RIP Frank Bonner

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nightfly68, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gary Sandy posted that Frank died yesterday. Herb Tarlek was my favorite character on WKRP. Godspeed Frank.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. RIP

For Herb Tarlek alone, Frank will be remembered. What a comedic force he was on that show

4. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Oh man ...

Herb Tarlek was one of the funniest characters ever on TV. Those suits, the hair, the "get out of there".

RIP Frank

5. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That turkey drop episode had one of the funniest scenes in US television history.
    [​IMG]

6. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was an episode where Frank was stressing out about something. He was sitting at his desk rubbing his temples and said something like-"God, what does a stroke feel like?" I almost pissed my pants I laughed so hard.

7. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

What a great character on such a great show. I still quote the things that Herb would say. Rest in peace.

Greenalishi, ffracer, Sean and 5 others like this.
  8. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Herb forced to move Jennifer's piano all by himself was always for me a highlight of this great show. He kept ramping up the arc of it beautifully.

RIP

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  9. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

:( Loved that show, great ensemble. You just think the people of your favorite shows will go on and on forever, and...

10. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

So sad. I worked in radio and there was always a Herb-like character in the sales department. That’s what made the show so great... those characters, while exaggerated in many cases, had a lot of truth behind them.

Looking at stories on the internet about Bonner’s passing, I found this part of an interview with Loni Anderson. It wasn’t related to Bonner’s death, just a standard interview with Anderson.

She was asked about her favorite memory from WKRP:

Gosh, I have so many. But there’s one spectacular scene I did with Frank Bonner, who played the salesman who was always after me. Jan Smithers, who played Bailey Quarters, told me to accept a date with him and maybe I would scare him away and he would leave me alone. However, it didn’t scare him. We have a scene alone in my apartment, which was so beautifully written. Frank is really poignant in it. It was such a wonderful scene to play because he’s so talented and gifted. We got fan letters, the two of us, from Steve Allen and Jack Lemmon about that scene. So I think that’s my favorite memory.

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz The Fifth Bangle

This is sad news. I used to watch WKRP In Cincinnati reruns with my father.

14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Love that! It even has Tawny Kittaen I think.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Goodbye Frank. I know it's not the only thing you did but thank you for playing Herb Tarlek to perfection.

pocofan, Karnak, polchik and 4 others like this.
  16. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

This is indeed sad news. When I lived in Japan in the mid-late 80's they showed WKRP on TV there in stereo, one channel in English and the other dubbed in Japanese. I remember watching it one night with a couple of guys who were salesmen (for Sony IIRC) and they couldn't understand why there was canned laughter at everything Herb said. RIP.

IMMusicRulz and longdist01 like this.
  17. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Ah, crap. Herb Tarlek was a great character. Loved that obtuse/addle-minded argument he had with Les. :laugh:

Rest in peace, Mr. Bonner.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  18. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Yes she’s in the New WKRP series. Herb is funny showing up in the window and first!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The episode where the TV documentary crew goes to Herb's house is hilarious and pretty innovative for network TV at the time. I remember my mother crying with laughter.

EDIT: Here 'tis:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Such a classic guy. He was so great. RIP.

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  21. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I always loved that part of the episode when Lucille is trying to explain Little House on the Prairie:

Elaine: ARE YOU CAREFUL WHAT YOU ALLOW THE CHILDREN TO WATCH?

YES, INDEED, WE ARE.

Elaine: FOR INSTANCE?

WELL, WE ONLY ALLOW THEM TO WATCH WHOLESOME, FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT.

Elaine: LIKE WHAT?

UH, WELL, "THE LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE.” NOW THAT'S A FINE, WHOLESOME SHOW. IT'S ABOUT BLIND CHILDREN OUT WEST, AND EVERY WEEK THEY HAVE A FIRE, OR SOMEONE GETS AN INCURABLE DISEASE. WE ENJOY IT VERY MUCH.

bekayne, ssmith3046, Lion254 and 4 others like this.
  22. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Canadian band The Rheostatics had a song out in 2004 with Bonner's participation. RIP

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

R.I.P. Frank...

24. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Real Families is my favorite episode, but one of my favorite scenes is when Herb invents a phony job offer at a TV station to try to get a raise. There's a great heartfelt scene with him and Venus that you don't see in sitcoms anymore. He should've gotten an Emmy for that.

Lion254 and twicks like this.
  25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Still one of my all-time favorite shows. RIP, and loving thoughts to his loved ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.