RIP Beatles Photographer Robert Freeman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

Robert Freeman, the photographer of the photos on the covers of Beatles albums from With the Beatles through Rubber Soul, and of many other iconic photographs of the group and its members, has passed away. His book, The Beatles: A Private View, is a terrific collection of his work.
    RIP, and thanks for all of the timeless images that you created. They will live forever.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

As we share a name it made a big impression on me seeing his name on the albums I started getting when I was 6.

Sad to hear of his departure

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oh man... RIP Mr Freeman. He made amazing photos of the four boys!

oboogie, saborlord123 and Exotiki like this.
  4. A visual legend..RIP

Exotiki likes this.
  5. I knew he was sick. Had met him several times over the years. He gave me a signed Lennon contact sheet ( of the In His Own Write series) and I own some of his other photographs and all his books.

BeatlesBop, Bill, arob71 and 8 others like this.
  6. SuddenSam

SuddenSam Forum Resident

I know other photos may be more iconic, but my favorite Beatles picture remains the one he shot for the cover of Beatles for Sale.

It conveys some of their innocence, but there’s also a weariness to it, illustrating the toll the chaos had taken on them. It’s not early-period matching suits, and it’s well before the longer hair and mustaches and beards.

It’s how I choose to remember them.

RIP, sir.

Rich C, arob71, stevenson66g and 3 others like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

robertfreeman-withthebeatlesouttake.jpg

Paul McCartney on his passing:

"Dear Robert Freeman has passed away. He was one of our favourite photographers during the Beatles years who came up with some of our most iconic album covers. Besides being a great professional he was imaginative and a true original thinker. People often think that the cover shot for Meet The Beatles of our foreheads in half shadow was a carefully arranged studio shot. In fact it was taken quite quickly by Robert in the corridor of a hotel we were staying in where natural light came from the windows at the end of the corridor. I think it took no more than half an hour to accomplish.

Bob also took the Rubber Soul cover; his normal practice was to use a slide projector and project the photos he’d taken onto a piece of white cardboard which was exactly album sized, thus giving us an accurate idea of how the finished product would look. During his viewing session the card which had been propped up on a small table fell backwards giving the photograph a ‘stretched’ look. Instead of simply putting the card upright again we became excited at the idea of this new version of his photograph. He assured us that it was possible to print it this way and because the album was titled Rubber Soul we felt that the image fitted perfectly.

I will miss this wonderful man but will always cherish the fond memories I have of him."

Thanks Bob.

Love, Paul

8. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Thank you mr freeman. Your work will be enjoyed by generations and you will go down in history as a legend. Thank you for everything, we will miss you

[​IMG]

9. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I'm sort of curious. Does anybody know how he ended up with the gig photographing the Beatles? Was he a Capitol guy? Did the band find and pick him? Did they meet him somewhere? Did he photograph anybody else of note? How did he land that job, doing so many of their covers? Just curious.

lightbulb likes this.
  10. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

I met him in 2004 and he graciously signed my copy of the Beatles For Sale EP.

I hope that whenever Revolver gets the deluxe treatment it deserves, they'll revisit his astounding unused cover design:
    [​IMG]

11. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Robert Freeman (photographer) - Wikipedia

RIP :tiphat:

Adam9 likes this.
  12. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I'm surprised they didn't use this. It's great!

nedison likes this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Or a picture disc. :)

14. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

R.I.P. Robert Freeman. Thanks you for the most iconic album covers of all time...

Rickchick and andrewskyDE like this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Is there a more iconic album cover? One of my all-time favorites. Thanks, Robert.
    [​IMG]

16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The design was used on the cover of an aftermarket re-packaging of Revolver (similar to HMV's non-canon box sets), along with a book of Freeman's photos from the album sessions.
    [​IMG]

2141 and nedison like this.
  17. My mini tribute

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Very nice.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Rhetorical question, mi amigo.

20. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

RIP Robert.
    I have his book ‘ A Private View’ and enjoy it as a great addition to my Beatles book collection.

musicfan37 and Mazzy like this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Nice tribute. He means "With The Beatles", of course.

stevenson66g and Mazzy like this.
  23. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Great tribute man. What an eye

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Bravo once again.

Rip mr freeman

25. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

He is correct either way isn’t he?

supermd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.