RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) denied due to being too "demanding"**

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Ola Rundberget, Dec 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Buying new vinyl these days is a roll of the dice. So, unless the vinyl is so much better (mastering, packaging, etc.) than the digital version, do not bother buying vinyl. And if you must, make sure the pressing plant is decent (Pallas, RTI, QRP), even then it could be hit or miss. This forum is great for finding out if a pressing is a dud.

PH416156, JMR and tmtomh like this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

3. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is! And i also understand why its frustrating for the store. But that still does not justify their - you are the only customer who on a regular basis that complains statement.

I actually contacted Sundazed directly regarding the last purchase with an attached video of said record with an edge warp. They have sent me a new one, from the States. Free of charge.

The very same video was sent to the store where i bought it, and they rejected it saying they could not see the issue.

Just because im apparently the only one complaining, does that mean that vinyl records are flawless? The stores attitude towards me when i return stuff says so.

From the first time i returned a record with non-fill issues they had an attitude issue. As they seemd to never have heard of non-fill before.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  4. Ola Rundberget

Look, i sent them video evidence of the warps that the records i bought had. They stated that i did not had to do this, just contact us and well send you a new flawless copy.

And the out of the blue im confronted with that im apparently the only one that complians and almost consequentely returns records because im maybe i have unrealistic standards in what to expect of a 40-50 dollar record.

Is it me who's to unrealistic in my expections, or simply that some pressing plants have ****ty QC and that 95% of this stores customers are 18-25 years old and thinks that records should have warps and other flaws?

And what bothers me the most is this stores very low insight in pressing defects.
    They had never heard of non-fill, or even off center.

showtaper likes this.
  5. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

I have read and digested this whole thread.

If these are $40 to $50 LPs, you my friend are not the one at fault . . . at least from this distance (my seat in the peanut gallery).

Best to you,
    Chaz

gregorya likes this.
  6. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

At this point you know the store's position. They want a dialog with you. If you can come to a mutual agreement as to a level of quality that is acceptable, then it sounds like they will continue to sell to you. But they aren't interested in continuing to ship vinyl to you if your expectations are such that they will lose money by having you as a customer. What more do you want them to say?

Move on to a different seller.

Quite frankly, I've seen other people here (mostly in the thread where people complained about being banned by Amazon for excessive returns) with a similar dilemma. I get that it might be hard (or even impossible) to find a brick-and-mortar store where you can buy things in person after inspecting them, but surely you can find a different online seller even if it costs you more. A store is under no obligation to keep serving a customer who causes them to lose money.

Merrick likes this.
  7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Why should the consumer suffer because the pressing plants cannot seem to make acceptable records? And added to that is their refusal to take returns from the stores, leaving the merchant to deal with the mess.

When I buy a new sealed record or CD, I expect it to be as close to perfect as possible. Especially with the prices being charged for the product.

gregorya likes this.
  8. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I buy a lot of new records and haven't had a single record that I have had to return due to defects, maybe I am just super lucky, I don't know, but some seem to be super picky.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

And why should the customer be judged, because he feels he has a right to expect better than those who are apparently easier to satisfy.

This is not the fault of a customer who respects his own purchases...it is the fault of the customer who doesn't stand up for himself, or doesn't know the difference.

If the industry is trying to tell the marketplace, their product is better than the alternative (a CD), it is upon them to put up or shut up.

I've never gotten a warped CD, so why should I be satisfied paying twice as much, with the expectation that "I might just have to eat a bum disc now and again".

Ola Rundberget likes this.
  10. Ola Rundberget

These are video-files of each of the 5 records i have complained about this year:

Dropbox - Vid1.mp4 - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Vid2.mp4 - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Vid3.mp4 - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Vid4.mp4 - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Vid5.mp4 - Simplify your life ( this is the record in which the store contacted me and confronted me with my allegeded return-rate, the same video was sent to Sundazed who has replaced it free of charge and sent from the States to Norway )

Am i too picky in the quality of these records?

11. Ola Rundberget

I have replied respectfully and have told them my viewpoint. No reply so lets see.
    But i have uploaded some video-files so you can judge yourself.

12. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I would not have returned any of those.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    AaronW, AJH, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  13. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Yeah, I have seen much worse records!

Joseph.McClure and tmtomh like this.
  14. AJH

AJH Senior Member

If these “defects” bother you that much, I respectfully suggest you move on to digital downloads or CD’s.

AaronW and Joseph.McClure like this.
  15. easyge

easyge Senior Member

Yes. Those videos show normal warps that your turntable should easily track. Those warps are not defects. Now, if your stylus mistracked due to a severe warp, then you may have a valid claim.

Lost In The Flood and AaronW like this.
  16. I'm sending you back !

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  17. Which half of the forum ?

NekoM likes this.
  18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Annoying as they are, I'd live with 1, 2, 3 and 5. Number 4 looks worse (about 3-4 seconds in) so not sure about that one as that warp is more pronounced. Hard to tell just by video alone.

I disagree with those stating these are not defects though. IMO they are. They might not be audible but they are defects none the less. But, with records I have found you have to accept a certain level of imperfection.

formu_la and Strat-Mangler like this.
  19. easyge

easyge Senior Member

They may not be "defects", per se, but we all know that most records are not perfectly flat. Those in the videos are to me, perfectly acceptable. Now, my RSD record of King's X, Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous is significantly warped, much worse than the images posted here and it looks like it may be unplayable. This record is widely known to be warped on a lot of copies. Since it is a limited edition run I am going to see if it tracks on all my tables. If so, then I will ship it to Guy Gadbois to have it flattened for a reasonable price.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.