RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) denied due to being too "demanding"**

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Ola Rundberget, Dec 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident Thread Starter

So my war still fares on.. my RMA was denied from a local store in Oslo due to me beeing to "demanding" regarding warped records and other defects.

"
    can not see from the video what is wrong with this album. We have received complaints from over a long period of time from
    you who we believe are in "borderland" on what one should accept as a vinyl buyer. Our policy is basically
    that the customer is mostly right, but thinks in principle that as long as the album plays as it should, ie the music
    sounds correct, then there is no basis for a complaint if a disc has some dents and skews (unless it
    then affects playback).
    So we have to get a clarification now on what your expectation level is on the records you buy from us. We have
    No other customers who complains as often and as nearly consistently as you do. I emphasize that I do not
    necessarily think that in no, many, or all cases you may not be right, but I think it is striking and we
    have to have a dialogue on this now.
    As you know, we happily clean up faulty goods, but we need to agree here on what is actually a faulty goods."

So yeah, there you go. They do not accept RMA's as long as the record plays fine. Does not matter if its warped or not..

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It seems fair to me.

3. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

4. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I'm wondering the same. Thread is a mystery to me.

Deek57 likes this.
  5. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Some people are too picky. If you want 100% perfection, you should choose a different medium. Listen more, worry less.

6. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

OH, apparently it means 'return merchandise authorization' and whoever this person tried to return this to has decided he does this entirely too often.

7. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Do you send the wine back in restaurants too?

mr. steak likes this.
  8. Ola Rundberget

To defend myself:
    Im not returning over minor stuff:
    Minor warps etc. Im talking about edgewarps, warps and off center records, and the occational non-fill.

And to often? nah, of the 15 or so records bought from that store this year, only 4 was returned.

Zack likes this.
  9. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Based on the situation you're both describing, their email seems entirely reasonable to me. Vinyl may not be the medium for you.

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

20ish percent is hardly a small amount.

caravan70, Kyhl, AaronW and 7 others like this.
  11. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

They are merely asking for a dialogue, based upon the fact that you are an outlier in the customer base and, presumably, costing them money.

caravan70, tmtomh, Ere and 4 others like this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I think the issue may be is you view it as a "War".

If that's your relationship with this store then maybe time to find a new store and work on both your relationship and dialogue with said new store.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Can someone fix the spelling of the title?

Rob Hughes and mr. steak like this.

14. Have you noticed pattern? Specific label, genre, artist, etc.,?

you may want to investigate who is doing the pressing before you buy

and also tell them if you already know specifics

otherwise you might come off wrong

like many well adjusted SH. Tv members

tmtomh likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Every return cuts into their profit margins. If these are new/sealed releases, it cuts dearly (and they're not returnable by the retailer).

So if you are a "problem" buyer, they are better off without you.

If you're returning 20-25% of what you buy, you're a problem buyer. You aren't profitable.

Find somewhere else to buy or perhaps you need to move on from vinyl.

16. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

26.6% to be exact.

tmtomh and ARK like this.
  17. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

If those are indeed the problems you've been experiencing, then returning should be justified since all of these defects will affect the sound of the record. I've never had this kind of bad luck with new records though. Occasionally, but definitely not 1 out of every 5 records I order.

spindly, tmtomh and akmonday like this.
  18. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization.

It's the document process process of returning a product to a business to receive a refund, replacement, or repair. In this step, the business and customer discuss the problem and the business determines the validity of the issue.

DTK likes this.
  19. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Was the OP run through an auto-translator ?

20. Ola Rundberget

Sorry about the title. I use RMA as return to manufacturer..

tmtomh and ARK like this.
  21. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Most physical and online realtors say they will accept returns of defective vinyl. Perhaps they should be more specific....something along the line of "minor defects not affecting play will not be accepted for return" and give a few examples. Such a stated policy would prevent misunderstanding.

22. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

That seems like a reasonable email. The customer is usually right but they handle things on a case by case basis and want to discuss what your expectations are versus their expectations. Returning 4 out of 15 purchases is nearly a third of your purchases and it costs them time and money to process the returns, money they don’t get back from the manufacturer, and if they determine the records play fine without audible issue then they’re paying for labor and shipping for nothing. Having worked in retail a long time that seems like a completely reasonable stance on their part.

23. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

If a record is warped, it's defective.

formu_la, gregorya and Vinyl1969 like this.
  24. Ola Rundberget

Sorry about the confusing title and any other errors in the post.

They have no other statement about returns than if you have recived a defective product, just contact us and we send you a new copy once we have the defect in return.

I have never returned anything will minor warping. More severe warps yes, and non - fill defects.

c-eling likes this.
  25. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be more reasonable to inspects the goods before despatching them to their clients? When one goes to a record shop , the sales assistant should make a visual inspection before making the sale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.