RL Cut Led Zeppelin II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pope_ttb_xxx

pope_ttb_xxx New Member

Thanks very much Blackie and W.B.

2. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Are all maroon label copies the RL cut?

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Mine has the SS next to the RL on both sides. It has the AT & LW intials 90 degrees off from the matrix as well.

What I am curious about - and maybe those who own Canadian pressed versions can vouch - is whether the RL cut was 'kept' up there. My Canadian copy is a later pressing - says at the bottom of the label: Manufactered and distributed by WEA Music of Canada, Ltd. A Warner...etc. and has the W/oval logo.

This is cut quieter than my 'RL' but the dynamics and db spread is very close - with a nod to the US 'RL.' In any event, this Canadian copy crushes all the post 'RL' US releases I have (al 1841 Broadway's and 75 Rockefellers) especially in the lower end - overall its the best mastering I've heard. The RL has a little more oomph in the low end, but the Canadian has smoother vocals at a better level in the mix.

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

When it comes to vinyl, you can't really trust labels. Too many factors to throw things off. The matrix code rules all. :D

5. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

If your Canadian copy is a bit lacking in the bass compared to the US RL copy but otherwise is smoother, then I would guess that your Canadian is a dub of the UK original plum/red, which is very similar to your description of your Canadian copy. Even those Led Zep II that were sold abroad has the RL etching if it were taken from his stamper/pressing. If your does not, it should not be a RL cut.

6. jmuesq

jmuesq Forum Resident

The RL Led Zep II is an occupant of the "elite" section of my record shelf. I'd been hunting for one for quite some time before securing mine. I finally found it at my local Goodwill of all places, tucked inside a badly beat up Bob Dylan "Highway 61 Revisited" lp jacket. It looked kinda rough but cleaned up well, and the occasional ticks, pops and crackles are a small price to pay for this glorious pressing.

BTW, is there a discography or listing somewhere of other must-have RL vinyl?

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

8. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

If you search this forum, you'll see a thread dealing with records mastered by Mr. Ludwig.

9. sungshinla

As an ardent fan of RL as I am, I would like to steer you away from one RL pressing -- Sting, Dream of Blue Turtles. I have three grades for records which tend to sound bright: bright, glaringly bright and digital bright. This one sounds digital bright to me. Perhaps, I need to play this record another fifty times or so to "warm" it up like new audio gear.

10. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident

Well is there a label that is more likely to have the RL mastering? I'm trying to narrow things down to make searching for the lp easier. I can't ask every ebay seller if RL is in the deadwax. :)

11. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Actually, when it comes to Led Zep II, you're gonna have to ask. I've only seen original 1969 US green/orange label Atlantic pressings with RL. I guess it could be possible that some Canadian pressings exist, but I've never seen one.

12. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I did just that two weeks ago. I asked all the sellers regarding the RL. I must have sent 10 e-mails and one responded with RL on both sides. I was the only bidder...the best $4.99 I've ever spent. It would be safe to say that 99.9% of eBay sellers who are unloading their early LZ vinyl have never heard of the RL stamp. It's well worth the effort and I wish you luck finding a quiet copy :righton:

13. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Just got an RL copy of this from ebay (about $20) and was blown away. Lots of surface noise, but OH that bass! Thanks once again to this forum for pointing me there. I'll be broke soon. :)

14. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Nice going Mike! Did you ask the seller before you bought it if it had RL in the deadwax?

15. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

I did ask, and was very coy when seller said yes and asked why. I just said it was a certain pressing that I didn't yet have--nothing dishonest, and I won the bidding fair and square. Now if I can clean it and get the vinyl nice and reasonably quiet I'll be super-happy.

BTW, I listened to side two of this last night on headphones and then tried to listen to a UK pressing of AC/DC High Voltage. High Voltage sounded so thin that I had to stop after side one!

16. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I have a Canadian red label Atlantic and it is not the RL cut.

17. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

19. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Thanks for the confirmation Keith! Looks like another week of sittin' around and waiting.

20. John

John Senior Member

I have to correct myself, my deadwax is about 1/4" or so on one side, and about an 1/8" on the other. I thought they were both around 1/8". Sorry about that!

21. sungshinla

Well, actually, it may be a "RL" or it may be a "LH" or something like that. The more common "RL" on only Side One has a much wider dead wax on Side Two but there are Side-One-only "RL's" with a narrow dead wax on Side Two. The good news, however, is that the narrow, non-RL, Side Two sounds a bit more dynamic than the wide, non-RL, Side Two.

I hope you receive the "RL" Side Two. Good luck to ya!

22. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I assumed he verified with the seller that this was an RL copy... if so, that's the nice Side 2. :thumbsup:

23. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Yes, I did. Nice guy, too. His lp is coming back home to Queens, NY after moving to CA thirty years ago (with the seller, of course).

24. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just saw an RL version of LED ZEP 2 for $2.99 at a used record store. It looked pretty beat up so I left it. Should I go back and get it next week?

25. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Absolutely yes, clean it, and clean it again. Even with ticks and pops its a revelation.

So this weekend is starting out great. I walk into a local CD/record shop I rarely go to - and there are two Led Zep II's in the original soft pastel color covers. I pull one out - holy sh** an RL - and super clean!! So I pull the next one out - OMG another RL, different pressing, and super clean as well! An $8.99 well spent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.