RIP Joe Flaherty, 1941-2024*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredV, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Jackass

2. Reckoning

Reckoning Forum Resident

Very sad news. SCTV is some of the best comedy I've ever seen, and he was such an integral part. The chemistry Flaherty and Levy had in the Floyd & Earl newscasts was something special.

3. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

*loved* SCTV. We're lucky enough to get CBC over the air where we lived, and would watch re-runs religiously. I remember a bit where, as Guy Caballero, he was giving a heartfelt soliloquy for a fundraiser (for himself) then stood up from the wheelchair and continued. He considered his wheelchair a fashion accessory. What a genius comedian.

Oh yeah, and Count Floyd.

Amnion, Vidiot, Adam9 and 2 others like this.
  4. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I'm very upset. SCTV is probably my all-time favorite show and Joe has long been one of my idols. He was simply brilliant, like everyone else on SCTV. I'm going to miss him.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i thought it was more that he was connecting with the part and was trying to play it all weird and so they decided he wasn't a fit

6. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Heaven just got a little neater. BTW, speaking of the 5 Neat Guys, I only recently noticed that Joe Flaherty's Neat Guy always seems a little out of sync and very slightly wobbly. Is his character supposed to be drunk?

7. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I was always hoping Joe would get that second career, like Eugene Levy did.
    He made every role memorable.

Rest in Peace, Count Floyd

8. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

It was a mutual decision. Candy said he'd like to play it with a German accent and carry around German Shepherds. Ivan Reitman said he didn't want that. It always sounded to me like Candy could've gotten the role if he agreed to play it how Reitman wanted, but Candy said he didn't want to do it that way, so Reitman said he'd find someone else. For all intents and purposes, if you're offered something, and you make a demand that isn't met, I consider that you declining the offer, not the other way around. Candy had a clean offer, but he put conditions on it.

9. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

At one of those fundraisers, Guy also threatened viewers with wall-to-wall coverage of -soccer- if they didn't give SCTV some coin. Loved that:laugh::laugh:.

Amnion, bekayne, jbmcb and 3 others like this.
  10. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

What a priceless Dave Thomas interview. How that must suck to be talking about your friend and creative partner in such a way. Today I found out that Chris Cross of Ultravox had died and now this! It's almost too many heroes in one day for me. Ultravox became my favorite band in 1980 and SCTV is always my favorite TV show. Sigh.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Martin Short has some nice things to say about his friend, the late Joe Flaherty:

12. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

Thank you, Joe Flaherty!

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

He had a recurring role as a priest in ' The King of Queens' but his talent was wasted there.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

His bits as Guy Caballero, the SCTV station manager, were classic...

[​IMG]

15. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It would appear to be the case.

16. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

"There was a girl in our school had pre-marital sex. Know what she did on Graduation Day? DIED!"

17. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Woah, that just blew my mind. I was like, wait, what? Then I looked it up. I never realized that Moranis played that one-scene character. Granted, I can count on one hand the films/shows where I have seen Moranis (I never watched SCTV), but his voice is pretty distinct. That somehow flew past me.

JediJones and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. DakotaLard

DakotaLard Well-Known Member

Karnak and mr. steak like this.
  19. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

That's how I always think of him, Count Floyd, thanks Joe.

Pete Puma and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

the influential Pittsburgh band Don Caballero are named after this Flaherty character, and their debut album is called For Respect after this very bit.

fantastic comedian.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  21. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I've also noted in other places how much - from my perspective, anyway - the 5 Neat Guys was as much a spoof of the inane and often borderline offensive novelties Columbia's powerful A&R chief Mitch Miller foisted on his acts, especially in the '50's, as they were of pre-rock 'n' roll vocal groups in general, and Canada's own Four Lads in particular (I thought Mr. Candy looked more like the heavier member of that group - Bernie Toorish - seen in center right; the one at bottom center - Frank Busseri - looked almost like Rick Moranis, it's stretching it a bit for the one on top - probably Jimmy Arnold - to resemble Eugene Levy - Dave Thomas may well have played the one at left).
    [​IMG]
    Or in this pic:
    [​IMG]
    the one at bottom (Connie Codarini?) may have some resemblance to Mr. Flaherty.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    Pete Puma and mr. steak like this.
  22. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Oh, I'm sure that's exactly what they were parodying. If you listen to 10 seconds of anything Mitch Miller was responsible for, you'll hear it instantly. My grandparents loved Mitch Miller and would cite him as a champion of "nice" music. There was a lot of overlap with Lawrence Welk too.

23. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

He was the glue of that cast and could play just about any type of character ranging from Guy Caballero to Toulouse Lautrec:

Boom Operator and Oatsdad like this.
  24. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

May Joe Flaherty rest in peace :cry:

My all-time favorites with him

SCTV (1976-1984)
    Used Cars (1980)
    Back to the Future Part II (1989)
    Happy Gilmore (1996)

:cool:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    Vidiot, JediJones and Matthew Tate like this.