Ripping Vinyl To Laptop Computer, What Is Really The Best Way??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Good question Litejazz! I am also thinking already for while of how and when to best digitize my record collection. I am hesitating, though, because it looks like that developments are still ongoing.

For example, with a SugarCube (ADC-> DSP with option to USB or back via DAC and to phono -pre) you can digitize and even remove clicks and pops on the fly. There is also version in the pipeline that includes a phono stage. This keeps all these options in one small box. Puffin has recently also done something similar.

I like this and I might go for it once it is a bit more tested and proven. However there is still a laptop required. This means cables, Windows or Apple possibly interfering with bit rates. Ideally, I would like to have this functionality all in one box, like an integrated amp with a (removable) hard disks, DSP, Phono pre and CD player so that I can also store my CD collection on the amp. Then you can just play anything on your stereo without connecting lap tops, etc. Obviously you can still download from the hazard disk via USB to any disc, lap top or stick.

There are already (pre-)amps that have insertable hard-disks (storing up 10000+ CD’s), a CD player and streamer. There are also amps (eg the new NAD M33) that digitize any incoming signal, eg from your TT prior to amplification just for room correction on speakers or adding filters, etc.

Question is when will there be the first amps that combine all this functionality? I am still waiting a bit for the time being.

Litejazz53 and Old Zorki II like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Yep, while I prefer compact disc- probably over 90% of what I do can't be found either in a good mastering or at all in digital.
    @Litejazz53 You don't want to use XLR with the 2i2, the gain is not adjustable. You'll want to use the TS->RCA as Apesbrain linked if you go this route, good luck! :)
    [​IMG]

anorak2 likes this.
  3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

So there will be a few things that determine the quality of the transfer.

1. The quality of the source - obviously it pays to have the record dust-free and playback as high quality as possible. Dust is the killer, if dust gathers on the stylus during playback the quality gets steadily worse. The phono pre-amp counts for a lot too. Maybe there is one built into the turntable. Some turntables have a USB output ready to go, but the quality may not be the best.

2. The ADC. You probably want to record at 24/96. You can use whatever is in your Windows 10 PC but personally I prefer to use a separate device - given the time and effort involved in doing this, it is not a great expense. I have an Olympus recorder which gives me good results. You need one that supports lossless 24/96 recording. Or you can use the PC, you could get a USB analog to digital converter like this one:

https://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/jil-analog-to-digital-converter.html

(I have not used it, it's just an example).

Again, the last thing you want it to take a lot of trouble and end up with inferior results.

3. Click repair and so on. Personally I tend not to bother unless there is some really bad scratch. It's like any other automated processing, you hope it will make it better but it may also damage the sound.

Once it is imported you will have one great big WAV or FLAC for each side of the record. You will need to split it into tracks. Audacity is fine for this, and free. Then export as FLAC or other lossless format of your choice, and tag it appropriately, I like the dbPowerAmp tools for this.

It is a lot of work to get this right, but you can get superb results.

On the other hand, if you just want to rip the music, and there is a CD or download to buy, it's probably better just to buy it, UNLESS there is something special about the LP, better sound for example.

Tim

c-eling likes this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would agree. Digitizing a record make sense for things like alternate mixes, mono mixes, albums never released digitally or on CD, albums that have never been done on CD or digitally correctly (e.g. lost master tapes), etc.

But for very common stuff, and let's face it, most members here have very common tastes, digitizing records is a waste of time.

anorak2, Coypu, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
  5. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

In theory Sugarcube SC-2 is the most perfect device for ripping, and (all quirks fixed) will do all work (recording, click and pop removal, track splitting, etc) for you, all in 24/192 domain. I may buy SC-2 mini one day, for example if lose my mind (or savings) and decide to sell my vinyl collection )), digitizing it prior.
    The problems are costs (I will need to trade in my SC-1) and total lack of fun fiddling with your TT, arms, carts, cabling, pre, cleaning liquids, etc.
    If I digitized my records for example 3 years ago it will be all but useless for me now as my analog system is so much better.

LakeMountain likes this.
  6. c-eling

For albums OT, it has to be pretty bad for me to try a LP mastering :laugh: However for favorite's (collection reasons) I've come across some really good one's I enjoy on the format over the years.
    Actually just recently I tracked down Schilling's 120 Grad LP, the old German cd mastering isn't that great (quite surprised actually) so I'm going to give this one a shot.
    One thing's for certain. It doesn't help the wallet having obscure tastes in music :sigh:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    anorak2 and patient_ot like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use a Tascam DR-07 SD card flash recorder which is connected to my main system in the tape jacks. Use rechargeable AA batteries. I use MicroSD cards with adapters, I can also play my files on my phone straight from the MicroSD card. Much more convenient than an audio interface and laptop, my old Tascam supports up to 24/48 (newer ones can do at least 24/96). Better than all but the high end interfaces in terms of sonics. And I can mount the card in a card reader if editing or post processing necessary in my laptop.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    SteelyNJ likes this.
  8. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Sorry, I've only done this using the Pre-Amp Out via unbalanced RCA -> TS. Never felt it needed improvement.

9. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Lake Mountain. I own the SC-2 Mini which I bought for the click & pop removal function. The SC-2 Mini also has the ability to digitize the files. I originally planned on digitizing my older used records so I could play them once on the turntable and from that point on I would listen to the the digital files. The rest of the time I would bypass the Sugar Cube.

The SC-2 experience has been transformative. I gave up LP's for CDs in 1985 because I hated clicks and pops that much. The Sugar Cube is transparent to my ears. Suddenly I was using it all of the time for new high quality pressings and other new pressings. I became used to silence while listening to LPs. Digitizing music on the SC-2 is about as easy as it gets. The digitizing takes place on the SC-2 Mini. You then export the files to your laptop, NAS, thumb drive etc. So the computer equipment has no impact on the digitizing process. The digitizing process is so easy I am going to digitize about 1500 LPs. This will allow me to bring them on the road with me.

I got my SC-2 in April and there were some bugs in the initial couple of firmware releases, but these have been solved and the experience has been amazing. This is the best money I have spent on LP playback.

LakeMountain likes this.
  10. Sullygr2221

Sullygr2221 Well-Known Member

That’s good! Like I said, I record at 24/192. I break down the files into AIF and upload them to my ROON Rock and stream them to my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ at full resolution.

BTW, Vinyl Studio will find the album, track names, and artwork which help in separating the songs. As far as the UH-7000 working on Windows 10, I can’t answer that question but it should. As others said it is no longer made.

Gerald

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I would let people make their own decisions about what they choose do do.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This thread is about opinions, so I gave my 2 cents. If you think I actually have any control over what anyone actually does you are truly delusional.

Sullygr2221 likes this.
  13. Grant

Well, digitizing music already available commercially is a matter of preference. Some people will not tolerate modern mastering with loads of compression/limiting added to make it louder, yet they still want a digital format because they don't want to spin a record at home.

Sure, you have an opinion, and I have mine, but the way you worded yours made it seem like you were telling everybody how it should be.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The idea that a common bog standard classic rock album, or common jazz album, or anything common on here is only available in a "modern mastering" that's full of clipping, compression, etc. is a fallacy. Most of this common stuff has been pressed up a truckload of times and finding a good copy is inexpensive and not that difficult.

I've listened to loads of needledrops, many made with tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, and to date there are very few I would prefer over a good commercially released CD or digital version, or spinning my own copy of the vinyl at home. That is the basis of my opinion.

If your opinion is different, you are entitled to it. You can do whatever you want, just as OP can do whatever they want. If you're bothered by opinions that are different than your own, that's your problem.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Understandable. I know you collect a lot of 12'' mixes that are vinyl only releases.

FrankieP and c-eling like this.
  16. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Count me as one who took the PC out of the recording process. In my experience, Windows updates are becoming more and more of an issue with drivers and USB headaches that some manufacturers of audio interfaces are struggling with. That's why I went to a stand-alone recorder - a Tascam DA-3000.

Turntable > phono preamp > Tascam

The computer only comes into play after the rip is captured. I use ClickRepair and Izotope RX 6 for all post processing

Get a good vinyl cleaning process you like and can rely on prior to making your rips - it will help to make your clean-up a lot easier and less time consuming.

missan likes this.
  17. Grant

You must be blessed with a special ability to find anything you want.

Needledrops come in all types of quality, too. Some needledroppers can't even be bothered to even clean up the noise. They may use expensive turntables, but never seem to notice that they are off-pitch. And, the fact that the cart. stylus, and preamp all influence the final sound.

I don't have a problem except when people frame their posts as the absolute truth.

BrilliantBob likes this.
  18. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

This pretty much sums of my main reason for ripping vinyl. But I also have a lot of albums I have collected over the years - it just makes sense to convert them to a digital format as many are mastered well by some of the best engineers to work in the industry.

Is it time consuming? Yes, but so is mowing my yard. At least I enjoy listening to music...so cleaning up my rips does not seem like work to me.

Ere, MarkO and Grant like this.
  19. Grant

It's all just another mini war: the technically oriented vs. non-technically oriented.

20. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

It is just a piece of advide saving them from potential disappointment.

The other day an elderly gentleman with a stack of old LPs some of which are not on CD, told me if I could give him advice on those new fangled 99 euros USB turntables so he could digitise his old music. I told him to not even bother, because of the low quality of that hardware, and because given he has no experience the results will likely leave to be desired. I ended up offering to digitise some of his LPs in my own time with my equipment which is decent enough, and I know what I'm doing. I don't regret my offer, but it is a lot of work.

Rodant Kapoor likes this.
  21. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I think it's those whose free time is scarce vs those who have plenty of spare time to waste.

22. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

There is a version of "Shellshock" on "Substance", but probably not this one?

c-eling likes this.
  23. c-eling

Substance uses a 6:20 edit. Dub US/Shellcock UK was never issued on digital :sigh:

FrankieP and anorak2 like this.
  24. Grant

People don't need to be "saved" over a subjective opinion. The gear and skill level are one thing, but to say that no one needs to do it if there is already a digital source available is wrong. Many of us can do a better job from records or tapes than what the record labels release.

Actually, I would have told him the same thing about the turntable. But, to do a proper job, it is a lot of work. It isn't always just a matter of dubbing a record like we did in the tape days. With digital, we can be very precise.

anorak2 likes this.
  25. Grant

Maybe not even that. A person who wants to do it bad enough can find the time, even if they have to do it a little at a time. You don't have to do the whole project in one sitting. Record the vinyl to digital. Wait for a good time to, say, declick it, save the work, come back later and do some more. Keep going like this until it's done. I have taken over a half a year to do a single album because I did it piecemeal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.