RL Cut Led Zeppelin II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

Care to part with one?:whistle:

2. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

:righton:

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

that is, like, INCREDIBLE, in the truest sense of the word! :righton:

4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Found mine two weeks ago for $1 at my twice yearly record grab at a local flea market. The sad thing is that I've still yet to hear it since I'm surrently between TT's right now. AGAGGG!HHHHH!!!! :realmad:

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I have a question for those with RL pressings or really any version of LZII.

I've heard various versions of the album, including Barry Diament's 80's CD mastering, the Marino/Page remaster, the 2003 overlimited version of the Marino/Page remaster and even a needledrop from a Classic Records re-issue. All of these sound overloaded to me, as if the original recording was way too hot. The highs are on the verge of sounding like a post 2000 remaster (meaning as subtle as a chainsaw) and the bass sounds just plain overloaded.

Do the RL pressings sound this way as well? It's been over 20 years since my Zeppelin collection was on vinyl, and I certainly didn't have much of a quality turntable (last one was a cheapy Technics Linear Tracking model), but I don't remember LZII sounding this bad. In my old "dub albums to TDK SA90s and listen to them in the car" days, LZII stood out in that it sounded fresh and alive.

6. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I am never going to find an 'RL' Zepp II. :sigh: :(

7. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Why, they are not that hard to find. Just contact every seller on eBay that has LZ II with serial number SD 8236. Ask them to send you all the codes listed in the deadwax on both sides. I have found 4 of them this way. There are more of these out there than you think. The tough part is finding one in great shape.

BTW, don't tell the seller about the RL in the deadwax, he will jack up the price. If he asks, just tell him there are multiple pressings and you wanted to know which one he had.

8. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I would not resign yourself, they are out there...got one last month in VG+ for $2 at a record show. 99% of people outside these forums don't know or care about 'RL'.

9. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Of course! A VG- copy will still be a revelation and I'm willing to bet that there will be more than one person on this forum willing to buy it if you don't want to keep it.

10. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

The serial number on this is SD 8336 (according to the seller'sdescription). I thought RL's were all SD 8236.

Is there a definitive description of an RL that someone can post with serial numer(s) and deadwax inscription and anything else that can hwlp track down these holy grails.

I have a Canadian SD 8236 without the RL. Is the RL easy to spot?

11. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The RL is pretty obvious - its etched right by the label.

BTW - the Canadian issues I've heard are no slouch.....while not quite 'RL' strength, they have a lot more oomph than the standard US pressing.

12. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

13. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I got my copy of Led Zep II, when I was 14, within a week after it had come out in October of 1969. I never heard an LP sound so good ! :goodie: The first time that I listened to that LP, (and for many times afterward....) I had the Koss headphones on. The Garrard turntable did not have --any-- troubles tracking the album. This was the first LZ album that I had ever listened to, and, after hearing WLL and Heartbreaker for the first time..... I was hooked, and still am....

Unfortunately, I do not have that original album, so I can't read the pressing notes. But the fact that I got it within a week of it's release should tell you...

14. peter

peter Senior Member

100% correct.

15. Runt

Runt Senior Member

After keeping an eye on this thread, I've been on the lookout for an RL pressing...and sure enough, I finally struck gold today. Cover (who crares?) is original mat finish, VG+ and vinyl is VG+ with light some very light surface scratches. It's got RL on both sides, with the narrow dead wax on Side 2. Only cost me $7.50.

The sound is truly a revelation...especially the MONSTER low end, which I always found lacking on other pressings of this album. Add the sparkling clarity and incredible overall fidelity...and it's truly amazing that a 37-year-old album can sound this good. Very little surface noise, snaps, crackles, pops, etc.

The best Led Zep II has ever sounded to these ears. Thanks for the enlightenment! :)

16. pope_ttb_xxx

pope_ttb_xxx New Member

I believe you hit the trifecta:

1. RL both sides
    2. Narrow deadwax
    3. Decent condition

Way to go.

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

What about overload on the loud passages such as the power chords during the Whole Lotta Love solo, are you hearing that? I heard a 24/96 needledrop recently of the Classic vinyl version and it was definitely there. As mentioned in this post, Page has stated that the album was recorded with overload.

18. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Thanks...my lucky day, definitely. On the way home I thought "Maybe these vinyl hounds on the Hoffman site are just imagining it..." WRONG. Anyone who's ever heard this album will notice the unmistakable difference in sound quality. You don't need an audiophile's ear, either. Now, to begin my quest for a mint copy...

Yeah, there's some slight "overload" here and there, but as the other post stated, I believe it's just how the album was recorded. Pagey had the amps turned up to 11, I guess...

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

congratulations. :)

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

P.S. if you like the sound of the Zep II, try to find an 'RL' copy of Leslie West - Mountain (Windfall 1969) with a fuzz bass tone that'll knock your socks off!

21. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

Since reading this thread I've found two RL Led Zeppelin II's on eBay. The first was RL on one side only, the second was RL on both sides. They cost me $6.99 and $9.99.

I'm waiting for them to arrive.

22. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Good for you!

23. mtodde

mtodde New Member

Now I'm on the hunt.

What is the best pressing of Led Zep I?

24. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I've been looking for an RL cut all summer, but I've never seen one. I see a lot of ones that have RG in the run out grooves, whatever that stands for, and PR in the runout as well. Are these pressings that rare?

25. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

the Classic 200g reissue beats my first US issue 'AT/GP', but it's not a landslide. the vinyl vs. the CD's, now that's a landslide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.