RIP Norm Macdonald

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Sep 14, 2021.

1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Thank you a million times! I've been looking for this for years!

thgord, MikaelaArsenault and Chip TRG like this.
  2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Whoever bet on the longshot of Artie outliving Norm is a millionaire today. :(

3. You just lost a buck.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

A reference to the Canadian Screen Awards? Uh, I mean Candys? :D

5. Strat-Mangler

Man, are those high-pitched squeals from the girls in the audience annoying!

6. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I've been corrected twice so far (three times now). His birthday was listed as 1963 in a number of places (including Wikipedia) before his death. The actual date seems to be 1959.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I was trying to think of something to say. Your post means I didn't have to. You nailed it.

RIP Norm.

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Rewatching the last appearance on Letterman, and from what I'm reading it sort of falls around the same place on the calendar where Norm may have been diagnosed.....one has to wonder how much his emotions with Dave were perhaps mixed with the cancer news.

I *always* watched Norm clips for some laughs......but now they def. take on a lot more meaning.

9. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Two of my favorite comedians died too early.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

11. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

Thank you, Norm Macdonald!

12. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

Truly one of the funniest. Norm Macdonald has a show on Netflix, episode 1 with David Spade. "Going to a break", having Spade tell an elaborately detailed story on being cat fished, then returning from "break" and asking him to retell it. I have watched those few minutes countless times, and I still laugh.

905, hi_watt and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Norm in The Fairly OddParents:

hi_watt and longdist01 like this.
  14. ymizike

ymizike Forum Resident

In the clip of his March 2020 stand-up set (on pg. 2 of this thread) he says he's 68!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Well that sucks. I grew up in Ottawa and had a friend who tried to break into standup around the same time as Norm. As a result I caught Norm's act a few times during his very early years. Back then he was basically a Seinfeld clone (like just about everybody else) - observational humour and no swearing. It was very obvious that he was a step or three ahead of the rest of the pack. He came to town a few years ago and his performance was awesome. At one point he told staff to stop blinking the red light (that means your time is up) because he wasn't done yet and then gave us another half hour. Class act, funny, funny guy.

16. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

First RIP thread I have ever laughed at… just seeing some of the quotes and watching some of the clips. Couldn’t help myself.

Know what I mean?

Goodnight, funny man. RIP.

17. wasp

wasp Active Member

Tragic. Far too young.

I loved everything Norm did. Hilarious guy.

I'm gonna have to fill in the gaps of things I haven't already seen and listened to over the next couple of weeks.

18. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Now I’m no doctor, but I’m pretty sure that if you die, the cancer also dies at the same time. So to me, that’s not a loss, that’s a draw.

Norm MacDonald

905, hi_watt, woody and 6 others like this.
  19. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

If The Orville ever comes back, it won't quite as good without him... :cry: Bye Norm....

MikaelaArsenault and hi_watt like this.
  20. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

My all-time favorite comedian.
    R.I.P. Norm

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I always loved Norm’s work but after seeing the outpouring in the press (including a full page story in the local paper this morning) I didn’t realize he was quite so highly regarded.
    I’m so glad he was appreciated

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

"In cliff diving, there's just two levels. Grand champion or stuff on a rock."

thgord, Crimson Witch, Jrr and 6 others like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Norm and Conan. Comedy. Gold.

24. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Apparently, according to Seth McFarlane, Norm finished his work on Season 3 before he passed.

25. Strat-Mangler

I remember listening to a bootleg show of his where he was doing material about teachers having a cushy job. One audience member was heckling him being genuinely upset. She was a teacher. He put her in her place so many times, it was nuts... and all with his slow gentle way, too.

The highlight was that he asked her which grade she taught. She replied "5th". Norm shot back "So you only need a 6th-grade education, then!"

:laughup: