15.000 who buy his albums in the first week of release. I doubt Ringo sells even 10% of that.
    Does he have his own label or is he signed to one?

13. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Even more puzzling is the plethora of live albums, basically repeating the same songs over and over again. If the studio albums don't sell much, the live albums must sell even less. Over the years Ringo has been on dozens of different labels but now seems comfortably lodged with Universal.

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, in fairness, it's been since 2010 since we've been subjected to a physical release of yet another Ringo live album, but your point remains valid.

I've often said I don't understand the economics at play here. Presumably labels are paying Ringo for new studio albums, and presumably his ego is sufficient to want more than just a few $$$ for a new album, but who ends up making any money on them?

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yeah I buy every studio one and go to see most of the tours, but pass on the live albums. Number of times I am ever going to put on a Live Ringo CD to hear Yellow Sub instead of putting on a Bestles CD = 0

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  16. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Maybe he'll release a limited edition of the new album in a deluxe package like Paul's ES "Traveller Edition". Lots of Ringo goodies housed in a fake snare drum with maybe even an autograph for........dare I say $500 or more.

17. I’m sure Ringo sells at least 2300 copies worldwide of each record he releases :tiphat:

18. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I am not sure at this point of his life Ringo needs another 50 grand. He just does not know what else to do.

19. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

These days if he sold what he did while on Atlantic and Portrait in the 70's. He'd probably be in the top ten. Wonder if "Scouse The Mouse" even sold more than 2300 copies?

20. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

It's not gonna happen. Maybe Ringo needs to get on the "ticket bundling" CD bandwagon. At least that way more people will hopefully hear it.

MPLRecords likes this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Well that's one way to describe making new music with great musicians because it is the thing you most love to do.

Sure beats being a depressed alcoholic. And a more appealing career trajectory for an ex Beatle than "house husband" or "gardener".

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

(But then I am someone who is about to take a big tax write off for all the money I blew in 2018 recording new music with one of Ringo's great musician friends)

23. Mike Visco

I still record original music at 58 and I only wish I could afford a studio. I just give free CDs to a limited amount of friends as I know they will become coasters-especially the ones I stuck labels on and can no longer play (now I use lightscribe)

Big kudos to Ringo. So many oldies acts don't even attempt new songs.

Hep Alien, lavalamp3 and Rfreeman like this.
  24. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

True, and a lot of people do so music because that what they love to do - but not named Ringo their stuff is for friends and relatives only )).
    In his shoes I wonder if I'll do anything differently.

Hep Alien and Rfreeman like this.
  25. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Last year I went to one of his concerts here in Germany and he didn't play even one new song from his last album. Also no new CDs at the merch table. I don't understand it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.