RL Cut Led Zeppelin II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

This is probably worthy of another thread, but I think my original plum UK pressing of Zep I sounds fantastic--and much better than my fairly early U.S. Red/Green. Although I haven't heard it, The Classic is also highly praised around here (if a bit bass shy for some). Perhaps someone with the new Classic 45 RPM will chime in as well.

2. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I have the US white label promo, UK first pressing (with the first stampers), the German first pressing and the Japanese Warner-Pioneer (not the Nippon Gramophone original with the blue/white/green label). I do not have the Classic reissue of this one.

I have never felt the need to A/B this title, since all of the pressings that I have all sound good to me (or bad to me, depending on your point of view, as this one is not an audiophile recording in the first place, at least not as much as Led Zep II). There are sonic differences, however, and I think different listeners will differ in their opinions depending what their preferences and audio systems are. The UK definitely has more reverb (therefore, warmer or more tubey sounding) and wonderful bass. The other pressings, however, also have their merit points.

Someone should start a thread on this.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

There are a number of Led Zep vinyl threads... a few of them started by me! :D I can say that the most recommended copy of LZ I is the Classic edition. I am very happy with it... much better than all the old US copies that I bought (and sold).

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Here's a thread where I asked what editions were best for Led Zep vinyl, on an album by album basis.

Zeppelin on LP... what to get?

I'd recommend:

LZ I - Classic
    LZ II - RL
    LZ III - Classic
    LZ IV - George Peckham cut
    HOTH - RL Sterling
    Physical Grafitti - AT/GP
    Presence - AT/GP
    In Through The Out Door - Specialty Records 80s cut (maybe Classic? Haven't heard it)
    Coda - Standard original release - EDP

5. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

No arguments from me. Sounds about right. :righton:

6. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

:thumbsup:

I need to amend my list though:

LZ III - Canadian red label

7. mtodde

mtodde New Member

Thanks! I'll use this as my starting point.

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

My picks for LZ on wax

differences to other recommendations in bold-face.

LZ I - Classic
    LZ II - RL
    LZ III - original US pressing with 'Do what thou wilt' nonsense in dead wax
    LZ IV - Classic
    HOTH - RL Sterling
    Physical Grafitti - Classic
    Presence - Classic
    In Through The Out Door - don't own this album, i abstain
    Coda - Standard original release - EDP

9. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Cool...I'll be on the lookout for that one, plus Nantucket Sleighride, a personal fave. :righton:

10. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

Got my first RL Led Zeppelin II copy last night. It's pretty beaten up but plays surprisingly well.

I now know what the fuss is about. I heard that it was withdrawn because the 1969 turntable needles were bouncing. I can understand that as my first listen was on headphones (wife was sleeping at midnight). My headphones were literally bouncing on my ears. I've never had that happen before. Sounds awesome !!!

I'm going home tonight to hear it full blast on my speakers.

11. paul.y

paul.y New Member

led zeppelin II

I bought led zeppelin II when it came out, November, 1969. Every copy I took home skipped during Whole Lotta Love and Moby Dick. After 5 returns, the department store manager made me keep #6 and it still skipped. I still have that record and it is a RL pressing. I knew a few others who bought the record in November, 1969, and some of them had problems, too...I did not get a copy that did not skip until I found one used, in 1971...

12. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

That was my experience and introduction to Led Zeppelin, as a 14 year old kid.... in October of 1969, with the Koss headphones on, and a Garrard turntable.... dropping that needle.... I was instantly in sonic Heaven for the first time in my life... "WLL" & "HB" just blew my socks off!!!! It was.... a life-changing experience! You get so few of those!!:agree:

Whatever Zeppelin was, I wanted it, I wanted to be immersed in all of it! I must have listened to LZ II, EVERY night before retiring to bed, for a long, long, time...
    It was actually a blessing that I did not have my own stereo system at the time, and thereby had to use my folks stereo system. I already knew that there was no way I was going to get to blast and rock'n'roll in the house, so playing the records [loudly] through the headphones was my only and best solution.:D

:angel: I pity those who have not gotten an oppourtunity to listen to an RL pressing of LZ II, with a great pair of headphones on! :edthumbs: :edthumbs:

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I have the original press of 'Led Zeppelin,' and it is incredible. I can't see how the Classic reissue would beat it. I'm not getting it anyway. muahahaha

14. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

LEd Zep or Led Zep 2? The Led Zep 1 on Classic rocks.

15. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I thought the Classic stuff was kind of a mixed blessing. In Through The Out Door sounds best to me on the original 1st US pressing(Sterling?) I believe).

16. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I recently did a shootout between the MOFI LZ II and the RL. The MOFI had way too much top end... and overall it seemed clinical. The RL is a different beast altogether. It just plain rocks. It sounded like two completely different tapes were used.

17. motorcitydave

Led Zepp 1 on Atlantic, with the picture sleeve of other Altlantic artists.

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Well you gotta try it man ( the classic).. get a use one cheap. Its worth the comparison to let us know what ya think :)

19. motorcitydave

True, I'll look for it...

However, this is not exactly the first press from what I've been told. THe first actual press was in fact on the purple and brown Atco label!

Correct me if I'm wrong...

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

The first "press" can really only be identified by the matrix codes. Labels are only part of the story. :) For example, they could have run across a bunch of old purple and brown labels in 1969 and used them up on LZII. Likewise, they could have reused the first pressing stampers at a later date.

21. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

:agree: . I am learning this

22. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I have an early 80's Canadian pressing of ITTOD with "strawberry" on the deadwax, whcih I've read is not supposed to be that great. I don't mind it, but the top end seems to be a bit weak, as if it was rolled off somewhat. I got the Classic and it doesn't really sound that much different, a bit better bass but that's it. However, both sound far nicer than the CDs, especially the remaster.

23. motorcitydave

Ok, gotcha. Thank you for the info.

24. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Here's my recommendation:

LZ I - Classic or UK
    LZ II - US RL
    LZ III - UK Pecko
    LZ IV - Classic or Canadian
    HOTH - UK Pecko
    Physical Grafitti - Classic

25. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

So, this week I found a noisy RL. At least I can hear what you guys are talking about now.:righton:

Also found a Spanish LZII on vinyl. It's pretty good in the bass dept, weak in the mids and it's very clean. Anyone else heard this? Looks like a 1981 mastering for the label Hispavox???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.