RIP Metal Church Singer, Mike Howe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Jul 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

XI was really an unexpected great return to form. This is really sad news RIP. I bought Blessing In Disguise & The Human Factor on vinyl the years they were released.

KristianS and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

As much as I loved the first two Metal Church records with Wayne in vocals, when Blessing in Disguise was released it set a higher bar, heavier than the first two while still maintaining the trash vibe, Mike’s vocals were so great, such a powerful singer. One of my favorite times seeing them was an off date on the Operation Rock and Roll tour on a bill with Motörhead at Bogarts in Cincinnati. Both bands brought it and the crowd was great.

RIP Mike, thank you for the music and the memories

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

The band released a statement today saying he was 'victimized by a failing health care system and subsequently poisoned by the venom of big-pharma.'

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Asphyxia, due to hanging, according to a story posted on Blabbermouth, was the cause of death.

Very sad.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Very sad indeed. RIP Mike.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

RIP

I have the first 3 Metal Church albums, but I need to get some more at some point.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

me too. i had them on cassette. i see though the first 3 are on some cd set but i see some complaints that some people got the sets and 2 cd's had the same music. wonder if this is common or they fixed it?

8. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Of all the musicians we lost in July, this one hits me the hardest....Especially knowing it was self-inflicted.

9. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

from the Wiki:

*** Metal Church founder Kurdt Vanderhoof reported in 1998 that Howe had retired and was living in Tennessee with his family. Outside music, he had a full-time job in carpentry and was a father to two sons born in 1997 and 2002, respectively.

On April 30, 2015, Metal Church announced that Howe had rejoined the band,[7] and he appeared on two more albums with them – XI (2016) and Damned If You Do (2018), as well as their 2017 live album Classic Live and the 2020 compilation album From The Vault.

On July 26, 2021, Metal Church announced via the band's Facebook page Howe died that morning at his home in Eureka, California, at the age of 55.The cause of death was ruled asphyxiation due to suicide by hanging. At the time of his suicide, Metal Church was in the process of working on a new album that they had planned to release in 2022.[10] He is the second singer of Metal Church to have died, following David Wayne in May 2005. ***

has anyone heard the 2016 and 2018 Metal Church albums?

Loved The Human Factor back in the day.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Yes, and they're both quite good. I give the edge to XI from 2016, but Damned If You Do (2018) has some good stuff on it, as does the From the Vault odds-and-ends release from 2020

Matthew Tate and ian christopher like this.
  11. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

"By the Numbers" may be their best song.

craigobau, Matthew Tate and KristianS like this.
  12. KristianS

KristianS Forum Resident

Love the song and never saw the video before. Super cool.

'05Train and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.