RIP Nancy Wilson - Grammy winning jazz singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by npc145, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

2. npc145

npc145 music junkie Thread Starter

Absolutely killer version of Ode To Billy Joe

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Heard this on NPR this morning. Didn’t know she once hosted a jazz program for them for a few years.

RIP

Mark

ando here and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Every thread becomes a Beatles thread. LOL! She does a decent take on this but this pales in comparison to her straight Jazz tunes.

Ed

5. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

One of the great unsung vocalists in my book, huge fan, really sad to hear this.

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Oh, man. Just started a duplicate thread. Sad.

7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I loved when Nancy leaned more towards a soul/R&B sound like this!

8. Artur Torres

Artur Torres New Improved Full Dimensional Stereo

What an unfortunate event. But Nancy was facing serious health problems. And there it was a great artist, who was a great singer and a very elegant woman. May she rest in peace.

I would like to share here some of the albums that Nancy Wilson recorded, which I like very much:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ando here, SITKOL'76, zebop and 3 others like this.
  9. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

RIP - she always came across as a classy lady.

ando here likes this.
  10. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I didn't follow her career, though I know how highly respected she was, and I've always liked "How Glad I Am."

Often with artists that fall into this category, it's a lesser-known song that sticks with me. I remember this one getting a smattering of radio airplay in 1974. I had to stop and think for a moment, but then the title came to me.

R.I.P.

11. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I like her rendition of „Lush Life“ very much. I think she really nailed that tune, unlike Sinatra who somehow didn‘t. R.I.P.

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I’m proud to say that the Manchester Craftsmen's Guild in my hometown of Pittsburgh, PA was responsible for her winning two late-in-life Grammys!

Fortysomething and fenderesq like this.
  13. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

RIP, a great singer. I have most of her Capitol recordings and still listen to them.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

16. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

She had a very elegant style and could sing great with a band. Some of her live recordings from the Sands were great. I also remember her in the episode Trouble In Mind from the original Hawaii Five-O with Harry Guardino. Rest In Peace Nancy.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Very sorry to hear this. She made several fine albums, especially the one with Cannonball Adderley.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A sad loss! R.I.P. Nancy Wilson. You made the world sound great. Of her albums, "A Touch Of Today", "Today-My Way", and "Gentle Is My Love" are especially favorites of mine.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I grew up on her music. Her talent with be sorely missed.

R.I.P., Nancy. Give 'em hell with that voice in that next realm!

zebop likes this.
  20. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Agree 100%.

She was such a consistently good singer that ultimately one's favourite Wilson records are going to be determined more by the producer than by her.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Talking about her albums, what are the best sounding ones? I know some were mastered by Ron McMaster, but I have no idea if Bob Norberg also mastered some (his work is not my cup of tea).

22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Most (all?) of her Columbias are on SACD, but they're my least favourite albums of hers.

23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sometimes late career albums are disappointing to me, as when very modern production and arrangements don't suit the artist.

But I consider this 2006 recording of Nancy Wilson's, TURNED TO BLUE, a great exception to that syndrome. It's got great songs, and great arangements and her voice seems stronger than when she was much younger.

https://www.amazon.ca/Turned-Blue-N...6&sr=1-1&keywords=nancy+wilson+turned+to+blue

24. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Turned to Blue

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Funny how tastes differ - I don't care for that Soul/R&B sound, in my opinion she was better when she adopted a more jazzy sound. Pity some of her albums are so uneven - again, in my opinion; too many pop songs for my taste. Her more jazzy albums are excellent, though.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    ando here likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.