RIP Norm Macdonald

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Sep 14, 2021.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I can't find it on youtube because it belongs to Netlflix. He did a joke when he was interviewing David Letterman on "Norm Has A Show" I can't remember it but it was the highlight of the segment. Letterman did his trademark laugh when something is really funny. It was something about dealing with their kids. If anyone remembers and can refresh me, I would appreciate it.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Read through every page of this thread enjoying the comments and YT clips. The guys was absolutely fearless and totally unfiltered. Such a rare thing to witness in this time of PC nonsense and cancel culture. Such a lone brilliantly funny voice from a wilderness of scared voices.

5. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

This is one of my favorite Norm clips..."She was a hookah!"

6. George P

George P Notable Member

7. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Beautiful tribute!

longdist01 and George P like this.
  8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Norm was on a whole other level. You could tell there was a deep thinker behind his bits, even as he liked to do many of them acting like he was stumbling through the thing.

I can't remember if it was David Spade or Dana Carvey, but one of them said that there was no comedian better at getting a room absolutely worked up into a frenzy than Norm. He knew how to push the audience's buttons.

Finding out that he'd been battling cancer for so long privately makes watching him on clips now seem bittersweet. He didn't want his health issues to influence the audience.

Saintbert, Borgia and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. jwoverho

"I want to work with a little person and teach them to become an eating competition champion. I want to call them Gnome Chompsky."

ex_mixer, kouzie and JediJones like this.
  10. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Laughed at “So I’ll just end with what Norm felt was the perfect joke. He told it on “Weekend Update.” The setup and the punchline are nearly identical.

“Julia Roberts told reporters this week that her marriage to Lyle Lovett has been over for some time. The key moment, she said, came when she realized that she was Julia Roberts and that he was Lyle Lovett

11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

I remember that one from the '90s. Don't think I've even thought about Lyle Lovett since then. :laugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Brilliant dude. A true comedian. Barely controllable laughing many times. Great respect for him. We need more like him. RIP.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

14. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Haha, this is a crazy eulogy the internet is having for him. Just imagine if he had done what people only seem to do in the movies, record a video of themselves to be aired only after they die, and commented on his own death. The above would be the perfect opening line for it. That could've broken the internet.

thgord likes this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

In case some of you aren't aware, Cameo is a website service that allows people to pay celebrities to create personalized messages. They can be for congratulations or birthdays, special occasions, etc. Norm was on it and last I checked, it cost $600 to get a personalized msg from him through that service. One I remember seeing was even addressed to an audiophile in which he made a few jokes about that.

Here's a YouTube search listing that displays a few of those messages if anyone wants under-the-radar Norm content.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=norm+cameo

17. moops

moops Senior Member

Me too ....... I just makes me laugh, I love Jerry's reaction just as much too.
    And there's probably funnier things of Norm's but for some reason this just makes me laugh, always.

I must have watched it 100 times.

badfinger54, longdist01 and Borgia like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

May 1997 on Conan O'Brien

White House Correspondent's dinner,
    and meeting Larry Flynt

19. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Andy Richter once remarked to Conan after an epic Norm appearance, That Guy Doesn't Care In A Way That Fightens Me, meaning he had a seeming indifference to what the audience thought, he was going to do what he was going to do, networks, studios, agents, publicists be damned. Conan's remembrance podcast here:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  20. jwoverho

Norm on THE VIEW 1999:

Norm was a master of winding up the audience and the hosts no matter the setting.

Q: "You admitted that you're lazy and only read about six books in your life, what kind of a woman would be attracted to you do you think?"
    A: "Well, I have a lot of money"

21. jwoverho

THE VIEW 11/16/2000

He trolls everyone with his Clinton bits:

The hosts are telling him to shut up, that he's annoying, insinuating that he's drunk, and that his career is over. I'm sure he was having a blast!

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

One of my favorite appearances.

They didn't censor "crackwhore" in this one. Just checked the other appearance and "crackwhore" is still censored. No idea why it'd ever be censored in the first place in the other appearance anyway.

23. jwoverho

Classic Norm- He's talking to Tom Green about meeting George Bush on the campaign trail and says that he (Norm) doesn't know anything about politics.

At around the 11:50 mark, he mentions the women on THE VIEW putting up a picture of Bush and Norm together from their meeting and wanting to know "What's going on here??" Then the guy who "doesn't know anything about politics" proceeds to allude to former President of Austria Kurt Waldheim, who was once seen in a picture from WWII with Adolph Hitler (Waldheim was controversial from his activities as an intelligence agent in the Nazi Wehrmacht during WWII).

Norm was often the smartest guy in the room but played the bumbling, forgetful persona perfectly: the Columbo of comedy.

24. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

25. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

That time Norm didn’t come out on Larry King.

longdist01 and Jazzmonkie like this.