RIP "Vangelis" Papathanassíou, 1943 - 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. Siegal, May 19, 2022.

1. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

This is just awful.

I am putting on Beaubourg now.

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Oh, wow...how sad!

Thanks for the great, great music, Vangelis.

Memories of Green all cued up...

supernaut, Fred1 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Rest in Peace.

Fred1 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Αἰωνία ἡ μνήμη
    (May his memory be eternal)

Jcashfan and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yet another gut punch. We recently lost Klaus Schulze, and now this. I came to Vangelis' music in 1976. I came across a single at an outdoor market, it was Alpha/Pulstar. Hearing that was revelatory. I bought the album soon after, and Albedo 0.39 became part of my history. Since then I've bought it several times, always striving to hear that sound once again. It remains my favorite Vangelis album.

He'll always be known for Chariots of Fire, and a lot of musicians would love to have something so universally loved. But for me, it's the least of what he did. The theme from Chariots first appeared on the excellent Opera Sauvage in a slightly different performance, it didn't feel "new' to me. Since then I've fallen in love with several albums. See You Later is something I play to this day (it includes the original version of a track used later for Bladerunner). His album The City is simply incredible. The aforementioned Opera Sauvage is nothing short of essential. Heck, his more experimental works such as Beauborg and Invisible Connections are fine releases.

I've seen mention of Aphrodites Child and the album, 666. This gave us a different view of Vangelis. I'll give a special mention to two releases: Hypothesis and The Dragon. The former is a jazz album with the great Tony Oxley on drums! The latter is a psychedelic journey. Vangelis was never happy about these two, but they're a real change of pace and show that there were many more strings to his bow.

And all of this misses classics such as Heaven and Hell, Mask, Soil Festivities, and so on. Vangelis recorded an absolute avalanche of classic albums. His music will be with me, and part of me, till the day it's my turn to take the train off this planet. Thanks for the wonderful talent, Vangelis!

skisdlimit, ledsox, ArpMoog and 10 others like this.
  6. Linky53

Linky53 Forum Resident

Really sad news. A wonderfully talented composer and musician.
    First heard him with the Heaven and Hell album which still remains my favourite Vangelis album amongst the many I now own.
    RIP.

Fred1 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. innuendo141

innuendo141 I want to pet your dog.

Very sad to hear this. Seeing Blade Runner didn't move me originally, as it was too far removed from the book for my liking. But the music pierced me, it was ripped straight from the pages of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. In years since, I've been able to divorce the movie from the book and it became one of my all time favourite films, and the soundtrack has a massive part in that. It's one of those rare albums that "speaks" to you.

There is a live performance of the score from the film in Dublin on Sunday, which I am delighted to have had tickets for since 2019. This will be a very very special and emotional event so see this gorgeous score performed live as we watch the film so soon after his passing.

I feel lucky that he shared his gifts with us.

RIP

8. Magic

Magic I'm just this guy, ya know?

Sad day indeed...R.I.P.

9. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

some amazing works over the years, first learned about him when Anderson did vox on 'So Long Ago So Clear' and followed his output from there.
    In an area where music isn't normally heard (sorry no footage available to link up, but I have it on VHS)
    in 1984 at a Shotokan Karate Tournament, an amazing Kata was performed using music (never seen this done before or since) but as best I can do is watch this
    turn sound off

whilst listening to this https://youtu.be/PXVUBW3XGpo?t=107

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. Mr. Pither of Cornwall

Mr. Pither of Cornwall Forum Resident

Here's the Creation du Monde intro to the Tales portion of Yes' set back in 1974

11. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

An innovator and a musical genius.

RIP

12. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Man. The world has lost so many talented people in the last year.

RIP

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

L' Enfant

MikaelaArsenault and saturdayboy like this.
  14. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Soil Festivities (movement 1)

MikaelaArsenault and sturoc like this.
  15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Life of Antarctica

16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Edgar, Klaus, Vangelis ... all gone :cry:

R.I.P. to the great composer with a unique sound.

My first memory was Chariots Of Fire, then Cosmos, then the Jon & Vangelis albums. Of the solo albums I think I have probably played either Soil Festivities or Spiral the most. All will be played today.

--Geoff

reapers likes this.
  17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Pulstar

MikaelaArsenault and sturoc like this.
  18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Chariots of Fire

ARK likes this.
  19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Blade Runner (end titles)

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wonder, how many times he had reconsidered the best way to present his soundtrack to Blade Runner. Like the film itself, so many alternative soundtrack collections exist - a few very desirable ones that are not, to put it politely, "legitimate". There is of course, an Audio Fidelity version of the official release, done by Kevin Gray.

When a man's life work is ongoing and some projects unrealized and others with more material yet to offer...the unbalanced focus on just one soundtrack work seems a bit distracting, particularly decades after the fact. So I wonder, if he was glad he got the best of it out, or if there will be more attempts to reassess the work in a broader scope down the road.

Not that this is relevant to today's news, that he's "found his way home". So, I'll stick a pin in this, and just concentrate on the blessings we've been given, for the time he jacked-in with us.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  22. moops

moops Senior Member

That was great ...... thank you. :wave:

SteevG, MikaelaArsenault and Jcashfan like this.
  23. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

I've always loved his work, ever since I was a kid and borrowed the cassette of the Chariots Of Fire soundtrack from my local library - the 20-minute suite on side 2 is so beautiful, it feels like time stands still while it's playing. Shortly thereafter his music for Blade Runner was officially released for the first time, and still to this day it's probably my favourite film score of all time. And only about a decade ago I finally heard 666 by Aphrodite's Child, which absolutely blew my mind away - it was like Greek Pink Floyd, or something. Like nothing I'd heard from him before.

Even now, just a month ago, I picked up a stack of Vangelis vinyl from my local record store's $1 bin - Heaven And Hell, Mask, Spiral, Short Stories and See You Later. His music has definitely been a big part of my life and there's still so much of it I haven't heard. He's gone but he's left us with a lifetime of sounds to be treasured. Vale Vangelis, the king of the synthesizers.

Aphrodite's Child circa 1968, L-R: Vangelis, Demis Roussos, Loukas Sideras.

[​IMG]

24. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

:agree:

I want to give likes to every single post in this thread.

EG.

25. Sex Power is my favorite work that Vangelis has ever done. The Blader Runner soundtrack is my next favorite. He was truly inspired and so much more than the Chariots of Fire theme.