Ringo Starr EP -Zoom In (19th March 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Saw this on Twitter today:
    “I’m having a great time in the studio I love my bass drum Mike i’m in the middle of an EP peace and love.”
    [​IMG]
    https://twitter.com/ringostarrmusic/status/1301280265747095552/photo/1

When his last album came out, I recall him saying he was done with albums. Perhaps he’s sticking with that (although I hope physical copies will still be made for any future releases).

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

3. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Great news. First day buyer.

Sargon likes this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Not a fan of Ringo's music from the last ten years but it's cool that he's still recording at the age of 80.

rkt88, Man at C&A, Sean and 6 others like this.
  5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Good for Ringo. I think every time he knocks out 3 tracks in his home studio, he should put them out!

RickH, marklamb, jammincrowe and 2 others like this.
  6. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I'm amused that he's 80, but uses a BAPE phone case like my kids who are 10 and 14.

buzzzx likes this.
  7. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I will make sure i'm first in line for this EP

Sargon and PhoffiFozz like this.
  8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Ringo plays on Toots & The Maytals new album, Got To Be Tough. Specifically, he plays tambourine on Three Little Birds and cowbell on Having A Party. Zak Starkey co-produced the album and plays guitar throughout.

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Does Andy White play drums on those tracks? :)

Wordnat2, ex_mixer, jmxw and 15 others like this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

Sly Dunbar and Toots himself, respectively. Plus Cyril Neville on percussion.

Ringo also played drums on a new Ray Wylie Hubbard track Bad Trick.

11. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

He also plays drums on Steve Lukather’s new song and is in the new video on Utube. Nice tune with Joseph Williams adding vocals for those Toto fans.

Lee Davis, theMess, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Would anyone care to speculate or discuss Ringo's decision to move to the EP format?

Do you think it's more an industry move or more of a Ringo move?

Certainly the concept of the album is becoming more fractured as digital streaming grows. People can pick and chose what they listen to individually. A virtual collection of songs no longer means anything really. Moving to smaller batches of songs released more frequently makes more sense in this new world. Ringo has extremely low album sales so this could be a way to help bolster that in some way.

As for Ringo himself, he seems to be creating some thin albums lately. The running times are fairly short and the track listings are trending short too. Perhaps he just would rather do 4 great songs at a time instead of 10 songs, six of which are mediocre. I don't necessarily have a problem with that.

Wordnat2, 2141, dylankicks and 11 others like this.
  13. pokemaniacjunk

He probably wanted to be out on tour with the All Star band more and an EP would be much quicker to write and record than a full album

Sargon, omikron and Bill007 like this.
  14. Haristar

I'm guessing he's grown tired of the whole making an album every other year/touring thing. He's 80 now and maybe he wants to live the rest of his life in semi retirement.

I hope he does go back to making albums though - it would be a shame if What's My Name is his final album.

Sargon, omikron and mrjinks like this.
  15. omikron

I just read my post back to myself and I was dismayed to see that it was quite negative! Oops. Didn't really have negativity in my mind when I wrote it.

I'd be happy to get albums from him but I'd also be happy to get short bursts of really good batches of material too.

The coupling with live tours is a good point I hadn't considered. He'd only need to play a handful of new songs live anyway if that was his intention. The whole album wouldn't be necessary.

I just hope that he doesn't fall into a new pattern with the EP. Some upbeat title track, a history song, a rocker and a peace/love song or something like that. I hope he can work in some more interesting material too instead of his formula.

Sargon, Hep Alien, jeremylr and 6 others like this.
  16. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Like Beatles covers and re-recordings of Ringo solo songs!

;)

jmxw, Ringo Hendrix, jeremylr and 4 others like this.
  17. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Ringo's unabashed positivity keeps me coming back!

klockwerk, 51IS, frozenpianos and 7 others like this.
  18. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Ringo can do whatever he wants. EP, LP.Single. Whatever. His positive nature is really needed. I drive in rush hour and having his music on loop is very good for my nerves.

19. omikron

Yeah! That would be something he's never done before! I like it! o_O :)

20. revolution_vanderbilt

It's becoming somewhat of an industry thing, at least among artists with smaller fanbases from what I can tell. But I'm sure Ringo sees something in it too. Rather than record an entire album every two/three years, he could record a few songs and release 'em. And when he feels inspired to do a few more songs, he can do it again.

Mesozoic Mike and omikron like this.
  21. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Why? What's My Name is an improvement on the rest of the post-Hudson albums in songwriting quality, despite being bathed in autotune like the rest of em. I'd rather he go out on that than make another album with the same production techniques but worse songs.

The concession here is that I think "Grow Old With Me" and "Money" are two of the worst recordings in Ringo's catalog. Somebody really needed to take his computer away.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  22. pokemaniacjunk

Actually this could be a pretty good idea if done correctly, I Call Your Name really fit his voice well and he could try rerecording songs from the less popular albums like Ringo the 4th and and Bad Boy

23. Haristar

I didn’t mean to imply it’s a bad album - I actually haven’t gotten round to listening to Ringo’s last two albums yet - I just think it’d be a shame if his album career would come to an end. It would leave Paul as the only Beatle still releasing new albums, and I do a get a bit of comfort out of there being new Beatle related music that I’ve yet to listen to.

But of course it has to come to an end eventually.

24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Surprised in his advanced age that Ringo hasn't done another country record.

Simon A, Sargon, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

Surely there's enough tracks over the past so many years now to put together an album length country playlist at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.